I've got an opportunity to go on a World Challenge trip to Nepal. It's a 1-month trip, in which we'll probably trek for upto 3 weeks in and around the Himalayas, with a maximum peak of about 5400 metres above sea level.

For those who don't know what World Challenge is... It's a 1-month trip to a faraway country where you trek, experience and do work for the local communities.

I missed out last time on my chance to go to Chile, what does the pit think? It'll probably cost in the region of £3000-3500 and I may be able to get some good friends to accompany me, too.

Has anyone in here ever been on world challenge? Or even better; has anybody ever visited Nepal, especially on World Challenge? Thanks.

The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
GO.

Seriously, fucking GO!

I went to Guatemala and Belize this summer with World Challenge and it was, without a doubt, the single most difficult, yet thoroughly enjoyable and rewarding thing I have ever done. £3500 seems like a lot of money, my expedition fee was about the same. After only 2 days on expedition, I knew that it was going to be worth every penny. I went with a group from my school and we formed an amazingly close group by the end of the expedition, I'd put my trust in any of the guys I went with.

Put your name down, TOMORROW!

Any other questions about World Challenge, feel free to hurl them my way.

PS: GO!
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
u have to pay? no dont go, buy a new guitar, screw views and sights, u have google images/maps
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Quote by nowa90
u have to pay? no dont go, buy a new guitar, screw views and sights, u have google images/maps

You have NO idea how amazing a month away with little more than a backpack and your wits can be.
Quote by buckethead_jr
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Quote by nowa90

can someone sig that?
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Quote by -February-Star-
GO.

Seriously, fucking GO!

I went to Guatemala and Belize this summer with World Challenge and it was, without a doubt, the single most difficult, yet thoroughly enjoyable and rewarding thing I have ever done. £3500 seems like a lot of money, my expedition fee was about the same. After only 2 days on expedition, I knew that it was going to be worth every penny. I went with a group from my school and we formed an amazingly close group by the end of the expedition, I'd put my trust in any of the guys I went with.

Put your name down, TOMORROW!

Any other questions about World Challenge, feel free to hurl them my way.

PS: GO!

So £3500 for you too, that's cool then.

It's in 2010, so we've a while to get the money together.

I think I will go I just wanted opinions.

Sounds like the experience would be great. And if world challenge say Nepal is one of the more challenging treks, then that's even better. Our group this year went to Chile, which turned out to be not as challenging as they expected; Chile's rather more developed than most WC countries.
Quote by MrCarrot

So £3500 for you too, that's cool then.

It's in 2010, so we've a while to get the money together.

I think I will go I just wanted opinions.

Sounds like the experience would be great. And if world challenge say Nepal is one of the more challenging treks, then that's even better. Our group this year went to Chile, which turned out to be not as challenging as they expected; Chile's rather more developed than most WC countries.

Yeah, World Challenge have to keep removing destinations as the countries get too developed haha. A long time ago, they used to do a tundra expedition to Canada but it got 'too easy' so they pulled it.

Make sure you get into fundraising/working/sponsorship as SOON as possible, those 18 months will FLY by. We applied early so we could choose our destination and had just over 2 years to raise funds. I only JUST managed it. Literally, I made the final payment about a month before we went, then had to keep working my job to get money for kit etc. Make sure you take buying kit into consideration, it can add up to a LOT very quickly.
Quote by buckethead_jr
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Quote by -February-Star-
Yeah, World Challenge have to keep removing destinations as the countries get too developed haha. A long time ago, they used to do a tundra expedition to Canada but it got 'too easy' so they pulled it.

Make sure you get into fundraising/working/sponsorship as SOON as possible, those 18 months will FLY by. We applied early so we could choose our destination and had just over 2 years to raise funds. I only JUST managed it. Literally, I made the final payment about a month before we went, then had to keep working my job to get money for kit etc. Make sure you take buying kit into consideration, it can add up to a LOT very quickly.
Yeah I can imagine

Did your parents help you out at all? How much did you spend on kit?
Definitely try and go. I would love to do something like this. It is a life changing experience.
£3000-3500 for one month...?
Personally I'd either

A) Look into other airlines companies

B) Travel around europe. For £280 you can travel as much as you want to, anywhere in europe for one month (if you're under 25, for older than 25 it's £450) with the interrail thing. So you can travel like a year in europe, anywhere and how much you want to for the same amount of money.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Last edited by Kensai at Nov 12, 2008,
That's amazing. I would love to go on something like that.

hell, I will look into it now
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

I'd love to go to Nepal one day. Good luck man!
Quote by HuckIt
I didn't find it that funny when I saw myself doing him in missionary position...

Quote by Oblivion_Rps
I was having sex with a female dolphin. In the dream I was like:
"YEEEEEEEAAAARGH I'M SCREWIN' A FEMALE DOLPHIN!!!" and when I woke up I was like:
"... wtf"
Quote by nowa90
can someone sig that?

No. It wasn't that great.

Anyway if it was me I would go for the experiance.
Some of my mates are going on the world challenge to Peru. I was gonna go too until I heard I wouldn't be able to have a shower for weeks at a time
wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

FOR JUST £2 A WEEK, YOU CAN PREVENT THIS.
Quote by nowa90

You sir are a parasite
Quote by MrCarrot
Yeah I can imagine

Did your parents help you out at all? How much did you spend on kit?

My mum paid the initial £200 deposit. Apart from that, it was all my own money from work, sponsored events, fundraisers etc.

I think I spent about £250 on kit and took about £100 in spending money. It doesn't seem like a lot for a whole month, but I only just managed to spend it all, everything was dirt cheap out there.

Quote by Kensai
£3000-3500 for one month...?
Personally I'd either

A) Look into other airlines companies

B) Travel around europe. For £280 you can travel as much as you want to, anywhere in europe for one month (if you're under 25, for older than 25 it's £450) with the interrail thing. So you can travel like a year in europe, anywhere and how much you want to for the same amount of money.

It's not just the air fares that make the cost. The price includes insurance for the whole month, which makes up a large part because it's a long expedition to a 'high risk' area in terms of crime, natural disasters etc. It also includes your entire budget for food, accommodation, transport etc. while you're out there.
Quote by buckethead_jr
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Quote by -February-Star-
It's not just the air fares that make the cost. The price includes insurance for the whole month, which makes up a large part because it's a long expedition to a 'high risk' area in terms of crime, natural disasters etc. It also includes your entire budget for food, accommodation, transport etc. while you're out there.

Yeah I didn't think so, but sometimes it's ludicrously high.

I'd still trek around europe if you're going for the experience. You could be out for months and not have any pressure on you where to go. Take the nighttrain to ireland then the next day back to switzerland. You can see so much and it's alot of variation.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Do it for the Laney cult.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by -February-Star-

You have NO idea how amazing a month away with little more than a backpack and your wits can be.

I'm doing this next year, to Costa Rice or Borneo, can't wait
When I went to India it was with World Challenge. We were originally meant to be doing Nepal- the Annapurna circuit- but because of political problems we didn't. If you have a good guy or gal taking you out there, and with good people- not necessarily people you know- you'll have the time of your life.

If your expedition leader from World Challenge is a guy called Ryan Glass, you'll be in for fun times. But not really. He's a gimp.

But yeah, tips- wet clothes for the day, so you have dry at night. Cheap clothes (but don't scrimp on socks, boots or waterproofs), as you'll probably find yourself giving away a lot of your stuff- it's a nice gesture to the locals.

Bring condoms. Not for secking the indiginous, but for when washing on trek- don't want anything nasty going up your wang.

If you have any questions, just throw us a line.
Quote by MrCarrot

Has anyone in here ever been on world challenge? Or even better; has anybody ever visited Nepal, especially on World Challenge? Thanks.

Hi, I'm from Nepal. Not familiar with the himalayas though, I live in the capital.
That is a very cool opportunity, but that is a beefy price tag.
Make to explore other options (I like Kensai's idea), before you go ahead and sign up for it.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator