OK, anyone who has read any of my posts over the past 72 hours(minus the brad paisley one) knows that i'm looking to get me a od pedal (maybe a distortion pedal) soon, but i've run into a problem. every pedal ive looked at claims to somehow get a vintage tone. what if you want a modern tone? I dont want a pedal that will make my amp "sound like a cranked vintage Marshall." Why don't they have od's taht will make your amp sound like a Mesa-boogie or the like? I dont know if that's even what i want, but dangit! i'm tired of seeing everything trying to be old! why can't something be new and good for once?

or am i just ranting about nothing and overlooking some brands/pedals?

oh well,

Sam
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Well and OD pedal is mimicing overdriven power tubes which is basically classic rock. For metal you want preamp saturation and for that you need to get an od pedal put the level at 10 and gain at 0 to boost the existing preamp tubes in your amp. But that is if you already have a metal amp. If you do not then you need a distortion pedal...

As for which pedal there are hundreds.... Be a bit more specific what type of metal or bands do you play?
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Nov 12, 2008,
you should be looking for a distortion pedal if you want tones like that, not an OD unless your using your OD as a straight boost or some color....OD and distortion are totally different
Quote by evening_crow
As far as i know the only liquor that should not be stored after opened is wine, and even then it's mainly the french one. American wine usually has conservatives in it to stop this.
If you want a mesa/boogie tone, get a mesa boogie.

A pedal cannot recreate the sound of a certain amp.

Also: Overdrive pedals are just distortion pedals. People use them as clean boosts because of the eq curves they have.
Quote by imgooley
If you want a mesa/boogie tone, get a mesa boogie.

A pedal cannot recreate the sound of a certain amp.

Also: Overdrive pedals are just distortion pedals. People use them as clean boosts because of the eq curves they have.

overdrive is NOT the same as distortion
Quote by evening_crow
As far as i know the only liquor that should not be stored after opened is wine, and even then it's mainly the french one. American wine usually has conservatives in it to stop this.
so let me get this straight, in order to have a sorta clean boost/crunch and a modern beefy distortion...i really need two pedals (ignore the jeckyl and hyde, i really didnt care for the ds on that pedal)
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
yes, or you could look into a higer quality pedal with distortion and completley clean boost at lower drive settings and a little crunch at higher settings...a la the Fulltone GT-500

btw, your a lucky man with that silvertone.
Quote by evening_crow
Quote by htsktim91989
yes, or you could look into a higer quality pedal with distortion and completley clean boost at lower drive settings and a little crunch at higher settings...a la the Fulltone GT-500

btw, your a lucky man with that silvertone.

lol yea, its pretty sweet. i'll tel you what though, that sucker is temperamental, but you can't ask for much when you only pay $50

yea, ive been looking at the GT, it looks pretty sweet, but i cant get a good feed of how thick the distortion actually gets.
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
haha the distortion is f uckin' WILD even at low settings....the best thing is your can run the distortion into the boost, or the boost into the distortion, theres a toggle switch on the top to switch which way the circuit goes...a lot of tonal variation, considering each side of the pedal has its own EQ
Quote by evening_crow
Quote by htsktim91989
haha the distortion is f uckin' WILD even at low settings....the best thing is your can run the distortion into the boost, or the boost into the distortion, theres a toggle switch on the top to switch which way the circuit goes...a lot of tonal variation, considering each side of the pedal has its own EQ

lol ok sweetness, that's what i'm aiming for then. that's just $20 more than i was planning on spending.

thanks!!
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by htsktim91989
overdrive is NOT the same as distortion

Actually it is, they work the same way...
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
Actually it is, they work the same way...

no they definitely dont. some can be asymmetrical clipping, or symmetrical which are totally different in themselves. the input signal of overdrive pedals is the exact opposite of the amount of gain, whereas in distortion pedals the input signal is limited to within a certain range.
Quote by evening_crow
Quote by htsktim91989
no they definitely dont. some can be asymmetrical clipping, or symmetrical which are totally different in themselves. the input signal of overdrive pedals is the exact opposite of the amount of gain, whereas in distortion pedals the input signal is limited to within a certain range.

Distortion refers to a distortion of the wave form, nothing else. Overdrive is a form of distortion.

And I don't understand what you mean with your second sentence. An overdrive pedal with the gain up emulates tube overdrive through a clean amp by creating diode clipping in the pedal. The same is true about a distortion pedal.
Quote by bored_maniac33
so let me get this straight, in order to have a sorta clean boost/crunch and a modern beefy distortion...i really need two pedals (ignore the jeckyl and hyde, i really didnt care for the ds on that pedal)

Or one good amp.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.