up until now i have held the pick with thumb and the first two fingers. i have noticed that many guitarists use only one finger and thumb and was wondering whether its worth learning how to hold it the other way to play faster and to have control??
BLUE
RED
YELLOW
you kinda have to make like one of those face hands, idk how to explain it lol here's a pic.

it will take some time to get used to, thats what happend to me.

Edit: yeah man it's worth it, i had better control and I'm waaay faster now, it's also way easier to strum chords now this way.
D;
Last edited by ughhhhhhhh at Nov 12, 2008,
Quote by ughhhhhhhh
you kinda have to make like one of those face hands, idk how to explain it lol here's a pic.

Edit: yeah man it's worth it, i had better control and I'm waaay faster now, it's also way easier to strum chords now this way.

is that with one or two fingers???
BLUE
RED
YELLOW
Quote by ughhhhhhhh

That looks awkward as all get out.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
I don't think there's any particular right or wrong way, it just depends what's comfortable for you. I, for example, find it annoying having to hold it like the guy in the picture because I have little control with it.
I do that^ except my other 3 fingers hang loosely. It seems to work for me...

Usually doing what's comfortable is the right choice
I'm Tyler
that picture is with one finger
but there are many guitarist who use unorthodox grip for their pick,take james hetfield for example,he holds the pick with his thumb and two fingers...
this picture is the basic position that suits most people but hey if you feel like you are more comfortable playing the way you play it now dont sweat it
you style of playing will improve as you play so that way if you even do something wrong you will see for yourself that you have to change your bad habbits
hope i helped
i used to do it your way and now i do the one finger-one thumb method. i found it speed up my playing but its whatever is comfortable for you. i think james hetfield form metallica does it yoour way but a slightly varied way and he can play really fast
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
crappy drawing i know.

my index isnt really that str8 its more angled, but i do it like that more or less.
D;
You kinda poke it into a closed hand so you get better pick control and can also do pinch harmonics. This isnt necassarily the best for everything tho (jus metal really) u hav to adjust the way u hold the pick dependin on what genre and sound u want to produce, i.e. if you want abn aggressive pick attack then hold it like i said, if you wanna make it sound really soft while playing an acoustic song or something then its better to loosely hold it at the end of the pick.
where should my thumb be , sorry for all the questions but i wont better technique...
BLUE
RED
YELLOW
I change up how I hold the pick, sometimes like a key, sometimes like i am kinda pointing at the strings... what ever you feel comfortable... IMO as long as you dont anchor your golden...