Hey people, I'm not preaching my own abilities here, I'm relatively poor at shred but I've been trying really hard recently with alternate picking at speed using this exercise

E-------------------------
B-------------------------
G-------------------------
D-------------10---------
A-10-12-13----13-12
E------------------------

Which is a Paul Gilbert lick in an easier shape, ANYWAY after a month of playing this over and over I've come to the conclusion that there are 2 things that are the most important and have helped me improve

1.Relax! relax that wrist of yours, tensing up makes it near impossible

2.As Gilbert says, 'don't press the gas if you can't steer'
It's easy to pick very fast but to hit the right fret at the same time is a different story. Make sure you're hitting the right fret every time

Just my two cents

Anthony
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
wow, you're so amazingly cool...
Eat this, today's music-lovers!
Quote by rabidguitarist
A lot of music isn't really going anywhere. There are tons of fans in here going 'oh my god, <> is evolving so much and <> is so shit lol!' but tons of it is just recycled material and tired ideas.
Quote by DeathOn2Legs

Hi you sarcastic retard, PG used this lick to pretty much learn shred, of course he built on it but this was his building block. Don't be sarcastic as well you arrogant prick, won't get you far in life...o wait you're Russian nvm...
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Last edited by sharpant at Nov 12, 2008,
Quote by sharpant
Hi you sarcastic retard, PG used this lick to pretty much learn shred, of course he built on it but this was his building block. Don't be sarcastic as well you arrogant prick, won't get you far in life...o wait you're German nvm...

hahaha german. seriously man why you gotta be such a jerk? he posted the thread to help other people. your a loser man
Quote by sharpant
First of all, its YOU'RE , learn some grammar kid

He posted the thread to help other people?

No, he posted

I posted the thread....

i dont think he was talking to you ....

anyway just to add a little to this

that is a usefull pattern but it does neglect the the ring or pinky finger (depending on fingereing) however theres an alternate picking run in the song "bloodmeat" by protest the hero near the end of the song which uses a similar pattern but switches it around to cover all the fingers, works great for picking practice.

tab for which can be found here http://dl.guitarworld.com/pdf/GW0708%20bloodmeat.pdf (bar 86)
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Last edited by tommyt at Nov 12, 2008,
My mistake, apologies, I use my little/4th finger for this exercise. I'll be sure to check out you're recommendation
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
That's good information, thank you for sharing.
As for the other people not so grateful, you're not required to reply with some negative comments, but I AM required to report you if you do