I made a thread for this a while ago, in the wrong section though to be honest.
It didn't really get answered anyway.

Basically what I'm looking at, is the actual picking motion.
jbbbbbbb worded what I'm looking for far better than I could've, so I'l just quote him

Quote by jbbbbbbb
I dont have an answer but I think I know what you are asking, as it was something that I was wondering a while back too. These picking motions I am about to use are exaggerated just to get the point across, but is this what you are trying to ask?

Say for example when you pick on 1 string, your alternate picking motion is || big . Yet when you switch strings, if you only rely on the pick with limited movement from the wrist, the pick motion is | | ...a little bigger. Are you asking if you should use the small motion for everything and learn to adjust your hand when you change strings? On the other hand are you also wondering if the 2nd motion (that allows you to cross strings) is the only motion that you should be practicing, even while playing on a single string since you have to do that motion anyways when you go to the next string?

Another way to view this would be to compare playing on 1 string to alternating d/u/d/u back and forth between 2 strings either via inside or outside picking. It is obviously easier to have a tighter motion when playing on just the 1 string. But for the d/u/d/u between the two, either the pick motion will have to be slightly greater or the hand will have to move the pick into place to compensate for the small motion that would only make it past the 1 string.

If this is any better of an explanation of the advice you are trying to find out, then hopefully somebody will be able to help you.

Anybody know what I'm on about?
Am I picking away at nothing? (no pun intended)
Quote by Corko93
Anybody know what I'm on about?
Am I picking away at nothing? (no pun intended)

What exactly is the question?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
As coppied from my other post (badly worded)

Okay so I've been playing 4 years, although if you heard me you'd probably think 4 weeks.

I'm trying to completely revamp my practice. I'm slowing everything down and going right to basic's.

So here's my question

Im looking at my alternate picking and wondering why im not getting any faster than 110bpm @ 16th notes.

I notice that after every note my wrist comes "outwards" away from the guitar abit. If I dont do this every time I change string my playing becomes dirty, unclean, or sometimes I just fail.

If economic movements is was I need. How do I find a balance between the 2 so that I can play clean yet fast.

Many thanks

-Corko93
Sorry to sound like a broken record but I'm afraid the answer is slow down.

Slow down to the point at which you can control every aspect of your movement and practice at that speed until you don't have to think about controlling the aspect of your movement you're trying to correct. Then, and only then, should you start to speed up.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
ahh i thought that would be it =\
So that I get to the point where im just picking without thinking off what motion I need?
got it

well that was simpler than I thought
No, you get slow enough that you are actually thinking about the picking motion, paying attention to it so you change your old bad habits into new good habits. See the sticky or first link in my sig.
corko, i know what you're talking about because this topic used to be in fore front of my mind for ages. my advice is the same as everbody else's:

slow down to the point where you can play cleanly and are completely aware of what you are doing. the key is to develop your awareness so that, just as freepower said, you turn bad habits into good habits. and whenever you slow down just remember that the key to good guitar playing is both awareness and establishing good habits, both of which you are going when playing slow and thinking about what you're doing.

to quote FP: "don't try harder. try smarter."
Okay so I'm aware of that.
But If I'm conciously changing my motion pf picking
Do I pick the string:

like - straight down or
like U down and out a little for any possible string change etc
Ahh thankyou
All this time I must have looked a right plonker with my wrist flicking out on every pickstroke haha.

Right.. now where's that damn metronome

Say for example when you pick on 1 string, your alternate picking motion is || big . Yet when you switch strings, if you only rely on the pick with limited movement from the wrist, the pick motion is | | ...a little bigger

Ok, this is a little hard to explain, but I'll try. The way you're thinking about it in the quoted bit is that there is one muscle movement involved. When you're picking on one string, the movement is small, when you cross, you make it bigger.

Think about it like this instead. There are two independent muscle movements. The little movement which is in charge of picking a string. Then there is the bigger movement which is in charge of moving from string to string. Ok, that's not totally clear. Another one - you know that silly (but somewhat totally awesome) thing that Paul Gilbert does with the drill? The little movement that's in charge of picking is the drill bit rotating with a pick attached to it. So if Paul wants to drill a different string? Well, he moves the drill. Nothing changes about how the drill bit is moving (duh, obviously!).

So, applied to a human - make small movements with your wrist to do the actual picking. Move your elbow a little* to change strings - the whole hand moves, but the small wrist picking movements continue unaffected.

*you can also change the angle of your wrist. If the string crossing is pretty localized like only over 2-3 strings, you can use the wrist angle adjustment. If you have to rip through all 6 strings, the elbow movements is best (as you'd have to adjust the wrist angle to the point where you'd be picking at too much of an angle).

And yup, it's a sh!t load of practice to really get this stuff down.
I've been thinking, ever since I changed my picking motion, the skin of my thumb comes into contact with the strings. It doesn't affect sound, but I'm not sure if it would affect my picking speed. Help?
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.