I have been looking for a new guitar recently and i though i would give Caparison a try as they have quite good press and an impressive list of endorsees.

I tried a Dellinger and a Horus in GuitarGuitar in Newcastle last weekend and i was blown away with how well these played, but something bugged me.

I looked at the way the pickups were mounted and the humbuckers souldering looked pretty scetchy.

I have been assured they are built to the highest standards but i need to get some other opinions from the wise UG guys.

Whats your opinions on Caparsion guitars.
especially the Horus as i prefered that to the dellinger.
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

Marshall DSL100 Halfstack

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
the pups wouldn't be to hard to remount i'd think, and resoldering is an easy job, so if you like the Horus go for it,
To be honest, the amount they cost they'd better be absolutely perfect; if not they're overpriced.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
^ Agreed.

If I can find a store near me I would want to try them out too. I heard they have thick necks but I want to see how the neck joint feel like. Tom and Danrik from Evergrey uses them and what can I say, fanboy see fanboy want
Quote by Paroxysm
^ Agreed.

If I can find a store near me I would want to try them out too. I heard they have thick necks but I want to see how the neck joint feel like. Tom and Danrik from Evergrey uses them and what can I say, fanboy see fanboy want

The necks are variable radius and it is so noticable but it feels so good compared to ibanez which i play at the moment. The top of the neck is rather flat for shredding but they get rounder and thicker the further down you get which i find helps for solos and sweeps.

The amount of sustain i had available was awesome. I love that hotrail in the horus.
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
To be honest, the amount they cost they'd better be absolutely perfect; if not they're overpriced.

+1

Although try out some of the set neck / neck through builds. I tried out the Horus (27 fret one anyways) and I bloody hated it; even through the good ol' Mesa Dual Rec! The neck was pretty unslick and the fretboard was pretty dire. However, this could be the fact that it was so badly setup.

Then I tried out a Frozen Horizon one. (I think, it's got that sicknut blue colour thing going on ) And my god, it was absolutely amazing. Mega slick, great set up, sounded great (bearing in mind I'm going through an ENGL Screamer) and loved it to bits.

What's your budget anyways?
Quote by Mwoit
+1

Although try out some of the set neck / neck through builds. I tried out the Horus (27 fret one anyways) and I bloody hated it; even through the good ol' Mesa Dual Rec! The neck was pretty unslick and the fretboard was pretty dire. However, this could be the fact that it was so badly setup.

Then I tried out a Frozen Horizon one. (I think, it's got that sicknut blue colour thing going on ) And my god, it was absolutely amazing. Mega slick, great set up, sounded great (bearing in mind I'm going through an ENGL Screamer) and loved it to bits.

What's your budget anyways?

I found a horus online for £1240 and i cant really go much over that.
Thet TAT model (the through neck) is well over my budget.
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
/\

Order it from japan. Ikkebe-Gakki I believe stocks them. I found Dellingers on there for 1400 plus like 200 shipping to the US, or i guess in pounds (quid? not knowledgable on british money system aside from how to convert it), that would be about £700 plus another £100 for shipping to the US so I have no idea if that'd be more or less expensive to england.

Caparison's are top notch. If it wasn't for the fact that A) I don't have a ton of money right now and B) I constantly go from standard to Drop Tunings I'd without hesitation buy a Caparison Dellinger. Possibly the best guitar I've ever played; that's counting an LP custom (newer one) and several PRS (not a Modern Eagle though). Total Guitar was worried about the wiring since the pickup cavities are kind of wide and the wires could be dodgy, but everything in production's really tight. Sustain's incredible (especially since bolt-ons aren't often associated with killer sustain) and the stock caparison pickups were actually insanely good. I think I'd only replace the single coils on the Dellinger since the bridge was actually really friggin sweet sounding.

/not a Caparison Fanboy
^ i'm not sure if ordering from japan at the moment is the best idea- the pound has more or less died compared to the yen.

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

+1

if you ask me, they aren't good enough for the price they go for here in the UK- if they went for around half as much (the price they go for in japan, in other words), they'd be decent value.

that's based on the, er, one i've tried, in guitar guitar (in edinburgh).

i mean, you could get a custom-built guitar for a similar amount of money to the caparison, or a suhr, tyler, tom anderson for very little more, or a vigier for the same money or less.

I'd definitely take a vigier over a caparison, no question. But, personal preference and all that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by RG_FANMAN
especially since bolt-ons aren't often associated with killer sustain

Wrongly as it happens, the neck joint makes little to no difference, especially compared to other factors.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
^ +1

it's a total fallacy that bolt-on necks are somehow inferior, the tone is different, but that's a preference thing rather than "better" or "worse".

some of the best guitars (in my opinion) I've tried have been bolt-ons... I've tried maybe 8-10 guitars which I've been blown away by in my time trying guitars, and I'd say about half of those (if not more) have been bolt-ons...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ i'm not sure if ordering from japan at the moment is the best idea- the pound has more or less died compared to the yen.

+1

if you ask me, they aren't good enough for the price they go for here in the UK- if they went for around half as much (the price they go for in japan, in other words), they'd be decent value.

that's based on the, er, one i've tried, in guitar guitar (in edinburgh).

i mean, you could get a custom-built guitar for a similar amount of money to the caparison, or a suhr, tyler, tom anderson for very little more, or a vigier for the same money or less.

I'd definitely take a vigier over a caparison, no question. But, personal preference and all that.

Compared to the £700 -800 guitars i have played a Caparison was in a completely different league in sound, feel and looks.

I don't see how people can see them as over priced. They are better in my opinion than les pauls of similar price and also top end custom strats.
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
Quote by MetalheadA7X
Compared to the £700 -800 guitars i have played a Caparison was in a completely different league in sound, feel and looks.

I don't see how people can see them as over priced. They are better in my opinion than les pauls of similar price and also top end custom strats.

Well Dave said himself he's only played one so obviously he doesn't have the best viewpoint on it. If you think they're that good then by all means go for one; I saw a band that used them not too long ago and they sounded absolutely brilliant so why not?

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Wrongly as it happens, the neck joint makes little to no difference, especially compared to other factors.

Yes, I do know the neck joint type makes little difference in sustain, but it seems to be a common assumption that something like a set neck or a neck through would have more sustain.
^ but if the assumption is wrong?

Quote by MetalheadA7X
(a) Compared to the £700 -800 guitars i have played a Caparison was in a completely different league in sound, feel and looks.

(b) I don't see how people can see them as over priced. They are better in my opinion than les pauls of similar price and also top end custom strats.

(a) I would argue that a lot of guitars for sale here in the UK at £700-£800 are overpriced too.

(b) they are overpriced compared to what they go for in japan, where they're made. certainly before the pound completely collapsed versus the yen, you could buy a caparison in japan for about £600, maybe even less. You could have imported one, including shipping and customs, for about half the price of what they go for here.

if you ask me, that means overpriced.

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Well Dave said himself he's only played one so obviously he doesn't have the best viewpoint on it. If you think they're that good then by all means go for one; I saw a band that used them not too long ago and they sounded absolutely brilliant so why not?

oh yeah, of course. it's possible i tried a bad one... but as you said earlier in the thread, if they cost £1500, there shouldn't be a "bad" one, a "bad" one shouldn't be leaving the factory when they cost that much...

not that i'd say i tried a bad one, just it didn't feel £1500 good either.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by RG_FANMAN
Yes, I do know the neck joint type makes little difference in sustain, but it seems to be a common assumption that something like a set neck or a neck through would have more sustain.

Not really.
A common assumption would be that there wouldn't be too much of a difference (after all, bolt-on is in contact with the body more then a set-neck (or whichever one is glued in), etc.)
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO