3 7%
H&K Tube Factor
3 7%
Catalinbread Silver Kiss
2 5%
Other
10 24%
Voters: 41.
Cool. I need a new overdrive soon. Both to boost my Classic 30 and for drive for my Bandmaster. So I want a realy good natural gain, that lets the amps tone shine through. I'm mostly a bluesy, classic rock player so no metal muff, or whatever.
I don't really want a tubescreamer but I'll consider it. Try to keep it under 200 though.
Keely java boost?
ts808

Maxon?
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
fulldrive for the f*ckin' win!!! i would think the OCD adds a tad more character and it's own gain than the fulldrive II. plus, the fulldrive has some nice features and more versatility, especially if you go with the newer mosfet models.

very transparent. also, if you use it on your clean channel as a dirt box, alone it can provide a nice crunchy AC/DC/Boston/some GNR sound. it's beautiful really.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
In other words, I don't want some overdrive with boost functions, voicing switches, boosts etc. I'm looking for something a little more simple.
Silver kiss ftw.
^fair enough. simplicity is a good thing.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
i was gonna say a klon centaur, but i think it's over budget. EDIT: bear in mind, it's only one option, though. i haven't tried any od pedal on the market, by a long shot.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Fulldrive is pretty simple. The compcut takes the clipping out of the circuit and makes it a huge clean boost, the FM mode stands for flat mids and introduces the clipping section, but doesn't give a mid hump, the vintage mode introduces the mid hump. Comp cut has the least gain, FM introduces the clipping section and has way more gain, but less clean boosting ability. Vintage mode has a hair more gain than FM mode and has the mid hump.

Mosfet and standard switches between, well, mosfet and standard boosting, the mosfet has more lowend and is maybe a little crunchier, I always leave mine in mosfet mode.

The boost is not really a boost, but basically another channel with more gain. The blues shuffle and rock clip in my profile demonstrate it. It works great on the clean channel if you want the pedal to provide all the dirt. The boost channel use the boost knob to determine the amount of gain as opposed to the overdrive knob.

I know it seems complicated at first, but it's really pretty simple and all it's functions are useful.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I would go with the fulltone fulldrive over an ocd. I got an ocd for Christmas last year. honestly was a little over the top if you ask me. IT did work very well, however, as a boost (w/my set up anyway) because of its very transparent signal.
Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Yeah, I was confuzzed by it at first, but a quick scan through the instructions really cleared it up. It can do pretty much everything but metal, which isn't an issue for you.
Quote by mcrfobtai
I'm begining to look more closely at the fulldrive now that I understand how it works.

yeah, little more versatile overdrive.
Quote by protech487
yeah, little more versatile overdrive.

Exactly, that's what I'm begining to think. Plus all that's even cheaper then the silver kiss.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Yeah, I was confuzzed by it at first, but a quick scan through the instructions really cleared it up. It can do pretty much everything but metal, which isn't an issue for you.

The heaviest I ever go is thrash which I can just use this to boost my Peavey. And it's also only a little bit more expensive then the OCD.
Actually, I'm really starting to leant Fulldrive, despite what i originally thought.
Thanks so far, keep those opinions coming
I agree with what you said about the OCD, why get it when the FD2 is only 20 bucks more? If you look on the fulltone site they have older FD2s that have been converted to FD2 mosfets for 125 bucks. They also have FD2 mosfets for 140 bucks. Maybe get one of those?

http://fulltone.com/stpframe.html
Or just get teh silver kiss?

Quote by imgooley
Or just get teh silver kiss?

I'm tempted, BUT. The FD is a clean boost too, is cheaper and I have a hard time fiddling iht 2 eqs. Sometimes I like it but I often have trouble getting the sounds I want from 2 independant ones.

Quote by Kevin Saale
I agree with what you said about the OCD, why get it when the FD2 is only 20 bucks more? If you look on the fulltone site they have older FD2s that have been converted to FD2 mosfets for 125 bucks. They also have FD2 mosfets for 140 bucks. Maybe get one of those?

http://fulltone.com/stpframe.html

I probably will just scour ebay/cl for a good price (Read the sig) If not, I'm thinking the converted one looks nice.

EDIT: Like this http://cgi.ebay.com/Fulltone-Fulldrive-2_W0QQitemZ320316137315QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item320316137315&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Even though it hasn't met the reserve, it only has a day left. I actually may try to snatch this one up depending on how much it goes up.
Last edited by mcrfobtai at Nov 12, 2008,
fulldrive II ftw!!!

on comp. cut mode i understand how the boost works, but on FM and Vintage mode i haven't really heard a difference in sound. am i doing something wrong? usually i have level adjusted to not-too-loud volume (1/4) and tone at 4/5 then drive at 3/4 or more, and i don't engage the boost at all unless i'm in comp. cut (in which i would change formentioned settings)...how do i make the boost actually make an audible difference in vintage mode?

but yea, the pedal is pure bliss.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
fulldrive II ftw!!!

on comp. cut mode i understand how the boost works, but on FM and Vintage mode i haven't really heard a difference in sound. am i doing something wrong? usually i have level adjusted to not-too-loud volume (1/4) and tone at 4/5 then drive at 3/4 or more, and i don't engage the boost at all unless i'm in comp. cut (in which i would change formentioned settings)...how do i make the boost actually make an audible difference in vintage mode?

but yea, the pedal is pure bliss.

How how do you have the boost set? The boost basically just has more grit. I'll think I'll do a straight up demo of mine sometime with the master set lower on my amp as to eliminate some power tube clipping. Also, with the overdrive set as high as you have it it's harder to tell the difference between the OD and Boost channels.

Felix: That version doesn't have the mosfet, and I'd definitely say the mosfet is worth it. I never turn the mosfet off, it seems to add clarity, bass, and overall just sound better.
^ah i was wondering about that actually. i'm going to test that now..
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Lemme correct myself, the overdrive does affect the boost channel, but it's hard to tell if the overdrive is set any higher than say 10 o clock.

I just did a somewhat long winded demo, feel free to check it if you like. Warning, lots of dynamics so sometimes it quiet and sometimes it's loud. When I'm testing the comp cut it gets pretty loud and when I dime every knob and use the comp cut on the boost channel it gets very loud. It should be done uploading in a minute.
Has anyone tried the Menatone Red Snapper?
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Quote by voxAC30TBguy
visual sound route 66!!!!

sure does look cool
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Felix, why did I think you had a H&K Tube Factor? And if you do and don't want it, can I have it for a not-too-insane price?
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Shadow: I have the H&K. And at the moment, I have no intentions of getting rid of it.
:P
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Damn. I really gotta get a better job and spend less on food and booze, or I'll be stuck with an OS-2 (which I like, but don't plan to use forever) forever.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Although if the right offer came along... I may just let go of it.
But ATM, I'm in love with the thing. It's kind of funny to me how H&K's hype is "the technology of tone", and I have a 54 year old 12AU7 in it
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by occub
Has anyone tried the Menatone Red Snapper?

I have. It's a fine pedal. Only 3 knobs though, so not really for a tweaker.
Very transparent.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Hey Kev, those clips were great. I just listened. If I do get the Fulldrive, I definetly want the mosfet one. the regular sounds so much more thin and the mosfet really fattens it up. I liked it though