I just got a ts9 because I heard it was great for adding volume and a little gain to your solos, but when I used it in rehearsal last night it didnt seem to add much volume at all.

Im not sure what settings to use. I had the drive and volume a little past 12 oclock most of the time. Even with the gain and volume dimed it still didnt add volume. Am I doing something wrong? I run it in front of a Marshall 2000 TSL 100 on the crunch channel. Thanks in advance.
TS's don't have huge amounts of gain, since you're running it infront of the amp like any form of boost it'll just boost the preamp, more gain. If you want to use it exclusively as a solo boost then stick it in the FX loop.
try it next time with FULL volume and ZERO gain. that should produce more of a noticeable volume boost . as far as sticking it in the FX loop....uh...never tried that and honestly don't know how it sounds....but TS's weren't made for FX loops...

TS, if the ONLY thing you were looking for was a volume boost, take that TS back and get a clean boost or MXR 10 band EQ. the EQ can be a great volume boost by keeping all the frequencies flat and boosting the level!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
at 12 means that it makes no difference, before 12 is less and after is more, so if you want a little more gain then go to like 3-4 o'clock and the same for the others.
Quote by slash_rocks2005
. as far as sticking it in the FX loop....uh...never tried that and honestly don't know how it sounds....but TS's weren't made for FX loops...

I didn't say they were, but if he doesn't want to use it to tighten it up or add gain or anything and is set on using it as a boost, then thats the best way to use it, though its using it as more of a boost than an OD pedal which it is.
^i get what you meant then.

well, TS, if you're looking for primarily a volume increase and not really looking to add any gain or anything to your sound, get a clean boost. EQ pedal trick also works. all depends on how much you've got to spend.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
what If I want more volume AND more gain? Wont having the drive all the way down not achieve this? Why would the drive have to be at 0 to function as a volume boost?
You put the drive at zero if you want to boost the volume, and add the least color to your original tone. By the way volume and gain are the same thing. It sounds to me you may just want a clean boost, such as the EQ pedal option above.
apparently UG's only type O-

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
Quote by sizzlechest69
what If I want more volume AND more gain? Wont having the drive all the way down not achieve this? Why would the drive have to be at 0 to function as a volume boost?

False.
But the more signal is being put into the preamp causes more gain.
Think of it this way, notice when you turn down your volume knob on your guitar down it doesnt really reduce just volume, it reduces gain.
Level is a result of gain.
This is because gain and level are the same thing.
Gain : Pre gain
Level : post gain

Get it?
So an OD used this way is essentialy your guitars volume knob going even farther.
It'll boost gain more than volume, but yes, pretty much.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
You see boosting gain results in boosted volume.
So yes, it will boost Both.
Just the gain will boost fast that the volume will.
wow..this whole "gain and volume are the same thing" statement is becoming the next "metal relies more on preamp gain, not power amp" statement....i know it's true...but it's popping up EVERYWHERE i look! lol.. word spreads fast

am i the only one who notices this?
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
turn the volume up add a bit of gain if you want and turn the tone down... thats how a tube screamer was ment to be used
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is bunny. Copy him into your signature to help him acheive world dominance.
It should increase the volume a hair if you crank the gain and lower the boost, but more than anything it's going to add sustain and articulation.

If you're looking to boost the volume try running it in the effects loop. I hear that actually increases the volume more.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
when i added eq or od to my dsl it didnt respond well to it. christ knows why, i gave up on that thing
So much bad information here....some guys have got it though

If you want a volume and gain boost, you really want to run full volume, no gain, and tone to taste.

This basically works as a clean boost...you're pushing your preamp a little harder, achieving more gain, and a little more compression. You won't necessarily get more volume, but you'll get more cut...which in most band mixes, works better IMO.

Turning the gain up on the pedal adds even more compression, and if you want to cut through, you definitely don't want that.

Best of luck...IMO, the TS-9, because of its midhump, is one of the best lead boosts out there. Cheap, and gets the job done.