Are there any differences to string-thru necks or actual bridges? Besides the looks, are there any differences in tone, intonation, action, etc?
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
the one big thing (that iv heard) is sustain.
guitars with string thru bodies tend to have more sustain than bridges, but it depends on other things as well
Banquo?

X
Guitars with string through bridges also sound a little brighter. Play a Strat with tremolo and one with a fixed bridge and you'll see.
Quote by Midnight Murk
It is possible to have both a string-thru guitar with a Tune-o-matic.

I'm pretty sure my Dean ZX has a tune-o-matic and it's a string thru.
Quote by TatarSalad2
I'm pretty sure my Dean ZX has a tune-o-matic and it's a string thru.
That is correct. (Thanks, Google!)

The topic creator may have been comparing stop-bar tailpieces and string-through guitars, but it's too hard to tell.
White tiger and the Quailman have the right idea.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute
SX stratocaster
MIA Fender Stratocaster
Vox AD50 Vox AC15C1 Vox AC30CC2X Laney LH50r
Guitar>Joe Bonamossa Crybaby > AquaPuss> Sparkle Drive> Green Rhino> DejaVibe> Amplifier
CROWN VIC
Quote by Midnight Murk
It is possible to have both a string-thru guitar with a Tune-o-matic.

A Tune-o-matic is the bridge, you're thinking of the stop-bar tailpiece.
Yes, TOMS can be paired with a string-thru setup.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
String through gives you a bit more sustain, but the string tension is really tight.

With a stop tailpiece, you can adjust the height of it and it will effect the string tension and the way it plays. Lowering it will give you a bit more sustain and tighten the string tension. Raise it up a bit and the guitar plays "looser", good for bends, ect..

Personally I like the tailpiece because it lets you fine tune the way your guitar plays a bit more by adjusting the string tension. It's more versatile and offers more options.
with a stop tailpiece, you'll find that when you raise it from the body it makes your tone thinner as less of the vibration travels through to the guitar's wood. I would not recommend this. Always keep the stop tailpiece all the way down...

So in this way I found the tailpiece serves ZERO extra function because you wanna ideally keeps that stop tailpiece all the way down, and a string-through is effectively doing a better job of transferring that vibration in a way.
Depends on the guitar. If you have a strat style guitar then you would have to go with a recessed TOM bridge which does work pretty good with string thru. But with a TOM you dont get the individual string height adjust like with a strat style fixed string thru brige. But if you have a LP style guitar with the neck angle then the strat style wont work to easy. And you could always go with the wrap around style bridge. But they dont work so well with strats as they sit up pretty high off the body when installed.