So I have ulnar nerve palsy in my left hand. To put it simply, my 3rd and 4th fingers of my fret hand have completely no movement in them and are numb. Doctors are telling me it'll take upto a year for them to heal. No guitar playing! However...

Do I:

A) Sell those guitars and that equipment on eBay that I promised my parents I'd sell ages ago? I reckon I could get over £1000 for a few of my worse guitars/amps/effects and still keep my valve amp and Satriani guitar. Should I sell some of this stuff and stop playing for upto a year?

or

B) Watch Django Reinhardt videos on youtube for two fingered guitar playing inspiration and potentially get really good. I can do most of the 3 string sweep picking patterns with 2 fingers and have tuned my acoustic to open C tuning so I can fret less and hit more open strings. Playing chords and string bending is the real problem here. I've lost loads of finger strength in my two playable fingers so can just about manage a half-tone bend. Should I carry on playing with two fingers?

What are your thoughts, UG?
Dont sell!!!!!
flintazra wrote:

I think the next person to shoot up a school should list Jonas brothers and Hannah Montana as his favorite "musicians."
I find creation/song-writing to be far more beautiful than the art of actually playing an instrument. I'd go that route.
I would wait and let it heal.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Learn your guitar as a lefty.
1. Open My Computer.
2. Open C:
3. Click on WINDOWS.
4. Open the folder "Media."
5. Click on the file "onestop."
6. Listen.
Quote by Mockstairwell

This statement is full of win. +200. You win the internetz!

Go lefties! W00t!
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
Hmm... seems the thread has been taken over by a swimming pool filled with sperm.

Quote by iantheman
Whenever I run out of tissues, I get worried that I'll be caught hopping through the hallway with my pants around my knees, a dying erection, and a fist full of semen.
Quote by Mockstairwell

now that would be cool.
Quote by the fendernator
I didn't know he lost his fingers?

I can't be bothered to read through the essays about him wikepedia.

He got saturday night palsy and was told he'd never be able to play like he used to, but after like months of therapy and stuff he got over it and can use his left hand like nothing ever happened.

(saturday night palsy means his nerve collapsed or something like that, so he couldn't use his left hand)

Just a brief (and probably rather unaccurate) summary ;o
B: I would love to see the progress that you make with this if you do decide B then please post videos or music clips each month of your progress

^My two cents^

Also you seriously will regret it
Quote by will123456789

and mate: ure the first 08er to make me laugh kudos

Quote by Mr. La Fritz
Turn it off and on again.

^ Golden computer rule.

Quote by Spamwise
I've had a hooker die once. I love getting free stuff.
If you know you're going to get your feeling back you should just keep practicing, maybe try concentrating more on theory
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
have you ever seen the movie Swing Kids??

one of the characters played guitar and all his fingers were broken except his index and he learned to play with only one finger

and he could really jam

EDIT: maybe he had his index AND middle, i'm not sure
but still, it was really inspiring
Last edited by JessMess at Nov 12, 2008,
Quote by JessMess
have you ever seen the movie Swing Kids??

one of the characters played guitar and all his fingers were broken except his index and he learned to play with only one finger

and he could really jam

EDIT: maybe he had his index AND middle, i'm not sure
but still, it was really inspiring

and then he killed himself in the bath tub

SWING HEIL PETER!!!!!!!!
I don't know how I got it. X-rays and blood tests have shown no possible cause. It apparently "just happened" (said my doctor). "sometimes nerves can just seize up". If it's a repetitive strain thing it's very unusual as it's only in two fingers. There's no pain at all - I've just lost all feeling there!

...and thanks for your comments guys. As much as I'd love to learn Arpeggios from Hell with two fingers, I've got to set myself realistic two-fingered aims. Playing left handed requires buying a left handed guitar... which I don't want to do. I like my current guitar at the moment. Two fingers it is then.

Here's a thought. Can anyone with a guitar on their lap at the moment fold their 3rd and 4th fingers behind the guitar neck and play with just two fingers for a while? How good are you!?
switch to composition for the year, using even two fingers will most likely strain your others and **** you up for longer.

Keyboard + Fruityloops/recording program of your choice, you might not want to go back to guitar :p
Quote by mynamesedson
I asked my son he said nothing but he just asked me he wants a psyachatrist (spelling?) Because he heard voices calling out his name. What a freak.

Control your life through insanity.

Igneuspentheism
Quote by the fendernator
...and thanks for your comments guys. As much as I'd love to learn Arpeggios from Hell with two fingers, I've got to set myself realistic two-fingered aims. Playing left handed requires buying a left handed guitar... which I don't want to do. I like my current guitar at the moment. Two fingers it is then.

just string it up left handed. quitting guitar is not an option, temporary break is fine, but don't quit man.