Sooo. So far I've been practicing improv by playing over songs, is this a good way to learn or should I do something else? Until now I've improved over the following songs: Another Brick In The Wall pt II, Echoes and Let It Be.
Just play what you feel inside.
Hint: It's not always gonna sound impressive or even good, but you have to learn to just play with your soul and not your head.
Corona Corona
watch jimmy page and hendrix and clapton improvise
thats how i learned and PLAY WITH SOUL BRUDDA!
Ibanez sz720fm,Ibbly RG350DX, Custom Tele-> Dunlop 535Q->RAT Pro co II-> Ibanez Fuzz->Marshall Haze 40.
Tascam US-800 and a hand full of Mics into Nedundo 4

my music, new recording on the way in 2014

[B]insert witty italicized quote here
That will take years bro!!

Just fiddle around, get ideas, do it over a looped progression, but remember, most of all it takes TIME!!
Here's what I do. I throw on some headphones (if I'm in my dorm, if I am at home I hook my computer up to my stereo), open I Tunes and just improvise over songs. I find some good places to improvise are over choruses and during transitions from chorus to verse. Improvising over someone else's solos just gets messy. A good song to practice improvisation on is Yellow Ledbetter, McCready improvises the solo to that song and never plays it the same twice. Other than that a lot of mainstream rock is good to practice over top of since they tend to be more rhythm based. I've been doing this for about a year now ( I am self taught BTW playing for 4 years now) and my lead abilities have increased considerably. For example if you go to my youtube channel the solos on there are all improvised over a rhythm track I recorded. I got a recording program for $100 USD and used that. I imagine if you wanted to spend the money you could record your own rhythms and practice improvising over them.
Last edited by in2thesun88 at Nov 12, 2008,
Yeah, maybe I forgot to mention I AM playing by scales. Currently working on memorizing the C#-minor scale for Echoes. I find it very amusing playing over the middle part where Dave and Rick is playing off eachother.

Anyways, thanks for great and quick response. Keep em coming!