What's the verdict? I haven't played one and I've heard mixed things--

I have a Dean V guitar and I love the light weight, feel, and the slim neck especially. Would I get the same feel from a dean bass?

I'm thinking about getting an edge- assume I'm changing the pickups

[ps; i searched]
i generally dissaprove of deans. but go try one, you could be all about them
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
the razorback bass looks wicked. but i couldn't justify buying one, as i do actually play music that isn't metal...
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
I know the guitars don't cop as much flak, but I haven't heard much specific criticism towards the basses, outside of the 'sounds like metal' thing, but new p-ups would change that, right? I'm just floored by how easy my V is to play compared to my other guitars [tele, les paul] thanks to the weight and neck, like I mentioned.
i would never buy a Dean bass, i am getting an Ibanez SR500 and it is only $550.00. I have played alot of basses and even compared to a $1,000+ Fender P-bass or J-bass i still feel that the SR500 is by far superior.
Last Dean Edge 5 bass I played was a piece of sh*t. I can't stand them, but some guys love them. Best advice is to go put your hands on it and play it to see for yourself.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I've found Dean's necks to be an attempt at a modern Warwick shape, but with the finished maple, they didn't feel nice. Also, I found the bodies of Deans to use low quality wood, to the point where they felt actually hollow.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
i would go to guitar center and try out an Ibanez SR500 it is a really nice bass and has active pickups with beautiful mahogany wood here is the link for it Ibanez SR500
Dean has disgusting necks. if you like a slim feel, this wont suit you. they are very uncomfortable, and sound terrible. even for metal, IMO.

that Ibanez is nice. go with that. or the below Ibanez. they have very nice, slender necks.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
Dean has disgusting necks. if you like a slim feel, this wont suit you. they are very uncomfortable, and sound terrible. even for metal, IMO.

Seriously??

If true, I can't believe the contrast between dean guitar necks and dean bass necks then-- I thought it would have been their biggest strength-

looking at ibanez atm.
Quote by BassAssassin
Seriously??

If true, I can't believe the contrast between dean guitar necks and dean bass necks then-- I thought it would have been their biggest strength-

looking at ibanez atm.

well, I found Dean guitar necks ok on guitar, I prefer say, that strat feel, but Dean necks are truly terrible on bass. in my research anyways. which includes an Edge, an explorer thing, a kinda V-ish thing with horns, like a butterfly gone metal, and 2 POS semihollows.

I would not pay for any of them. unless they were 10 bucks, I still wouldn't.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I might add, though, that Dean make some quality instruments - they're just in a different price bracket. They also have many basses that only they make (pretty much) - not too many places you'll find 10 and 12 strings for decent prices like that.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
The first bass i bought was a dean. It was the cheapest edge. I never really liked dean but it was cheap so I got it. I have no complaints with it. I like it a lot even though it is a cheap bass. I really don't have anything negative to say about it so i would recommend it. Just check how you like the feel before you get it though.
Quote by the humanity

You mean Dean HAVE disgusting necks, right? And anyway this is completely untrue - my Sledgehammer sounds the shizz and is a very good bass. I don't know why more people haven't picked up this underated bass. And just because it's made by Dean dosen't mean it plays metal.
You can't comment on gear until you have tried it!
Yes it does. The Jeff Berlin Basic signature is the most metal bass ever. He's a metal machine.
Quote by Cody_Grey102