I'm joining this band and they're wanting to do an Amon Amarth cover so I need a 5 string. I was planning on getting a second bass since my starter is incapacitated and I've always wanted the extra room of a 5 string. My budget is in the 400$ area so I don't have the largest selection. I really don't want to tune my current bass down to B every band practice then back to Standard but if there's a good enough 4 string then I might consider keeping that in B.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I'm ordering a Traben Array 5 string right now $350, no bad reviews, and it looks metal as fVck. Try to find a place that sells them near you though, cuz they're on back order at Musician's Friend.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
I'm ordering a Traben Array 5 string right now $350, no bad reviews, and it looks metal as fVck. Try to find a place that sells them near you though, cuz they're on back order at Musician's Friend.

I have seen one at the local Guitar Center...I wasn't sure since it seems like the bridge could be a cover up for a lack of quality, aiming for looks. I'll try one next time I'm there since it fits in my budget and will give me the proper tone.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
I have seen one at the local Guitar Center...I wasn't sure since it seems like the bridge could be a cover up for a lack of quality, aiming for looks. I'll try one next time I'm there since it fits in my budget and will give me the proper tone.

actually, it is a fine bass. I considered getting one before I found the sweet deal I got on my Schecter. look into used. those basses are very good in this economy. I saw a Warwick Corvette (bubinga standard) for 540 at a pawn shop. crazy good deal.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by BladeSlinger

Their expensive basses have those too. It's not so much for looks as it is for tone. Their motto is "Bigger bridge, bigger tone", and it's supposed to give it a unique resonance. They provide models with more traditional looking bridges, but they actually have more of the bridge unit inside the bass to maintain their "big bridge" tone.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by the humanity
actually, it is a fine bass. I considered getting one before I found the sweet deal I got on my Schecter. look into used. those basses are very good in this economy. I saw a Warwick Corvette (bubinga standard) for 540 at a pawn shop. crazy good deal.

My main bass is a Stiletto Elite...Got it on sale for like 450 or 500, great buy. I'll consider it for sure if the bridge gives a good look and adds to tone. Any more suggestions?
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Try to find a used Fender Mexican five string J.

And yes, it can do metal, as it can do anything else.
Check out this little bizzitch
Peavy Grind 5-String
Quote by Insanitydenied
I try to be the quiet musician type, but there's too much to say.

OF THE BASS MILITIA - PM Nutter_101 to join

FUCK PARAMORE.

HOT LESBIANS

Centered, Bitch.

Yes, I'm only 14. So?
have a look at a LTD B55
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
Quote by Arbitror
Try to find a used Fender Mexican five string J.

And yes, it can do metal, as it can do anything else.

I was looking for one of those before I needed a 5 string....I was planning on buying a MIM J Bass but a 4 string. The only used I've seen are on eBay and I just don't trust them. I've looked at reviews for the Grind bass and I wasn't satisfied, I'd definitely have to play one first. I only have guitar Center, no LTD's.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
One really nice 5 string is the BC rich warlock Paolo signature, i think it might be over 400, but it pretty good, i think its closer to 600 though. Other than that try getting a traben, any 5 string traben will most likely be good.
Equiptment:

Bass: Yamaha RBX170
Amp: Fender Rumble 100
Pedal: Boss BOD-3 Bass overdrive pedal
Quote by NHBassist12
Check out this little bizzitch
Peavy Grind 5-String

i played this one and i was unsatisfied, i just.... lacked is all. maybe think about getting an active 4-string that you can play in b, might have to d some searching for that price though
If you can get ahold of $30 more, this should be fine.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-D5-5String-Bass?sku=513747
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
I had this dilemma for my old band which we tuned to drop C.
tuning whenever i wasnt with them on rediculously thick strings for standard was a pain.

going to have to agree with your41plague12

Ltd's are a good route to take especially for metal.

just have a play around on some dude. find one that still sounds clear when your playing your low B. my mate owns a 5 string p bass copy that sounds muddy as hell on the b string
Last edited by Losing_sun_91 at Nov 25, 2008,
The Peavy BXP Grind Is a fine bass and only costs like 379.00.... it plays well, has a close neck so playing fast is easy, and is neck through which is often more expensive. that and if natural finish's will give you a boner well then youll get a boner.they sell it at most guitar centers, and it's worth a look.
Peavy Cirrus 5 string
Squire Jazz bass
Berhinger ultrabass head, 450 cabinet
Resident Marvel Comic expert of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
]My band's myspace
http://www.myspace.com/jenovamusicpage