Hey guys... I'm about to do this so I need some input...
Will it throw my spring tension out of wack if I set up my fine tuner so I can drop d using it?
Should I do it? Will it mess up the tuning of my other strings? Thanks.
If you have your FR floating it will throw the whole guitar out of tune when you tune down to d. I've got a Peavey Wolfgang with a d-tuna and you ahve to set the trem to sit on the body of the guitar, no float. If you've got a top mounted trem you can pick up a d-tuna for about $40

http://www.zzounds.com/cat--3740

if you've got a set in tremolo... you can't use this... but
1988 Epi LP Custom
Peavey Wolfgang Special
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute
PRS SE Soapbar
PRS SE Custom
Jet City JCA20H
VOX lil' Night Train
Celestion Greenback and Vintage 30 Speakers
Assorted Pedals and swag
Quote by The_rylan
If you have your FR floating it will throw the whole guitar out of tune when you tune down to d. I've got a Peavey Wolfgang with a d-tuna and you ahve to set the trem to sit on the body of the guitar, no float. If you've got a top mounted trem you can pick up a d-tuna for about $40

http://www.zzounds.com/cat--3740

if you've got a set in tremolo... you can't use this... but

Ya I know about the d-tuna, but you can't pull up on the trem with it in and that is something I would like to be able to do.

My buddy says on his friend's floyd he just has it tuned to standard, but he has the fine tuner adjusted to the right place so that he can tune it all the way down to d just using the tuner...he says it doesn't mess up the tuning but idn? so will that mess up my spring tension.

i should have put this in my op but i dont want a d tuna or tremsetter but any other alternatives would be appreciated.
Quote by tona_107
Ya I know about the d-tuna, but you can't pull up on the trem with it in and that is something I would like to be able to do.

My buddy says on his friend's floyd he just has it tuned to standard, but he has the fine tuner adjusted to the right place so that he can tune it all the way down to d just using the tuner...he says it doesn't mess up the tuning but idn? so will that mess up my spring tension.

i should have put this in my op but i dont want a d tuna or tremsetter but any other alternatives would be appreciated.

Doesn't work - spring tension isn't so much the problem but as soon as you start mucking around with the low E then you send all the other strings out of tune and there simply isn't enough range on the fine tuners to get everything back in tune. If your friend says it doesn't affect the tuning he's either lying or more likely can't actually tell when he's out of tune.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Doesn't work - spring tension isn't so much the problem but as soon as you start mucking around with the low E then you send all the other strings out of tune and there simply isn't enough range on the fine tuners to get everything back in tune. If your friend says it doesn't affect the tuning he's either lying or more likely can't actually tell when he's out of tune.

Thanks a lot for the input but that's too bad... So is my only option the d-tuna, or is there anything else I can do?
Quote by tona_107
Thanks a lot for the input but that's too bad... So is my only option the d-tuna, or is there anything else I can do?

The D-tuna will give you exactly the same problem...all it does is allow you to change the tuning quickly, it won't stop your strings going out of tune. It's designed for flat-mount trems with no up-pull, reason being if it's flat on the wood then the bridge can't sink when you lower the tuning.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
on a FR style theres no quick way besides retuning the whole guitar.
I just keep a guitar on drop-d and learn all the standard tuning songs on it, its really simple.

when you just use the fine tuner if it can even handle it, all your other strings will be real sharp.