So I have the version of abelton live that came with my tone port. (figures)
So I'm finding that it is extremely limited and after using it for a while feel like I need an upgrade.

So I checked out ableton 7 the full version.

Basically, what's the difference between the educational version

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ableton-Live-7-EDU-incl.-EIC?sku=482456

and the full version?

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ableton-Live-7?sku=703067

Besides, you know... 200$.

And say I get Live LE.
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ableton-Live-7-LE?sku=705626

Can I upgrade from LE to the full version with an actual upgrade, or do I have to buy the whole version?
I like my guitars like I like my women, with fat bottoms.
There's no difference between the education and normal full versions, except that to activate the edu. version you have to send ableton proof that you are a student/teacher before they activate your licence. Ableton are really quick about this, but it still took me 2 weeks to get my copy working thanks to my uni being slow about giving me a stamped letter.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
I'd recommend not to use any version of Unableton.

There are better programs for less money, an even for free.
Quote by Keskimaki
I'd recommend not to use any version of Unableton.

There are better programs for less money, an even for free.

It depends what you are using it for.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

I know a few people that use Ableton Live as their main DAW, what limitations does it have? I haven't run into any yet. If anything, I have all the limitations now... : (
MetallyGuitarded.com
- Music Man Silhouette w/stock Floyd - Evo(B) ToneZone(N)
- Boss SD-1 & CS-3, EHX Hazarai & Clone Theory
- VHT PittBull 45 - 2x12
Ableton Live 6 is great IMO, does everything I need to make decent sounding recordings without becoming complicated.
i love Ableton Live 7, just for the Drum Racks, its fantastic.
i've stopped using it as a DAW though, the audio editing is lacking and its just too "different".
for DJ work, or just working exclusivly with MIDI and loops its excellent.
I don't think Live was designed as a DAW at all, it seems to be aimed at electronic musician etc.
Its good for composing and arranging stuff if you mostly work with samples and MIDI clips, or if you're in a band that needs to trigger samples when playing live.

Of course, Live works as a DAW but if you just want a DAW i'd recommend something like cubase.
A metal band?
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

I personally wouldnt (read: cant get my head around) using Live to compose music, but i would definitely use it to play back music in interesting ways. Sounds awesome with things like SupaTrigga.