Page 1 of 3
Hey all,

i took some peoples advice, and i decided to start building the guitar from the giant piece of ash from a tree that fell 2 weeks ago. im trying different drying processes because i had alot of extra wood to do that with. so heres some pics of where i am so far.

NEW PICS ON PAGE 4

Quote by Øttər
I'll accept Jesus into my heart if the neighboorhood accepts my penis into it's street.
Last edited by reed12321 at Jan 2, 2009,

Quote by Øttər
I'll accept Jesus into my heart if the neighboorhood accepts my penis into it's street.

Quote by Øttər
that is INSANE!!!!

hope it works
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Quote by chris024
definitely rad. i'll be watching this.

thanks, there may not be some action for a little while, because 1. i have to let the wood dry out. IF YOU KNOW any ways to dry it out quicker other than waiting like 4 months, you can tell me, im testing a piece in the oven as we speak actually.

p.s. the guy cutting the wood in all the pics is my dad, not me.
Quote by Øttər
LP ADDICT

look at this thread, and give me some guidance on how that wood will dry
Quote by Øttər
Quote by deftonesordie
PM him. It'll actually reach him that way.

yeah i just did
Quote by Øttər
the oven will work, but use it at a very low temperature for a very long time. and be very patient; if you rush drying the wood out the guitar will split soon after the glue dries and you finish it. but the best way is still to cap the ends with wax and let it sit for a really logn time.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
the oven will work, but use it at a very low temperature for a very long time. and be very patient; if you rush drying the wood out the guitar will split soon after the glue dries and you finish it. but the best way is still to cap the ends with wax and let it sit for a really logn time.

yeah i had a "practice" piece in the oven and it cracked, and it even had laquer on the end. the lowest i can get my oven to is 175 and thats technically a "warm" temperature. however i had the piece in my car outside (which was about 40 degrees) and brought it in and less than 5 mins i put it in the oven.
Quote by Øttər
really bad idea- you wanna heat it up slowly.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Ok so i dipped the ends of the wood in laquer to seal it so it wont crack. im in the process of trying to find a wood dryer (either kiln or vaccuum) and no one in my area does it. i have a few more places to resort to, other than that, im doing it naturally and ill see you all in like 4 months
Quote by Øttər
Man, that's rugged.

I think the only thing that could be more rugged is if you'd chopped the tree down by hand, then made the guitar out of the wood.

Looks neat though!

Cheers!
Surf Rock the World

'Shark Bait'
Coming soon.
Quote by RazzRocket
Man, that's rugged.

I think the only thing that could be more rugged is if you chopped the tree down by hand, then made the guitar out of the wood.

Looks neat though!

Cheers!

thanks lol i didnt cut the piece, my spanish teacher actually cut the piece from his mothers house lol and i told him (kinda jokingly not thinking he would actually do it) that i wanted a piece of the tree about 2 inches thick and about 2ftX2ft and he brought it in
Quote by Øttər
dont glue that thing together until its atleast 12%. with a body of that many pieces, 12% will suffice, you can get that with that thing. put heavy things on it, clamp the 4 corners and the middle to something that wont bend, gotta keep that shit flat man.
Quote by LP Addict
dont glue that thing together until its atleast 12%. with a body of that many pieces, 12% will suffice, you can get that with that thing. put heavy things on it, clamp the 4 corners and the middle to something that wont bend, gotta keep that shit flat man.

how do you tell if its 12% and im not gluing it for a while.

im probably going to have to glue it in sections too, because if im gluing 11 pieces all at once, then it will probably end up bending and the middle will bow up. its probably going to take me like 5 or so days to glue it if i go one piece on each side at a time.
Quote by Øttər
dont forget to put a piece of wax paper in between any cauls you don't want being laminated to the rest of the guitar
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
youll probably get better luck trying to leave your oven at like it's lowest setting and leaving the front door open a little bit... that way the wood wont overheat and you'll keep your kitchen warm
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
youll probably get better luck trying to leave your oven at like it's lowest setting and leaving the front door open a little bit... that way the wood wont overheat and you'll keep your kitchen warm

actually

i think ill try that

ill cut another practice piece tomorrow and see what happens.
but im going to actually talk to a local lumber place and see if they have a way of drying wood.
Quote by Øttər
Quote by Øttər
^ Yeah they do. It's called a kiln.

well ive also heard of vaccuume drying, but i doubt they have it. and at the time if writing that post, i forgot the word "kiln" lol
Quote by Øttər
ok well, then what do you suggest i do? id rather not buy wood because itll be sweet actually knowing where the wood came from. the tree fell like 30 miles away from my house, and my teacher was the one who actually remembered to cut me a piece. even if the place im going to has a kiln, id rather kiln the wood and wait 2-3 months as opposed to "4 years with a lamp"
Quote by Øttər
Quote by reed12321
well ive also heard of vaccuume drying, but i doubt they have it. and at the time if writing that post, i forgot the word "kiln" lol

is that why Ormsby had a pic in one of his builds of his build in a vacuum form?
probably, i dont look at the ormsby threads too often, too many pages to scroll through and a billion people comment on them.
Quote by Øttər
lol theres good reason for that, when it comes to inlays, the mans a GOD

a GOD i tell you!
yeah lol. when i was first new here about a year ago i looked at them all the time. now i dont look at the so much.
Quote by Øttər
Ormsby put his build in a vaccum seal to glue the top down. It has MASSIVE amounts of equalised pressure across the whole top, it's got nothing to do with moisture.

To be honest, this sounds like a cool idea. Just getting to wood dry doesnt sound easy. =\
Quote by Dark_Merlin
Ormsby put his build in a vaccum seal to glue the top down. It has MASSIVE amounts of equalised pressure across the whole top, it's got nothing to do with moisture.

To be honest, this sounds like a cool idea. Just getting to wood dry doesnt sound easy. =\

yeah lol i saw the build hes selling right now, the blue tinted with the sweet top, and i realized he was using that to glue it, not suck moisture out.
Quote by Øttər
Quote by reed12321
other than that, im doing it naturally and ill see you all in like 4 months

lol
HOKAY UPDATE:

so for xmas, my dad bought me the 7 string neck from warmoth, he got me the paddle head so i can customize it somewhat. it has gold jumbo frets, and the ebony or rosewood fretboard (i dont know what it is, but the neck is coming on the 2nd of janruary =[....)

i have one question however,

the neck is a 25" scale neck, and the plans i have are for a 25 1/2" scale neck/body. all i should have to do is move the bridge closer by a 1/2 inch right? because the measurement from the nut to the 12th fret should be 25", so the measurement from the 12th fret to the bridge should be 25"

am i right ?
Quote by Øttər
well you worded it wrong but yes I think you are right

nut to bridge should be the scale length, in this case 25"

nut to 12th fret should be half the scale length.

and btw 25" is not really a good idea for a 7 string but never mind, you'll just have to use pretty thick strings.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
well you worded it wrong but yes I think you are right

nut to bridge should be the scale length, in this case 25"

nut to 12th fret should be half the scale length.

and btw 25" is not really a good idea for a 7 string but never mind, you'll just have to use pretty thick strings.

yeah i know, the thing is, is that warmoth only makes a 25" scale neck. i wish warmoth made a baritone 7 string that was even longer than 25" i have big hands and on a normal epiphone les paul, i can reach from the first fret to the 7th fret no prob.

however next question.
with a 25" scale neck, does it matter where you put the neck and bridge pups? im getting 2 humbuckers and if i can manage, i dont want to use the rings.

secondly, does this set of pups sound good? or would you people suggest something different?
seymour duncan jazz neck pup
seymour duncan sh-6 bridge
Quote by Øttər
Page 1 of 3