last weekend I visited my parents (which meant I got to play the Marshall I left behind, turns out it's busted) and noticed a musician's friend page that I tore out and taped to the wall of my old bedroom... and noticed that the Mexican Standard P-bass cost $279.99 and the Jazz bass cost $299.99.

This got me thinking... about how much prices in the guitar industry have gone up in the past 7 years, with only the quality of the lower end equipment getting better and the higher end equipment going down in quality. Case in point: AC30's.

Now, when I was about 14, I remember the Vox AC30TB with Greenbacks running about 1400-1500, when I bought mine when I was 16, it was used (but retubed and in perfect condition, shame I beat the crap out of it) and cost me $1300. Now, the cost of the AC30's has gone down, but not by a whole lot... the Chinese made (versus british made) AC30's cost around $1100 and don't sound as good as the older 80's and 90's AC30s (definately nowhere near as good as the originals!).

Fender Basses are exactly the same. I remember getting my P-bass used with EMG actives and a Bad AssII for $200 even, 80 under new. That was only 20 dollars more than the Squier Special Deluxe at the time. Now, the P-basses have a crappy finish on the neck, thinner sounding pickups and worse fret jobs than they used to and cost $449.99 now!

Why is it that name brand gear got more expensive and got crappier, I mean... jeez. The Squier VM, reissues and standard series generally has more gusto than the Fender Mexican line and they don't cost a whole lot more than they used to. (The Jagmaster's only gone up in price about 75 since they first caught my eye) And then the SX and Agile guitars come into play, and you see $120 guitars that play just as well as the $450 Fenders, maybe don't sound as nice, but they play pretty damn good for $120.

I personally am extremely disheartened by this trend in the guitar industry. Even cables, I used to buy 20' cables for $8, now they're about $1 a foot for "nice" cables, I paid a $1 a foot for my planet waves forever ago, I picked up a 20 footer two weeks ago, I paid $45 for a 20' high-end cable. I was furious, but I can't let my tone suffer (I hate unwanted noise).

Just wondering if anyone else hear has any reminiscent memories of the guitar industry financially raping starving artists.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Cost of production and transportation, in essence Cost of Goods Sold, is going up for the instrument manufacturing industry. As instruments have to be transported from the manufacturer to the wholesaler to the retailer, it has become more expensive to produce and sell these products all along the line. Of course, that higher expense is taken to the end consumer who ends up paying for it.

As things got more expensive, these companies look for anyway they can reduce expenses. That generally means less skilled labor and cheaper manufacturing goods (parts).

It sucks.
Inflation
Quote by herby190
Every thread I've seen you in has been a complete success. Yay you!

Quote by theking182
i'm voting for GNiCk89. i just like how he speaks TO me, not AT me.

Quote by \m/Angus\m/
Yea, Sublime is a great band. You have an Underoath icon, so I think your opinion doesn't matter.
wall of text, but true. stupid economy.
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
I got into the game a bit late but as far as I can see there is bargins to be had.
Agile, Schecter, Valveking, Burgera.
It's a great time to get fair quailty gear!
I've never even dreamed of high-end before, not at this point in life.
cuz you touch yourself at night
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
Quote by hell_monkey
cuz you touch yourself at night

that is so lame I can't even begin to express it! meme's are for losers.
Combination of Inflation and brand-orientated-consumerism.

Inflation: Prices go up, this just happens, it's a product of the way our economies work

brand-orientated-consumerism: Brands earned themselves a name for quality years ago, now people will buy their shit no matter how shit it is so they're basically trading on their name. Big name = big bucks, doesn't matter if the product isn't actually worth big bucks.
that was a lot of text just to say

"they dont make em like they used to"

and

"things cost more now"
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
The only thing you are comparing is Squiers to Mexican made instruments. Before you say that the high end instruments are getting worse, go and try out a few. Dont go making assumptions. There is a reason people pay so much money for good gear, and its because it plays so much nicer than shit gear. I just laid down 2000 for a guitar and its worth every cent. Do your research.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
I love how people bitch about how expensive guitars are, a decent viol (comparable to a $600 or so guitar) costs $1,500 and it's the same with most other classical instruments. Guitars are relatively cheap.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I've only been playing for 3 years (squire for my birthday) and didn't buy anything til around this time last year, so I haven't been around long enough to see the music industry's inflation in action. but there are a lot of times that I've bought something simple and thought "wtf?". Like when I bought a little 1 or 2 foot cord for like 10 dollars at a local shop that seemed damn expensive for such a small cord, then another time I bought some strap locks from them for around 30 bucks, I mean what the hell? some metal, bearings, a screw? how much does it actually cost to make that?And I bought some Jazz III ultexs from musician's friend, 6 pack for 3 dollars

however, there are still good deals to be had, like I found this guitar in a pawn shop, absolutely perfect condition, for $500, and I absolutely love it. and of course, after I bought those Jazz III I saw the 24 packs on ebay for pretty cheap
Quote by JBizzle Da Truf
wall of text, but true. stupid economy.

You don't know what "wall of text" means.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I love how people bitch about how expensive guitars are, a decent viol (comparable to a $600 or so guitar) costs $1,500 and it's the same with most other classical instruments. Guitars are relatively cheap.

do you mean violin or viola?
Either way, I got mine which every single teacher or student who has ever played says it sounds great, for about $800. It's 72 years old now, and made in what was then Czechoslovakia. It just looks awful and has had a couple very large cracks that have been repaired as best as they can, but still are very obvious.
Quote by Jackal58
If I was Santa you'd all get shit for Christmas.
Quote by CowboyUp
You don't know what "wall of text" means.

yea, unless I'm badly mistaken, wall of text means a huge post that looks as though the poster' enter key is messed up. so it's not separated and gets hard to read.

TS was perfectly coherent.
It's not rising for me. I bought a guitar a year ago...haven't spent a penny on guitar yet.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Quote by tommyt
that was a lot of text just to say

"they dont make em like they used to"

and

"things cost more now"

I'm sure that he gave the examples to prove his point, not to just post a giant wall of text. And to answer your question, it's inflation. And I know, it sucks hard
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
EHX Metal Muff
Peavey Valvking 112
Boss ME-50
Holy Grail Reverb
Quote by GaijinFoot
I got into the game a bit late but as far as I can see there is bargins to be had.
Agile, Schecter, Valveking, Burgera.
It's a great time to get fair quailty gear!
I've never even dreamed of high-end before, not at this point in life.

CARVIN

Everything besides their guitars is incredibly cheap, and the guitars are reasonable considering the quality.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Even the American Fenders. They started producing the highway one line, which is a cheap, bastardized american fender and the prices of the american fenders went up in the past 6 years, I don't know by how much, but to fill in the gap, they introduced a poorly finished version that made from b-stock parts (no offense to any high-way one owners, I've got one of the deluxe p-basses from before the highways were out, so I've got an american B-stock part bass) and the quality on the american series went down as the price went up.

I wouldn't be so mad if the new p-basses (which cost roughly $170 more than they did 6 years ago, that's astronomical) played and felt as nice as the older ones. The finishes on the new necks (and this goes for most american standards, deluxes and highway one models) is just junk, they say it's "satin" and "faster" but it just feels unfinished, the pickups don't sound as good as the older p-bass pickups did, and the sunburst on the new models looks like garbage, compared to the old ones. Now, if they were the exact same bass they were 6 years ago, I wouldn't complain. But, they're not. So the quality goes down and the price goes up by roughly 70%. THAT'S what I'm complaining about.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by We'realltoBlame
do you mean violin or viola?
Either way, I got mine which every single teacher or student who has ever played says it sounds great, for about $800. It's 72 years old now, and made in what was then Czechoslovakia. It just looks awful and has had a couple very large cracks that have been repaired as best as they can, but still are very obvious.

no, I mean Viol

and yeah you can occasionally get lucky and find a good instrument cheap, but that's the exception, not the rule.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by freedoms_stain
Combination of Inflation and brand-orientated-consumerism.

Inflation: Prices go up, this just happens, it's a product of the way our economies work

brand-orientated-consumerism: Brands earned themselves a name for quality years ago, now people will buy their **** no matter how **** it is so they're basically trading on their name. Big name = big bucks, doesn't matter if the product isn't actually worth big bucks.

there is more to inflation than just prices going up.
inflation occurs when the government prints more money, thus lowering the value which then causes retailers to raise prices.

stupid government
G&L Tribute S-500 -> Ernie Ball VP -> Boss SD-1 -> Fulltone OCD -> Small Stone Phaser -> Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo -> Boss DD-3 -> Boss RE-20 -> TC Electronic Hall of Reverb -> Boss RC-2 -------> Modded Crate v18 Amp

www.wearewerebear.com