i own a valveking peavey 112 and i own a mackie onyx satellite recording interface

im wondering how the hell can i connect my amplifier or send the signal to my audio interface to record that

i tried using guitar rig 3 and revalver but i prefer my amp distortion it sounds more natural and less digital

how would i accomplish this?

any help is appreciated
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah Pedal
Cordoba C7 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar
Metal muff
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Ash
I'd say use a cheap microphone. Do you have rock band or guitar hero 4? Those mics work. Just plug it in your computer and it will install it then you can use it. just point it straight at the center of your speaker on the VK.

I know its stupid, but that's how my friend records all the time. haha
Quote by Green RATM Day

Electric - you plug it into a power outlet in the wall and the music comes from little speakers in the guitar.

Quote by The Raven
^ Bugger! You win this time Dark Ra - Hey! Thats partially my name dammit! I challenge you... to a gentleman's dual!

All My Equipment
I'd say use a cheap microphone. Do you have rock band or guitar hero 4? Those mics work. Just plug it in your computer and it will install it then you can use it. just point it straight at the center of your speaker on the VK.

I know its stupid, but that's how my friend records all the time. haha

yeah but the mic i got is more designed for vocals is a sm58 i know i need a sm57
and a mic stand to put facing the amp but i was wondering if there is a way to get a cable from amp and just plug it in on interface right now im kind of poor

a sm57 be like 100 dollars
a mic stand no clue

i forgot how the sm58 sounds again when recording guitar but it kind of loses its sound
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
I'm pretty sure the best way to record that type of amp is with a mic. If you had like a POD or a Spider Valve there are different ways to plug it straight into a computer, however, the VK doesn't really have that.
Quote by Green RATM Day

Electric - you plug it into a power outlet in the wall and the music comes from little speakers in the guitar.

Quote by The Raven
^ Bugger! You win this time Dark Ra - Hey! Thats partially my name dammit! I challenge you... to a gentleman's dual!

All My Equipment
Quote by stefan1988
yeah but the mic i got is more designed for vocals is a sm58 i know i need a sm57
and a mic stand to put facing the amp but i was wondering if there is a way to get a cable from amp and just plug it in on interface right now im kind of poor

a sm57 be like 100 dollars
a mic stand no clue

i forgot how the sm58 sounds again when recording guitar but it kind of loses its sound

The SM58 will work for amps, there's nothing stopping you using it... Just buy a '57 when you have the cash. The difference in sound isn't going to be too drastic for what it sounds like you're wanting to do.
Good news. The 58 and the 57 use exactly the same capsule. The only difference between the two mics is the built in wind screen on the 58, which makes it better suited for vocals than a 57 and gives it a slightly different sound. Using the 58 for recording your amp will work fine.

If you remove the ball on the end by unscrewing it, it will be a 57. I'd say this isn't necessary though.

If you're still intent on recording direct from the amp, just plug a TRS lead from the 'line out', 'record out', or 'headphone out' on your amp into a line input on your audio interface. Make sure you don't plug a 'speaker out' from your amp into the interface however, as you will almost certainly cause some damage to you interface, amp or both.
There is poetry in despair.
Good news. The 58 and the 57 use exactly the same capsule. The only difference between the two mics is the built in wind screen on the 58, which makes it better suited for vocals than a 57 and gives it a slightly different sound. Using the 58 for recording your amp will work fine.

If you remove the ball on the end by unscrewing it, it will be a 57. I'd say this isn't necessary though.

If you're still intent on recording direct from the amp, just plug a TRS lead from the 'line out', 'record out', or 'headphone out' on your amp into a line input on your audio interface. Make sure you don't plug a 'speaker out' from your amp into the interface however, as you will almost certainly cause some damage to you interface, amp or both.

muchas gracias senor

i dont think i have a headphone out or a line out or record out on my amp i have to check later on but i will try recording with the sm58 when i have some free time

and see how it sounds

i let you guys know if anything how it sounds or i upload a recording or something
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
yea don't plug your amp into your interface...unless you want to blow up both.........
Speaker outputs were made for speakers and headphone outs generally only put out the preamp stage meaning it will sound a little strange. Micing is the best way to go overall in this situation.

Mic with the 58 for now, they are very similar to the 57. The 58 just has a pop filter and a slightly bumped mid section.
Easiest thing to do is use your FX send into your Onyx. Then use speaker impulse files.

Mic'ing is ideal but you gotta find the sweet spot and you kinda need a descent volume to record at. It all comes down to what you want to do and what, if any, restrictions you have.
MetallyGuitarded.com
- Music Man Silhouette w/stock Floyd - Evo(B) ToneZone(N)
- Boss SD-1 & CS-3, EHX Hazarai & Clone Theory
- VHT PittBull 45 - 2x12
im back guys i messed around with sm58 and micing the amp it sounded pretty sweet XD

maybe the first time i i tried micing i didnt know how to do it properly but this time it was able to get the distortion and it sounded more natural than digital distortion

i got few questions now

should i buy a sm57 in the future for micing my amp or just stick with the sm58? like would i see a big difference?

and what would be a good micing stand to buy?

one small if possible just to hold the mic in front of amp since i dont have alot of space in my room
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
1. Stick with the SM58...the difference is minute and you're doing it as a hobby, so any differences aren't critical at all.
2. Get a stand, you need a consistent sound. This is what you'll probably want (I have a similar one myself, very compact yet versatile). The microphone you have should come with a clip, which will allow you to position the microphone just right.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Get a stand, you need a consistent sound. This is what you'll probably want (I have a similar one myself, very compact yet versatile). The microphone you have should come with a clip, which will allow you to position the microphone just right.

my microphone didnt come the clip i got it from somebody i have the cable and the mic only can i buy the clip separately?
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
k thanks for suggestion

i think i might have a microphone clip like that but on the other mic that came with a p.a i have to try it out and see if it fits

im thinking about buying the stand but i have question how much of a difference does it make where you place mic im thinking of maybe just getting something as small as this thing to put mic in front of amp

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Atlas-Low-Profile-Desktop-Mic-Stand?sku=450655
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
The position of the microphone on the speaker cone makes a big difference on the sound. Putting it on the edge, angled inwards and putting it facing directly in the centre of the cone will sound completely different. Experiment with placement until you find a sound you like. The stand FastFingers recommended would be ideal for this use.
The position of the microphone on the speaker cone makes a big difference on the sound. Putting it on the edge, angled inwards and putting it facing directly in the centre of the cone will sound completely different. Experiment with placement until you find a sound you like. The stand FastFingers recommended would be ideal for this use.

im still thinking about it XD

my problem is my computer is in one side of the room and i have to bring mic across room close to amp then plug guitar and bring guitar with me which is almost at other side of room near computer then use headphones to hear what im recording
and if i put a big ass stand on middle room is going to mess with me everytime i unplug guitar cable by mistake or need to change from distortion to clean

im going to try reorganizing my room in meantime
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
yeah, use the 58, but it is by no means the same mic as a 57. They have completely different frequency responses.

Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by stefan1988
im still thinking about it XD

my problem is my computer is in one side of the room and i have to bring mic across room close to amp then plug guitar and bring guitar with me which is almost at other side of room near computer then use headphones to hear what im recording
and if i put a big ass stand on middle room is going to mess with me everytime i unplug guitar cable by mistake or need to change from distortion to clean

im going to try reorganizing my room in meantime

If you're using a microphone to record, you can go off the amp's sound to see roughly what you're recording. Of course, if you want to hear if it was recorded correctly, then you just have to walk back. There's only one cable, the microphone one, that's going between the computer and you. And the stand's quite small really...I have it on a desk.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
thanks for answer guys i reorganized my room and managed to get my amp pretty close to my computer without all the cable clutter so i might buy mic standin the future right now im a little short on cash so i wait a little on it and stick to recording putting mic close to amp but i did notice a big difference in where you place the mic

one little problem i got now is when i play guitar im not really that close to the microphone but it manages to catch the sound when i strike strings how can i reduce that is not very annoying but sometimes is a problem if i sneeze or i make sounds by mistake

and does anybody use tracktion? im trying to raise the volume of what i record when i play it on my speakers it sounds low and when i give it to friends is kind of low too

i got the guitar volume maxed out i can increase the volume at the interface by turning the gain higher but is still not high enough is audible but i want it a little louder and if i maxed out gain then i have problems when i want to record rhytm a little soft and lead louder
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
Well, basically, if you sneeze or make a noise then you'll have to re-record, really. That's just how it is.

As for the volume, if there isn't enough gain, you might try adding compression which can raise the volume, or normalising your tracks (check the Tracktion manual). Remember that commercial tracks have been mastered to raise their volume, amongst other things, so your tracks won't be as loud as commercial ones in your CD collection. Read more here.