Page 1 of 2
Just for background, I'm an athiest...

I was thinking today, most of the world can be explained scientifically. Big bang, evolution etc. So, can someone please explain to me human consciousness? Things like free will, in my mind, cannot be scientifically explained. So, like I said before, can someone please explain this to me? I've asked other people, but they didn't know either...

Thanks

(Also, sorry if this should be in the religion thread)
NEW BTBAM 2009

NEW NECROPHAGIST 2009

NEW NILE 2009

NEW BEHEMOTH 2009

Have Xbox Live?
Gamer Tag: BehemothCm
I don't see what this has to do with religion...

And do you mean like thought processes and stuff? I don't really know, but I would like to.
Go read about Cognitive Neuroscience. They have some theories on it that have come up within the last 5 years.
its like asking someone to explain the taste of water.
or explaining color to a blind man.
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
We used to think Earth, Water, Air, and Fire made everything.

These things can be explained, but we aren't there yet. Don't EVER for one second think any aspect of science or technology has reached it's peak. There always is something new and completely different waiting to be discovered/invented. (ex. internet)
AMERICA
AMERICA
AMERICA
Id, ego, and super ego?
Quote by Mauri_wario
I would indeed "fap that thaing", but my dog is looking at me and it feels highly iinappropriate.
Quote by tbsff_7
good luck with that! if the world have a nuclear war 3 things would survive; cockroaches, twinkies, and boss pedals
read "moonchild" by aleiste crowley. its a novel, but theres an interesting explanation for exactly wat ur asking
My Gear:
Fender '72 Tele Thinline Deluxe Reissue
Vox Night Train 15W
If it is all biology and chemistry, then why can people freely think? You can't tell me that there are 'thinking' cells that haven't been discovered... And I realize the comment about scientific discoveries never ending... I just don't see how free will can be explained through science.
NEW BTBAM 2009

NEW NECROPHAGIST 2009

NEW NILE 2009

NEW BEHEMOTH 2009

Have Xbox Live?
what is the definition of "is?"
Quote by BlackandSilver
Kill 'em All in St Anger with the help of the Master of Puppets. He can Ride the Lightning, creating a Death Magnetic.

Myspace
Quote by outlaw767676
If it is all biology and chemistry, then why can people freely think? You can't tell me that there are 'thinking' cells that haven't been discovered... And I realize the comment about scientific discoveries never ending... I just don't see how free will can be explained through science.

You can't truly "freely think", you just have the illusion of doing so.
lol... coming from a psychology major... no answer scientifically. big bang and evolution are theory's mind you and aren't facts. psychology is the same way lots of contradictory theory's from behaviorists and naturalists etc.
its god telling you that you'll burn forever in the pits of hell. Tell Hitler i said Hi.
Quote by outlaw767676
Just for background, I'm an athiest...

I was thinking today, most of the world can be explained scientifically. Big bang, evolution etc. So, can someone please explain to me human consciousness? Things like free will, in my mind, cannot be scientifically explained. So, like I said before, can someone please explain this to me? I've asked other people, but they didn't know either...

Thanks

(Also, sorry if this should be in the religion thread)

Its like how cells divide, nobody knows why but it does it for some reason, and it works

Made by 'The Sloganizer' ----> «The Pit - be prepared.»

Quote by imdeth

"Billy eat your broccolli!"

"Screw you mom!" *raises arms*

PHEAR MA TURRETS!!
Quote by creeping.death!
You can't truly "freely think", you just have the illusion of doing so.

That makes no sense... Even if there was a God, he/she wouldn't control what you do.
NEW BTBAM 2009

NEW NECROPHAGIST 2009

NEW NILE 2009

NEW BEHEMOTH 2009

Have Xbox Live?
It's a byproduct of evolution. We gained larger brains with greater ability to remember, deduce, and problem solve. We're concious because it's necessary for survival. Without it we'd probably be extinct because we're a fairly frail species compaired to other hunters so we're basicly a walking snack without as much bothersome hair as the other animals.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
chemicals in your brain/certain synapses.

past events shape your thought process and that effects the synapses that happen.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Go into the woods naked for a week and see if you are still asking this question. Your human conscience will quickly take a back seat to your focus on survival. Humans have it so good these days that we can think about impossible questions instead of having to worry about surviving.
Quote by Gibson06

These things can be explained, but we aren't there yet. Don't EVER for one second think any aspect of science or technology has reached it's peak. There always is something new and completely different waiting to be discovered/invented. (ex. internet)

I knew that for many years people thought that, but earth, water and air are just kind of, there but why did that think fire? you have to create fire

Quote by imdeth

PHEAR MA TURRETS!!
Quote by Snuffles
I knew that for many years people thought that, but earth, water and air are just kind of, there but why did that think fire? you have to create fire

Not always. Lightning strikes, lots of sun with no rain, iron and flint rocks colliding in a landslide, lots of things can create a recipe for fire.
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Quote by Gibson06

+1

Don't turn to god to answer every little mystery that turns up, TS. We have discovered alot of things about the Earth, life, and the universe thanks to science but there are so many more things that have yet to be explained. The human mind is one of the most complicated things ever discovered (if not the most complicated). But nothing is out of our reach.
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
Quote by Garou1911
Not always. Lightning strikes, lots of sun with no rain, iron and flint rocks colliding in a landslide, lots of things can create a recipe for fire.

good point

Quote by imdeth

PHEAR MA TURRETS!!
Quote by outlaw767676
That makes no sense... Even if there was a God, he/she wouldn't control what you do.

My answer didn't imply a god, at all.

Your brain is made of chemicals. These are made to react accordingly to certain stimulus; therefore, your actions are determined by past events, and you really have no control over them.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
+1

Don't turn to god to answer every little mystery that turns up, TS. We have discovered alot of things about the Earth, life, and the universe thanks to science but there are so many more things that have yet to be explained. The human mind is one of the most complicated things ever discovered (if not the most complicated). But nothing is out of our reach.

Iunno, the human circulatory system is pretty high up there. Or the nervous system (though that encompasses the brain so I guess that counts.. Drats, foiled again )

-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Quote by Garou1911
It's a byproduct of evolution. We gained larger brains with greater ability to remember, deduce, and problem solve. We're concious because it's necessary for survival. Without it we'd probably be extinct because we're a fairly frail species compaired to other hunters so we're basicly a walking snack without as much bothersome hair as the other animals.

Thank you, this seems like a good enough explination... I knew the pit would pull through for me

Feel free to keep discussing, I'm intersted to see what people think.
NEW BTBAM 2009

NEW NECROPHAGIST 2009

NEW NILE 2009

NEW BEHEMOTH 2009

Have Xbox Live?
Quote by outlaw767676

even without a god you don't have free will. or at least not 'true' free will.

your brain will only react a certain way to a situation. every event that has ever happened will influence your decision to some extent and you will only have ever come to that one conclusion.

but even so, it appears to you that you have picked freely between the choices available to you.

it's a very specific case of cause and effect.

like a coin toss. it isn't really random. if you took into account every variable you could correctly predict how it would land. it's the same with the brain.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
The big bang hasn't been proven. And no one can really explain how we think. It just happens I guess.
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
EHX Metal Muff
Peavey Valvking 112
Boss ME-50
Holy Grail Reverb
You hear that? That God rolling up his sleeves to whoop some reall Atheist ass. TS, you first.
Quote by msuspartan
The big bang hasn't been proven. And no one can really explain how we think. It just happens I guess.

Actually they found *vibrations* in space which are rements of the big bang

Quote by imdeth

PHEAR MA TURRETS!!
Quote by SGibson666
You hear that? That God rolling up his sleeves to whoop some reall Atheist ass. TS, you first.

Why was that in any way necessary or relevant?
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Is it really that hard to understand? All conscious creatures are aware of their surroundings. Their minds have to figuratively "expand" to fit said surroundings for the purpose of survival. The only reason humans got so smart is because we started inventing things. As we invented things our surroundings became more and more "advanced," which forced our minds to have to gradually adapt to each new change. The more we change our surroundings, the smarter we get, and the smarter we get, the more we change our surroundings. It's not really a matter of free will or predestination, it just happened.
Quote by Garou1911

Why was that in any way necessary or relevant?

It was necessary because OH SHI-
Quote by Snuffles
Its like how cells divide, nobody knows why but it does it for some reason, and it works

Why cells divide? External signals based on space (namely in multicellular organisms, more room? fill the space), size (too big? can't get enough nutrients? divide), and much more that I can't recall right now.
The process of mitosis has also been thoroghly (sp? ) outlined, so we do know how cells divide.

Sure, they might not have every single reason why cells divide yet, but they do have many tested and proven reasons why division happens.

Oh, and on topic...well, I won't say anything at all. Gibson06 already outlined it perfectly.
Quote by jetfuel495
that is one goddamn shiny mother****ing toaster you have there
Quote by Dog--
It seems the top of those waffles are burnt.
Quote by imdeth
The toast has little red arrows growing from it. Nobody wants that.

SHUDDUP AND EAT YER TOAST
Quote by ToastYerLicks
Why cells divide? External signals based on space (namely in multicellular organisms, more room? fill the space), size (too big? can't get enough nutrients? divide), and much more that I can't recall right now.
The process of mitosis has also been thoroghly (sp? ) outlined, so we do know how cells divide.

Sure, they might not have every single reason why cells divide yet, but they do have many tested and proven reasons why division happens.

Oh, and on topic...well, I won't say anything at all. Gibson06 already outlined it perfectly.

If you can figure out why cells divide (like what signals them to divide) that sir, you have just found a cure for tumors

Quote by imdeth

PHEAR MA TURRETS!!
i really don't know how to word what im trying to say.

so ill just facepalm you
Quote by iantheman
I laughed at someone for breaking his g-string, and got sigged

Quote by Veil Of Osiris

You just made me spit out my Kool-Aid all over my keyboard.

sorry
Quote by Snuffles
Actually they found *vibrations* in space which are rements of the big bang

How can they prove that it's a remant of the Big Bang. Us humans cannot even comprehend how the universe is woven together, so how can we prove that vibrations in space are remants of a "Big Bang", and not just some random sh*t we cant explain.
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
EHX Metal Muff
Peavey Valvking 112
Boss ME-50
Holy Grail Reverb
Quote by msuspartan
How can they prove that it's a remant of the Big Bang. Us humans cannot even comprehend how the universe is woven together, so how can we prove that vibrations in space are remants of a "Big Bang", and not just some random sh*t we cant explain.

Yeah but thats just what they say, im just a 'messenger'

Quote by imdeth

PHEAR MA TURRETS!!
Quote by msuspartan

In all fairness that's a very valid point. They've found vibrations that seem very likely to be linked to the big bang, but they have yet to produce any conclusive proof. It's just a very plasuable scientific theory ATM.
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Page 1 of 2