Page 1 of 2
For me, its Trivium. At first, I thought they were a gay emo band (I still think that of their early stuff). However, with their new album, I can't believe how good it is! Emoiisms are kept to a minimum, riffs are fantastic, playing is top-notch, songwriting is great and the screaming is tolerable.

Also, Slayer. I used to love them to death (see username). Now, even though I like them and can't wait to see them live, I am far less interested in their music.
TS is obviously a moron for thinking Trivium was/is emo.

I used to hate Underoath, but I like them now. They are starting to become one of my favorite bands.
Quote by fob12
Him -"Hey, give me a high five!"
Her -"hahaha why? *high fives*"
Him - "Because I just dumped you for the lulz!"
Her -"... what?"
Him -"*runs away*"

Quote by Lefty7Stringer
killswitch engage has some dissonant riffs, they're kind grindcore tho

Divine Heresy, their album is growing on me.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
I wasn't a very big fan of Rise Against. Now I really like "Siren Song of the Counterculture", and sort of don't mind the other stuff.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Quote by bakshandloomis

I used to hate Underoath, but I like them now. They are starting to become one of my favorite bands.

Why immediately call someone a moron if they had the wrong idea about a band?
Typical metal elitist...
Quote by Fat-bastard0603
I used to hate Radiohead, now I like it very much

Exactly the same. I love The Bends album. It's new and refreshing from my other music tastes.

INTOLERANCE IS IGNORANCE

Quote by kosmic
Holy Moses.
haha
Ummm. I diliked screaming, now its okay, still prefer singing though.

But seriously, Trivium's ascendency is a good album. the screaming is the same as on Shogun, and most of the songs actually have a non-emo meaning. Like a gunshot to the head of trepedation is about child abuse/ spousal abuse. Yes Rain is pretty like that, but people just say that-like metallica has lyrics like that too, so why arent they emo?

If you mean the way the looked, yeah i cannot reconcile that.
TS almost made a new word in "Emoism", but mispelled it, thus voiding the new word...

+1, to the Slayer comments
Quote by Mr.Pink101
I saw a bumper sticker in a guitar store that read
"Like all musicians, Your Following the Bassist"
I lol'd

Quote by muhat gandy
It was a weird feeling cumming to someone being ripped apart...
Killswitch Engage, I tought they were kind of emo (yeah, you can say im stupid) because of the lyrics, but omg, their riffs are killers
R.E.M. i liked "it's the end of the world", but then i looked more into their music, and they are a great band. i also used to like weezer, but now not so much
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
I used to think Metallica was pretty awesome; they were my favourite band, in fact.

Now the only album I can listen to without getting bored is AJFA.
Quote by bakshandloomis

Why, thanks for such a constructive comment. Nothing like starting fights on the internet
Recently? I would have to say Nikelback. I listen to all genres of music from soft rock to hardcore headbanging metal. I liked their original stuff then they got TOO soft for me. Now I think they're heading more towards their older stuff. They're not there yet but getting there and I'm glad to see it.

Another band would have to be Dragonforce. Back in the day before I started playing guitar I used to think they were awsome but now that I know so much more about musical theory I realize that most of their stuff isn't all that complicated and ground breaking.

These are just my opinions
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
Quote by RX120D
Why immediately call someone a moron if they had the wrong idea about a band?
Typical metal elitist...

Metal elitists like Underoath?
And yeah I admit I probably shouldn't have called him a moron, it just makes me mad how everyone throws the term emo around so much.
Quote by fob12
Her -"... what?"
Him -"*runs away*"

Quote by Lefty7Stringer

Eminem lol. Read about a new album of his coming out and decided to start listening to him again. He's pretty good
Quote by bakshandloomis

That's pretty harsh bro. It's just his opinion, no need to get defensive.
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
Quote by bakshandloomis
And yeah I admit I probably shouldn't have called him a moron, it just makes me mad how everyone throws the term emo around so much.

Eh whatevr maybe I should take a closer look into Triviums older stuff, might be better than I thought. I still think that their old screaming was terrible, although the new screams are good
Nickelback. i'd only heard their radio pop songs, and i didn't really like them much. then i heard "Side of a Bullet" and i realised that i knew nothing about Nickelback, and that they have lots of heavier songs than what i'd heard.
If people nowadays are judging bands to be emo by their lyrics, would that mean Pantera is emo because of the lyrics in 'This love'? What about Opeth? They have an 'observation' written about a woman and love. Sounds pretty stupid to call them Emo, right?
Quote by RX120D
If people nowadays are judging bands to be emo by their lyrics, would that mean Pantera is emo because of the lyrics in 'This love'? What about Opeth? They have an 'observation' written about a woman and love. Sounds pretty stupid to call them Emo, right?

You don't have any idea of what I meant by the term "emo". For all you know, I could mean anything by the word. Maybe I wan't even talking about the lyrics?

Not trying to fight or anything though,
Um, doesn't emo stand for emotional? So, if a song with any emotion at all can be called emo by this logic. Heck! Cannibal Corpse can be called emo for the emotion of wanting to screw dead people!
The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus. I usually hate most emo punk rock stuff, but I like their "Red Jumpsuit Apparatus" album. Don't You Fake It was extremely terrible, I don't know what happened to them.
As ashamed as I am to say it "The Arctic Monkeys"

I make a point of ignoring all new bands that make it into the mainstream until Radio 1 has stopped playing their songs on a constant loop. "I bet that you look good on the dancefloor" was ruined for me that way.

However, after a mate of mine lent me their debut album I have to say I actually quite like it. They don't deserve the "Greatest Band EVARR!!!" award that most 15 year old seem to be throwing at them but they are a pretty good band...even if the members are all a bunch of pricks
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Quote by bakshandloomis

An elitist can like any band. What makes them elitist is the way their opinions are what is right and everything else is wrong. Like this one guy I met last week. He was convinced that Muse is the best band in the world and John Paul Jones is the best bass player of all time. There was no convincing him otherwise.

Sorry for calling you an elitist though, I might be wrong.
First time I heard L.D. 50 I could only hear screaming, now I love it, awesome album.

On the other hand power chord driven bands like Offspring, which I used to love, now bores me, Ive only heard their new album once and that was enough.
Quote by slayer1516
You don't have any idea of what I meant by the term "emo". For all you know, I could mean anything by the word. Maybe I wan't even talking about the lyrics?

Not trying to fight or anything though,

I know, I was just trying to say that the term is way overused and it's getting annoying. I was just pointing out the sillyness in which some people use it.
Emo music =/= music with emotion.

Emo music as TS is using the term refers to the actions, style, sound, etc. of the band not just lyrics.

On topic, i have recently started to listen to some power metal that i earlier (and still kind of do) would have thought of as cheesy and overwrought.
Quote by Beakwithteeth
No.

Uh, yeah?
Last I heard was that Emo meant Emotional.
But then again, I could be wrong.
[EDIT] sik209 knows. lol
ITT

pointless debating about what constitutes the term EMO
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Interesting. I have the opposite opinion about Trivium. Ascendancy is easily their best album, and I can't stand their new stuff.

EDIT:
Quote by Tom hatton
As I Lay Dying, Parkway Drive, Underoath...

Screamo= good stuff.

As I Lay Dying and Parkway Drive =/= Screamo.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Last edited by GodofCheesecake at Nov 12, 2008,
Quote by RX120D
An elitist can like any band. What makes them elitist is the way their opinions are what is right and everything else is wrong. Like this one guy I met last week. He was convinced that Muse is the best band in the world and John Paul Jones is the best bass player of all time. There was no convincing him otherwise.

Sorry for calling you an elitist though, I might be wrong.

Alright, I just thought Metal Elitists were those guys who think Trivium, Slipknot, As I lay Dying, etc. aren't Metal (please, no one start this argument up again).
Quote by fob12
Her -"... what?"
Him -"*runs away*"

Quote by Lefty7Stringer

METALLICA -- i used to love them (still do but nothing after ...AJFA) but they sold out. St Anger? Load / Reload?
All Shall Perish, ABRB, Behemoth, Belay My Last, TBDM, Born Of Osiris, Carnifex, Despised Icon, I Declare War, Impending Doom, Odious Mortem, Salt The Wound, Suicide Silence, WhiteChapel
Page 1 of 2