Poll: Which Guitar?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which Guitar?
ESP Standard Eclipse-II Series (EMG's)
18 75%
ESP Stnadard Viper
6 25%
Voters: 24.
So i really like esp, and they seem to have the specs i want, but these two guitars are basically the same. The viper has 24 fretts(which I prefer) and a EMG 85 insted of a 60. So in your experience, which one is better? Why?
Thanks in advance
i voted viper but i confused
i vote eclipse
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
the eclipse will have a better rhythm tone thanks to the EMG-60, and looks more awesome, but the viper is made more for lead playing, hence the 24 frets and the EMG-85
Hovercraft Falcon 100 "La Dama del Solaris"
ESP LTD Phoenix-1000
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst
Used to own a Viper and I've played Eclipses, the Viper has amazing fret access, Eclipse upper fret access isn't that great, EMG60 has much better cleans if they're important to you, but it sounds quite murky under high gain for lead.

The tonal properties of the Eclipse vs the Viper, for rhythm, the Eclipse will be a tiny bit brighter because of the Maple top, but people don't realize it's a pretty minute difference.

They're both kinda neck heavy, probably more so on the Viper, I haven't played an Eclipse standing but I think the strap button is in a better location.

These days I'd take the Eclipse, the brighter rhythm tone appeals to me, and I already own a guitar with 27 frets / good access.

Also the action on my Viper was amazing, but that was set up by me, the Eclipses may not have been well setup, still great action though.

Edit : When I say rhythm tone I mean on the bridge pickup.
Quote by Ben12321
do you think that they would be alright in drop c?

i've had my viper in drop c with .11's and it worked well.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
I wouldn't worry to much about the finish being scratch resistant, but that's just me. I've played the Viper and I own an Eclipse, and I love that satin finish on the neck. With the Eclipse, the fret access isn't great, but it's never been a problem for me. With the Viper having 24 frets, the access to the 22nd fret is a little better. I've never played the Viper standing up, but my Eclipse isn't neck heavy at all. The 60 in the neck is good for cleans, but a little too bassy for leads, although that's just my opinion. Both the Viper and Eclipse are comfortable to play though, and the Viper I played had a satin finish as well which felt great.

It's really all opinion. I chose the Eclipse because it felt more comfortable to me. The only way to really know is to try em' both out.
Well, I prefer the neck of the Eclipse, and the EMG-60 will blow the EMG-85 out of the water when clean.
But that's just me.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
I vote Eclipse purely for aesthetic reasons. The Viper looks simply ridiculous to me. It's like someone tried and failed to stretch out a Gibson SG. Vipers are the only ESPs that I hate the look of.

Having said that, I've never played either of these guitars, so for all I know, the Viper could very well be the best-playing instrument the world has ever seen.
Quote by Fox McKalen
Having said that, I've never played either of these guitars, so for all I know, the Viper could very well be the best-playing instrument the world has ever seen.

mine plays like butter and it's only a 400 series, i could only imagine how smooth an esp standard would be
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Recommended threads
Which ESP?
MegaD
Last post:
by gucio93