Hey guys.

I'm getting tired of my current bass sound. I've only been playing for about a year and a half, and, I don't know how to change it.

I was wondering if I should change the pick ups, or maybe the strings? My current set up is an Ibanez Soundgear bass with a Peavy Max158 Amp.

I want a kind of "slinky" kind of sound. A more distinct sound, basically. That your really know it's the bass that's making that sound.

Any ideas?
Mess with your EQ? Get a new amp? Play differently?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I play several different styles, all ready. And I was wondering what it could specifically be.
A lot of tone comes from your fingers. Try a combination of picking and fretting differently, IE harder, lighter, adjusting your tone and volume knobs, etc. Like Zaphod said ,try messing with your EQ, and if all else fails, try going to a music shop with your bass and trying different amps and maybe a pedal or two. If none of that helps and it actually is the bass, then might be the time to consider pups.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by Mikey_Madness
I play several different styles, all ready.

The EQ and/or amp is probably what you want to change then, the pickups probably won't do that much unless you change the type of pickup you have and that would require routing and all that kind of stuff...

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Mikey_Madness
Uhm...EQ?

Equalization, the tone controls on your amp (treble, middle, bass or whatever they're labeled as).

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.