Hey, I've been playing for about 2-2.5 years now, and I'm looking to upgrade my guitar. By the time I get around to it, I'll probably have saved up about one grand. Is that enough to get a guitar that'll last me for a couple years? I'm mainly into playing stuff by guitarists like Satriani and Jerry C (although I do play some thrash metal), so I'd prefer something with a fast neck and high fret access. Also, what are the best sites to order off of, if I can't find a guitar locally? I've heard of Sweetwater and Musician's Friend. Thanks.
musicians friend is the same as guitarcenter. If you're going to order online i'd go sweetwater, they have a nice setup at their warehouse they do on all guitars, as well as you being able to order a specifig guitar you see on their guitar gallery, which is always nice.

depending on what you want in a guitar, 1000 is a very good amount i think. you could get a Jackson DK2M, Fender Fat American Strat, An Ibanez Prestige, a Charvel Strat, a very wide array of guitars is open at that range.. you could even build a custom Carvin guitar in that area and get the exact specs you want.
Last edited by Chad11491 at Nov 12, 2008,
I wouldn't buy a guitar that expensive from the internet. If I were you I'd just go to a Guitar Center/other big guitar store and play everything you can afford. Also, hit your local Craigslist and see if there are any people with used guitars you're interested in.
$1000 should be more than enough to get a good guitar that will last many years. Of course it depends a bit on exactly what sort of model of guitar you want. From the sound of it, I'd think something like a typical Ibanez or ESP super-Strat would be right up your street. Of the two, I think the build quality is a bit better on most ESPs, so if you're looking for something that will last you many years, I'd check out ESP first.
Fender could be good too, my knowledge of American pricing is a little out of date now I think, but you should be able to get an American Standard Series HSS strat for under $1000.

As far as shops go... when you're spending a grand or more, don't buy online. Ever. You have to go try the guitar out in a shop, and even if it costs more in a shop than online, you have to bite the bullet and get the one you played in the store, because at this sort of price range and above, every guitar will have a slightly different feel, and you're talking about the sort of money that you can't afford to risk pissing away buying something online that you've not personally tested out beforehand.

I mean look at me. I just got a Gibson Custom Shop, and I bought it in a store, even though buying it online would have saved me almost £600 (that's about $1100). Not only that, but the store I bought it from was on the other side of the country from me (about a three hour drive there and three hours back). Hell of a big saving I missed out, plus the hassle of driving all that way - but I'm damn glad I did, because I had to try out nine other Gibsons which were all awful before I found this one which was amazing. If I'd just bought one blindly online, sure I'd have saved a lot of money, but chances are I'd have ended up with a rubbish guitar.

When you're looking at cheaper guitars in the $500 and below range, buying online is fine, but once you go to a thousand or more, you shouldn't even consider buying online as an option, ever.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
^ It depends on your model. If it's a Fender or an Ibanez or ESP, you can feel pretty confident you're not going to get a lemon. I'd buy it online AFTER YOU'VE GONE TO A STORE AND TRIED OUT THE MODEL. Pick out the model at the store and buy it online because you can get it cheaper. But make sure you pick a site that lets you return it if it's defected or whatever.
Quote by MrFlibble

When you're looking at cheaper guitars in the $500 and below range, buying online is fine, but once you go to a thousand or more, you shouldn't even consider buying online as an option, ever.

LOL. I've gone well above that online several times and have yet to be disappointed.

$1000 will get you a very solid guitar that will last forever -- even less than that. In
the big scheme it's a pretty much mid-priced (lower) guitar.
Alright, I'll definitely consider all of this. Thanks for all of the quick help guys!
Quote by tigerking615
^ It depends on your model. If it's a Fender or an Ibanez or ESP, you can feel pretty confident you're not going to get a lemon. I'd buy it online AFTER YOU'VE GONE TO A STORE AND TRIED OUT THE MODEL. Pick out the model at the store and buy it online because you can get it cheaper. But make sure you pick a site that lets you return it if it's defected or whatever.

Most guitar shops will honor and match on -line prices. All the ones around here do anyway. As long as they are the exact same model. Ive never bought a guitar on-line. I always go to the same shop. I like it because they have a luthier there. And he sets the guitar up how i like it before i walk out the door. And i always have them put new strings on before i ever go out the door. And its not Guitar Center. its just a music shop, where they beleive in customer care and the best service.
Last edited by IPlaySchecter at Nov 12, 2008,
For ordering online, I would go through Drum City Guitar Land. They've got the best customer service I know of, and their selection is great.

I'd personally recommend an ESP, possibly the M-II , but you'd need about $1400. Or you could get a neck-thru Horizon. If you up your budget to $1400-1500 you can get a guitar that will last a long time.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Quote by IPlaySchecter
In my opinion i would stay away from ibanez!
They make good guitars, but the high-end ones run around $2000, so I agree.

Carvin also makes guitars that they sell in stores in California for 2 grand. However, if you order it factory direct, you can get a kickass, customized (to a point) guitar for $800. Go get yourself a phaser or a POD with the rest; I'd suggest a high-end amp, but those will run $2000.

I have a Carvin and everyone who has played it is jealous that it's mine and not theirs. "This is my guitar. Many are like it, but this one is mine." No no no. "This is my guitar. Few are like it, and this one is mine."
Quote by bangoodcharlote

Carvin also makes guitars that they sell in stores in California for 2 grand. However, if you order it factory direct, you can get a kickass, customized (to a point) guitar for $800. Go get yourself a phaser or a POD with the rest; I'd suggest a high-end amp, but those will run $2000.

I have a Carvin and everyone who has played it is jealous that it's mine and not theirs. "This is my guitar. Many are like it, but this one is mine." No no no. "This is my guitar. Few are like it, and this one is mine."

"My guitar is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my guitar is useless. Without my guitar I am useless. I must play my guitar true."

I'll definitely check out the Carvin's, as I've been checking out their site and they seem pretty decent
The only disadvantage with Carvin is that you have to buy the guitar before you get a chance to play it. I got it as a birthday present, so I'm not sure about this, but I think you can return the guitar for a full refund (within a certain amount of time) if you get it and don't like it.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
The only disadvantage with Carvin is that you have to buy the guitar before you get a chance to play it. I got it as a birthday present, so I'm not sure about this, but I think you can return the guitar for a full refund (within a certain amount of time) if you get it and don't like it.

Yeah, I saw somewhere on the site that there was a 30 day guarantee, or something along those lines.
Quote by bangoodcharlote

The lower end Prestige guitars are also built by the J Craft team, so why not? Yeah, pickups are crap compared to guitars in the price range, but you can always replace them. The hardware is made by Gotoh too, I think.

But Carvin is a good choice too.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
the more you spend the less extra quality you get. for instance there is a bigger quality difference between a 200 squire and a 400 mexican standard strat than there is between the 400 mexican and the 1000 american. try em back to back to back if you dont beleive me. after you hit the 500 700 dollar budget range is when it starts to taper off on the quality per extra dollars spent ratio. im not saying not to spend a grand on a guitar but remember amps are very important for your sound too and less money spent on a guitar equals more money for an amp.
I could do great with $1000.00.

Don't rule out used equipment the best deals out there right now is going used. I have gotten guitars that sell new between $500.00 and $700.00 street price for $100.00 and in good shape. Musicians Friend has some great deal check their Clearance and Scratch and Dent sections. I have gotten three Scratch and Dent guitars from them and there was nothing wrong with them that I could find except for a loose jackplug on one guitar. I just scored a Schecter Avenger A7 in excellent condition for $100.00 off Craigs list. You can't beat deals like that. Get an idea of what you want and start searching especially now with the holidays coming up people are selling to get money for Christmas and with the slow economy on top of it the deals are getting better and better. Right now it's a buyers market take advantage of it.
i read that you have a Gibson on your profile? if that's true, i'd say drop the ideas of a new guitar and get a new amp. a fender (i've never heard of the model) is not going to do you any good, then spending a grand on a guitar that in the end, is going to sound like ass still.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.