I've been looking into getting a new acoustic, and i'm pretty sure i'm gonna get a seagull. At first I wanted an s-6, but as I was comparing the different sounds on youtube I came across the mini jumbo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf0KQzDUtpg

I think I like the tone of it alot more and it's $50 less than the s-6, but what exactly does mini jumbo mean? Will the scale length of the guitar be smaller, but have bigger frets? I really like it's tone, but I want a full size guitar...
"The object of war is not to die for your country, it's to make the other bastard die for his" -General George S. Patton
jumbo body, thin in depth.....most of the time

i own the ibanez mini-jumbo and thats how it is....dont know about seagulls
I'm not sure who first came up with the "mini-jumbo" classification. What it really is, in terms of the accepted nomenclature for these things, is a Grand Concert. This is a very specific body style, although it gets 'interpreted' in various way by different makers.

This body style is usually coupled with a wider, flatter fingerboard and relatively thin neck, making it especially well suited to fingerstyle playing; the body is typically small, having similar proportions to those of a jumbo and relatively shallow. This will give a tone that is capable of more intimate and detailed playing styles than, say, your average dread or actual jumbo.

Again, this is not to say that one can't play fingerstyle on a dread, or strum/flatpick a GC....it's just a commonly accepted generalization.
So then it's basically like a classical guitar?
"The object of war is not to die for your country, it's to make the other bastard die for his" -General George S. Patton
No...nothing like a classical at all in terms of structure. This is a steel string guitar and is braced for the extra tension on the top that steel strings generate. It also has an adjustable truss rod in the neck which is lacking in nylon string/classical guitars and has a neck that joins the body at the 14th fret, rather than at the 12th.

Of course, the fact that its steel string that doesn't stop you from playing classical style music on it. You would expect the tone to be sweeter and more detailed on this than a larger steel string, which would certainly lend itself to these styles and also which is why this would tend to be favored by fingerstylists, but you can use it in whatever way suits.

I find that my GC sounds really great with a capo, for example...better than my larger L-style guitar. It just responds better to higher-pitched harmonics and harmonic content.
A mini jumbo is generally just a normal every day Jumbo with thinner sides. This specific seagull mini jumbo is about as thin as a normal dreadnought.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Thanks for all the help you guys... I'm still kinda debating on whether not to get the mini jumbo or the s-6, what do you guys reccommend? I'm leaning towards the mini jumbo because i loved the way it sounded in the video; the videos I saw of the s-6 didn't seem as great as what the guitar is made out to be...
I have the Seagull Entourage Mini Jumbo, TS, and I adore it. The only downsides are that I haven't been able to find a case for it, and the neck takes some getting used to, and when you play normal guitars, it feels weird.
Nine planets surround the sun
Only one does the sun embrace
Upon this watered one
So much we take for granted

So let us sleep outside tonight
Lay down in our mother's arms
For here we can rest safely
Can you try them before you buy it? It's never a good idea to buy without trying it.

I would personally go for the jumbo. The jumbo sound is just where it's at. You can't go wrong with either though, to be honest. *points at signature* I'm a Seagull player.
Equipment:

The only possible way I can try it is if I drive 2 hours away, and I dont really feel like making that drive. I live in a small town so their isnt much around me. The music shops I've been too havent really had anything too spectacular, their's only a fender, epiphone, and greg bennett dealer around me... I think I'm going to go for the mini jumbo...
I still haven't made my order yet, because I've been waiting around for something to pop up on craigs list and ebay. I just found another seagull, but this one is a coastline gt series. I looked at it on musiciansfriend and it's around 500 dollars, but the one that i found is 275 and it includes the hardshell case. The only thing I don't really like about it is the fact that it has laminate sides. Do you guys think I should go for this or stick with the mini jumbo?

The pictures of the guitar don't show and scratches dings or anything... He said he was getting rid of it because he didn't like how wide the fretboard was...
Last edited by justnmcknz at Nov 23, 2008,
They all have laminate sides unless you buy performer or artist series. To be honest though, Seagull's laminates are superior to any other laminate I've come across in a guitar. They can compete with all solid wood guitars, don't worry.
Equipment:

Thanks for the help.. I think I'm going to order the coasline series, that deal is just too good to pass up. I like the looks of the mini jumbo more, but I'm assuming that since the coastline is more expensive it will sound better. I checked youtube for some sound samples and it sounded pretty good. I could only find fingerpicking samples though, so I'm not sure how bassy it is. I want a rhythm guitar....