I just replaced the 5-way switch on my Japanese Squier Strat, and in doing so I seem to have accidentally affected the volume of the guitar - I can hardly hear it at all, even when the amp's all the way up. When the volume's less than 8, it can't be heard at all.

Hopefully you guys can help me out. This is my only guitar and so I'm a little nervous.

Thanks.
What schematic did you follow?

(I can't help you at all, it just seems like a good question )
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Btw, the hoop at the right confuses me beyond belief. What am I supposed to do with it? It was attached to the original switch, but my friend and I determined that it wasn't connected to any sort of wiring in there - merely screwed on for convenience.
think its ground
those clever japanese don't even need coloured wires, they are like 'coloured wiring is for American morons'
ontopic: looks like a bitch man, wish i could help
Quote by Øttər
What schematic did you follow?

(I can't help you at all, it just seems like a good question )

I followed several different ones - not a good idea, I know, but there weren't any specifically for my instrument and the part that I was dealing with - the 5-way switch - seemed to be the same on all of them. So I just gathered as much as I could.
Quote by GaijinFoot
think its ground
those clever japanese don't even need coloured wires, they are like 'coloured wiring is for American morons'
ontopic: looks like a bitch man, wish i could help

But what would I do with a ground wire?
Solder it to the trem claw / other part of the bridge.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
your solder looks all pointy. Correct me if I'm wrong, but ell soldered joints are smooth and round. Perhaps there's a cold joint
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/Fuzzycows5157/canada.bmp[/IMG]
Quote by Fuzzycows5157
your solder looks all pointy. Correct me if I'm wrong, but ell soldered joints are smooth and round. Perhaps there's a cold joint

thats just the wire sticking out of the solder
Yo dude,
If you go to Axesrus.com there's a tab on the main selection page that says 'Wiring Diagrams' of something of the like. You'll get a PDF of easy to read, simple diagrams. I printed one off and it's my bible lol, it includes diagrams for push-pull pots too, and other custom stuff.

I highly recomend the following (I did it and never looked back for my own Squire):

Gut your guitar. Take everything out, clean off all the solder and scrap thre wires.
Buy some new wire.
Re-wire acording to the appropriate schem.
You might want to go ahead and clean the contacts too, but keep your wires as direct and short as possible.

This should sort your volume issue and the guitar will sound ace if you've grounded it right. And the insides will be neat and tidy too

Have fun with that.
I can do no wrong, for I do not know what wrong is.

The Gear:
Squire 50th Stratocaster (Pimped Out)
Gibson SG Standard
Tuxedo Telecaster Terror (Own Build)
Nameless Les paul
Marshall MGFX 100 Combo