Hello everyone, so I've been playing guitar for around two months, and I've been focusing heavily on chords and speed and strength in my fretting hand, i don't have any trouble picking just my fretting, anyway, ive been doing this scale that looks like this

e|-----------------------------------------1-2-3-4-|
b|---------------------------------1-2-3-4---------|
g|-------------------------1-2-3-4-----------------|
d|-----------------1-2-3-4-------------------------|
a|---------1-2-3-4---------------------------------|
e|-1-2-3-4-----------------------------------------|

im using a metronome to guide myself, but I wondering what a good goal for BPM would be for me, ive been working variations of this as well at least trying to, Im currently fretting this exercise at 195-200 bpm
anyways thanks in advance
750 at least

dont do a repeated pattern over the strings it doesnt help as much than if you did someting with stretches and alternate fingerings
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
I use that as a warmup, that and then:
5 4 3 2
5 4 3 2
5 4 3 2
5 4 3 2
5 4 3 2
5 4 3 2

And then 3456, and so on, keep going up the neck.

But yeah, it's also a good alternate picking excercise. Just keep playing it as fast as you can.
my warmup right now is play slaughtered by pantera and erotomania by dream theater
Quote by lolmnt
lol thanks guyz, ya i don't think i'll be able to play 750 for a while lol if ever, i haven't learned any songs yet haha, still trying to get these chords clean sounding, and learning how to slide and play powerchords and such
oh man your missing out
i just did that at 1050
Quote by lolmnt
Quote by MountainBoy79
lol thanks guyz, ya i don't think i'll be able to play 750 for a while lol if ever, i haven't learned any songs yet haha, still trying to get these chords clean sounding, and learning how to slide and play powerchords and such

1 - Not knowing any songs = epic fail.

2 - Playing at 205bpm and not playing chords clean = epic fail.

3 - Playing at 205bpm and not being able to slide = epic fail

4 - Playing at 205bpm and not being able to play powerchords well = epic fail

Getting the point yet?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
lol teaching yourself isn't so easy, so forgive me if i don't do things in the right order, im working on it all collectivly
plus only been playing for about a month and a half to two months
Last edited by MountainBoy79 at Nov 12, 2008,
Quote by MountainBoy79
lol teaching yourself isn't so easy, so forgive me if i don't do things in the right order, im working on it all collectivly
plus only been playing for about a month and a half to two months

I'm self taught, using that as an excuse for missing things in your knowledge doesn't wash with me. Also I only tend to dispense truth in "brutal" form.

Learn some songs and work on getting the basics down to a good standard before you go trying to lay down some 3p1c shr3dzorz, without having the basics down well you will never be a good guitarist and without the basics down you're likely to have atrocious technique for the advanced stuff anyway.

I'll put it this way: 99% of your time as a guitarist will be spent playing rhythm so make that a priority, don't sweat lead too much.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by MountainBoy79
well i haven't really found anythihg good to help me with rhythm any suggestions?

Yeah...learn some bloody songs. Just simple ones, the kind of thing that everyone knows. The main thing you should be doing more than anything is learning to play MUSIC not just exercises.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
I try to play music ive got the chords down lol the ones i can't get down are like the odd ones like F the 7 chords stuff like that, but ya, ive been looking for some simple chords songs to play, no luck so far
Quote by MountainBoy79
I try to play music ive got the chords down lol the ones i can't get down are like the odd ones like F the 7 chords stuff like that, but ya, ive been looking for some simple chords songs to play, no luck so far

Keep practicing and trying. It's hard to begin with but the only way you're gonna get better is if you practice the right things. Learn stuff like House of the Rising Sun by The Animals and Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd, those two are really simple songs that you shouldn't have trouble with but at least you'll be learning music instead of just exercises.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
look up CCR songs, neil young, wish you were here by pink floyd is easy. House of the rising sun too, go to chordie.com, they have a list of plenty of easy songs for you to browse over. Get working on chords for sure. Also, just playing 1234 across the neck doesn't do anything for you, start learning major and minor scales
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
1 - Not knowing any songs = epic fail.

2 - Playing at 205bpm and not playing chords clean = epic fail.

3 - Playing at 205bpm and not being able to slide = epic fail

4 - Playing at 205bpm and not being able to play powerchords well = epic fail

Getting the point yet?

He's probably a beginner, give him a break.

And 750 is probably a good goal, working on scales will help your playing immensely down the road.
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
EHX Metal Muff
Peavey Valvking 112
Boss ME-50
Holy Grail Reverb
Quote by msuspartan
He's probably a beginner, give him a break.

Being a beginner just means he needs some harsh truth about priorities and I don't give people breaks. Brutal truth or none at all from me.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
yeah, i agree with the song guy though, but don't learn those songs everyone does, what type of music do you like to listen to?? there isn't a nirvana song that has more than 5 chords in it, and they're all simple, start with songs you like, and if they're hard, just put a little time into them, but don't forget about the lead stuff either!!! keep doing lead to, but learn a scale, not just the chromatics (what you're doing now) learn the pentatonic scale, or the major scale, and you'll go leaps and bounds quick...
Only raise your BPM when you can play accurately and cleanly at your current level.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Yeah...learn some bloody songs. Just simple ones, the kind of thing that everyone knows. The main thing you should be doing more than anything is learning to play MUSIC not just exercises.

lol...it's like looking in a mirror

TS, he's right - getting good at exercises should NEVER be a goal in guitar playing, exercises are a means to an end, not the end itself. Goals can be learning a new chord or technique, or a piece of music but there's no point sitting there practicing an exercise over and over actually trying to get good at that exercise - exercises are there to help you get good at other stuff.

By all means use that chromatic exercise in your practice routine as a workout for your fingers, and use a metronome to set the beat...but don't treat the metronome as some kind of speedometer. It's not there to measure your speed or tell you how "good" you are, it's just there to help keep you in time.

Concentrate on your chords and get learning some songs, you'll progress a lot quicker that way.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
You can play those chromatic exercises all your life and get it up to 846384384 bpm, but no one will care, because at the end of the day what matters is that you can play some music well.
That exercise serves a function of synchronizing your hands, nothing more. You will not be able to play lightning fast solos after doing endless chromatic runs, because in real music, you have to different techniques, jump around strings, complex phrasing etc etc.. the list goes on and on.

Your real goals should be: play song A, play song B, play song C, play solo A, play solo B, learn technique A, B, C, learn theory etc. Meanwhile you can work on the synchronization. Speed will come with time.
Last edited by Thunderstorm at Nov 20, 2008,
I would work on making the chors sound good before trying to progress in speed.

there's really no point in trying to be faster if it's still muddy. Speed is relative.

"Music is the silence between notes" or something :p
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
Quote by steven seagull
lol...it's like looking in a mirror

You taught me well man

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Ive got the chords down really nicley now, I'm just looking for some basic songs to play, I may start learning the pentatonic scale, it seems really interesting
Try some CCR, they do some pretty straightforward chordy stuff, and it's easy to solo over too when you get a little more advanced.

And bear in mind that there are a LOT of chords - I've been playing 18 years and I'm still learning new stuff about chords, not to mention everything else...the amount of stuff I know about and can do on the guitar is still massively outweighed by the stuff I don't and can't.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com