Hello i am trying to record a new song ive wrote which is f*ckin ace! and i have plugged my guitar into my pc via microphone socket using a jack converter thing so it fits. now when i play my guitar with my distortion on my pedal it is really distorted when i play, and makes it sound crap. ive tryed to turn it down but it keeps hapening until the distortion is turned right down on my fx.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
You're overloading the input and clipping it; some sort of USB device such as the m-audio fasttrack usb would make a huge difference.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
You're overloading the input and clipping it; some sort of USB device such as the m-audio fasttrack usb would make a huge difference.

+1

An proper audio interface will help no end, go to the Riffs & Recording forum for cheap recording rigs, I believe there's an FAQ about it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
any distortion pedal going right into a computer is going to sound very fuzzy, an amp colors your guitar tone with its own spice, and when a pedal is combined with that it is working as intended and produces a tone the pedal is famous for. going directly into your soundcards input is producing a dry flat-eq'd signal which will sound bad, and even worse with a distortion pedal. you need at least a modelling amp to use with the soundcard, or Mic an amp into it(preferably using a mixer or a USB audio device.)
Quote by slickerthnsleek
I'm surprised you didn't blow your sound card to pieces.

Doesn't hurt mine at all. Some people seem to think it will, but I've never heard of it happening...
I work in a computer store, it works for some people, but I've had at least 5 computers come in where the owner has blown the sound card because they've tried to run a guitar & pedal through it.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
I work in a computer store, it works for some people, but I've had at least 5 computers come in where the owner has blown the sound card because they've tried to run a guitar & pedal through it.

Hmmmm Scary.... I don't have any pedals. Is it just the pedals?
I can't remember if we've had any that blew with just a guitar going through them... the ones that come to mind straight away had distortion pedals plugged into them... and one had a whammy pedal.
I see I see. I run my G-Dec into my mic port at times. I hope that doesn't hurt anything.