http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBqr113GecU

I have been wordering how to get that crazy sustain he has during the intro

especialy from .19 - .40

thats like a 20second note!

Anyway i was wondering if a Boss CS-3 pedal would work
if i just turned the sustain knob up all the way

can anybody help i wanna play this...

Quote by mattman93
This, atheists talk about religion more then religious people.

Youtube
I believe it's a Fernandes Sustainiac. Although on the album the Edge may have just been getting natural feedback like what Santana does since I dont' know if the sustainer was invented back then.
Quote by CraigKing
A sustainer pedal, vibrato?

yea but it doesnt even sound like he's doing a vibrato

Quote by mattman93
This, atheists talk about religion more then religious people.

Youtube
sounds like an e-bow
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM strat with dimarzio pups
JCM800
Egnater Rebel 30
Takamine Acoustic
tons of pedals
Alexi Laiho uses it with a compressor and then his floyd rose to make a note that can go really high like really long.

It's awesome
ALL HAIL HYPNOTOAD

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Dude, I think I would know, Trivium invented Thrash, Metallica are lucky they got as far as they did piggy-backing off of Trivium's signature style.
I always assumed it was a synthesizer.

Edit: It's a device called the Infinite Guitar. It's like an E-Bow, but according to Edge, better.
Last edited by merfsullivan at Nov 12, 2008,
it was done in a recording studio. nuff said.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Ever heard of the moog guitar? i know this isnt it... but it has infinite sustain
i assume it would be an e-bow but my youtube isn't working so can't really check.
Quote by Jackal58
I only judge people based upon the color of their skin.

Quote by Kilty Boxers
id like to shave my balls, but i always cut myself and when i do my shaver is like om nom nom testicle skin.
This isn't what he's doing but with a hollow bodied guitar, feedback from the amp through the body and back into the pickups could do that. At least that's what happens with my mom's acoustic when it's plugged in. As long as you control the volume so it doesn't get out of hand, you can have infinite sustain.
Quote by G-loony
Alexi Laiho uses it with a compressor and then his floyd rose to make a note that can go really high like really long.

It's awesome

What? A compressor?..
Fernandes sustainer....
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by phobiafreak949
sounds like an e-bow

This.

Why didn't I think of that earlier?

It's more than likely E-Bow since it's got that almost violined sound since it kind of swells up a bit volume wise before it just sustains. Or he could be using this and feedback...I've got no real clue, but if I had to bet, it'd be EBow.
Quote by killerscorpion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBqr113GecU

I have been wordering how to get that crazy sustain he has during the intro

especialy from .19 - .40

thats like a 20second note!

Anyway i was wondering if a Boss CS-3 pedal would work
if i just turned the sustain knob up all the way

can anybody help i wanna play this...

Find a sweet spot on your amp or monitor and stay around that location, you should be able to get the sustain with a little reverb and your CS3.

Satriani does some great sustain work, check him out.

Keep in mind that audio isnt simply a studio recording done for the video...so you may think you can move around while playing that from seeing it in the video but in reality you have to stay in that spot where your monitor or amp feeds the string to keep it going.

Quote by tubab0y
it was done in a recording studio. nuff said.

True that audio was recorded in the studio but you cant easily create feedback like that and have it sound realistic. Chances are it was done while being recorded...no processing or anything fancy. Sometimes the least amount of work sounds best.
Last edited by moody07747 at Nov 13, 2008,
Quote by AcousticSlayer
A '59 Les Paul. Watch Spinal Tap.

"The sustain, listen to it."
".......I don't hear anything."
".......well, you would, though, if it were playing."
You're*