Page 1 of 3
Ok, there have been threads about music you're embarrassed that you like. Obviously we all instinctively know what some of these bands are. Jonas Brothers, Fall Out Boy, blink-182, Katy Perry, etc. They're all really simple (and "bad") but we all know they're catchy as hell.

But some bands people say they're embarrassed to listen to but there doesn't seem to be a reason for it. (Like My Chemical Romance; come on, some of their guitar parts are pretty ****ing good for pop punk.)

So... can anyone say what the criteria is for a band to be embarrassing to listen to?
Quote by Trowzaa
I immediately clenched my butthole after reading that...
Quote by CoreysMonster
listen to whatever the hell you want, who gives a rats ass what people think?

+999

EXACTLY. That's what I think. But I'm posing this question to the people who are embarrassed to admit they listen to certain bands.
Quote by Trowzaa
its called trends or peer pressure.

and i like blink 182, listaning to them right now
Quote by iantheman
I laughed at someone for breaking his g-string, and got sigged

Quote by Veil Of Osiris

You just made me spit out my Kool-Aid all over my keyboard.

sorry
they don't want to get verbally raped by the pit
To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true.

Quote by CoreysMonster

+1 to this dude. I gave up caring what people think of my music tastes a long time ago and am now proud to say that I regularly listen to Imogen Heap and Frou Frou.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by CoreysMonster

There's no problem with them. The problem is their fans who are usually try hards and/or 12 year old girls/people who dress like 12 year old girls.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
One of my favorite bands is The All American Rejects! I'm saying it loud and proud!
Quote by NGD1313
Yes, my mom walked in on me getting my carrot skinned.

So I freaked out and flipped the vegetable tray.

There was ranch everywhere.

Quote by zwound
Win

Quote by __Pent__

^^Too bad I can't do this in real life
Quote by EnyoAdonai
There's no problem with them. The problem is their fans who are usually try hards and/or 12 year old girls/people who dress like 12 year old girls.

That's true. I like My Chem, but I wouldn't see them live because it's always full of obese emo girls.
Quote by Trowzaa
There are people who don't like Blink-182???

I like that Katy Perry song about kissing a girl, it's funny.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
i love lamb of god to death....and everyone here seems to flame me but i dont give a damn

on school dont even get me started, people consider MCR heavy metal so guess what they say on how they act when exposed to meshuggah
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
I would say things like the wiggles, spice girls etc are pretty embarassing to like...

At my school, people reckon that liking Metallica like hardcore liking them is pretty embarasing so i supose that it just depends on the main genre that is liked in the area you live

For me I am never embarrased by the music that I like because I really don't give a ....hahahahhahah. As long as it good I like it...and usually other peeps seem to catch on lol.
Quote by wesleyisgay
its called trends or peer pressure.

and i like blink 182, listaning to them right now

Queer.

I kid I kid....

Because, people like to insult others.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Well, whenever my dad used to walk into the room the Russian National Anthem always used to play, it was weird and I felt quite awkward.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by AStrangleHold
One of my favorite bands is The All American Rejects! I'm saying it loud and proud!

im proud of you :P

see the main trend of music on ug right now is agisnt them, so most pepole would be like GTFO. But some pepole are not afreid to admit this! its a simple system ts.

and astranglehold you better not be joking or this post will be a failure -.-
Quote by iantheman

Quote by Veil Of Osiris

sorry
Quote by vartanspartan
Ok, there have been threads about music you're embarrassed that you like. Obviously we all instinctively know what some of these bands are. Jonas Brothers, Fall Out Boy, blink-182, Katy Perry, etc. They're all really simple (and "bad") but we all know they're catchy as hell.

But some bands people say they're embarrassed to listen to but there doesn't seem to be a reason for it. (Like My Chemical Romance; come on, some of their guitar parts are pretty ****ing good for pop punk.)

So... can anyone say what the criteria is for a band to be embarrassing to listen to?

MCR =/= pop punk.

And my guess is that some people don't want to be laughed at for what music they like, so some of it, they hide. Ya know, the weird or out-of-place stuff.
I felt like video game music and classical music was embarrassing to listen to. I just began to not give a shit and listen to it anyways.

The answer:

Not give a shit. You're missing out on some great music.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Quote by wesleyisgay
im proud of you :P

see the main trend of music on ug right now is agisnt them, so most pepole would be like GTFO. But some pepole are not afreid to admit this! its a simple system ts.

and astranglehold you better not be joking or this post will be a failure -.-

I'm not even kidding man I love them. My favorite song by them is Dance Inside.
Quote by NGD1313
Yes, my mom walked in on me getting my carrot skinned.

So I freaked out and flipped the vegetable tray.

There was ranch everywhere.

Quote by zwound
Win

Quote by __Pent__

^^Too bad I can't do this in real life
Its not that hard to figure out. My Chemical Romance, FoB, all those ****ers are simply rejected by the majority of guitar players. So why would anyone want to waste time on a band that many guitar players hate? It seems like good logic, but its just false reasoning.

It happens all the time, if you've gone thru middle school or high school you should know exactly what I'm talking about
I want to work in revelations, not just spin silly tales for money.I want to fish as deep down as possible into my own subconscious in the belief that once that far down, everyone will understand because they are the same that far down.
Quote by AStrangleHold

dude, that's such a good song although I have to admit, most of their others I have grown tired of and I'm not too anxious for their new album.

but I'm stickin with the main trend that you shouldn't care at all what other people think. there's a reason you like the songs you like and that reason is not "because other people like it" blah blah blah.

have your own opinion and don't be embarrassed to listen to something when someone else doesn't.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
I have Avril Lavigne, Katy Perry, Right Said Fred, Savage Garden, Michael Jackson, Blondie, etc on my iPod.

At the same time, I have the bands I primarily listen to, like Sex Pistols, Shinedown, Nirvana, Seether, Sublime, RATM, etc.

I enjoy blasting the "embarassing" music and singing along with it as loud as possible too...
Quote by Ylasto
R.I.P Ean.

Are there any other members of Lynyrd Skynyrd who are dead?
Quote by AStrangleHold

kickass. that's one of the few songs i don't have. downloading now i gotta say i love change your mind
Quote by iantheman

Quote by Veil Of Osiris

sorry
I listen to MCR because I like them, but I don't openly shout it from the rooftops for the fact that the majority of guitarists who are closed minded elitist pricks will lump me into a stereotype that I feel is misrepresentative of me, my abilities and my personality. That is, I'd say 'MCR' and they'd go 'clueless emo chick who knows nothing about music' instead of considering the different, more reputable - if you will - bands that I listen to including Metallica, Dream Theater and the like.
It's elitism. I love My Chemical Romance, Blink-182, Paramore (OK mostly because Hyaley Williams is damn hot) but I'm not ashamed of it. My MCR patch sits proudly with my Nirvana, Alter Bridge and Dio patches.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Because it sucks or is made for little girls (Jonas Brothers, Hannah Montana, etc.)
There ain't no moral to this story at all. Anything I tell you very well could be a lie.
Ha, just go to my profile and look at the bands listed there. Flame material and I don't give a shit. I am a proud Nickelback fan, newer A7X fan (hate their screaming stuff), Green Day fan, staind fan, and so on. I really don't care what the pit thinks. It is the kind of music I play and want to continue playing not only because its what pleases me and I feel is more thought out lyrically and sonically, but because its where the money is. I mean Nickelback's last album went 10x platinum, I think, worldwide; 7x I believe here in the US.
i think some music is embarrassing because people are afraid that the music they like is so different that others can't possibly understand. no one wants to be judged. it seems silly but is true.
[font="Arial Blackeat my asshole... far more tasteful than kissing someone's ass[/FONT"]
Quote by CoreysMonster

i do this, though it's easy because i'm eclectic.

but yeah, i'll listen to everything named thus far. i even listen to Christian bands though i'm agnostic (but i grew up a Christian listening to Christian Rcok)

idk. when people tell me a band i like sucks, i either say "f-you, i'll listen to what i want" or "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"
Because nobody's secure enough in themselves to admit all they shit they listen to.

[/thread]
You're*
personally along with my nevermore and meshuggah i like a bit of japanese pop music thrown in. probably because nobody you know really likes it and it's for some reason it's considered uncool. my school is entirely composed of nut jobs like me though so there's really no "normal" or "cool" or really any fads.

take, for example, the guy who walks around with iron maiden shirts and long hair also sings opera, and very well i might add. then there's the guy who swears that german pop music is awesome but also enjoys technical death metal and flamenco music. maybe the really moke girl who always talks in pidgin and loves slipknot.

everyone has their quirky little interests, musical or otherwise. deal with them.
.|......|....|
=--
.............|

an unsaturated fattylolcid.
Quote by Survivalism
Because nobody's secure enough in themselves to admit all they shit they listen to.

[/thread]

That's not true.

Well, at least not always.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
I enjoy

New AFI
The Almost
Avenged Sevenfold
Bullet For My Valentine
Cobra Starship
Green Day
Jack Johnson
The Medic Droid
Metro Station
My Chemical Romance
Paramore
Plain White Tees
Swingset Acrobat
Sonny Moore and From First to Last
The Used
We the Kings
3OH!3

List that a normal person would be ashamed of.
Well I'm not, dammit
Page 1 of 3