hey, i'm not a noob but i have 2 questions...

first, does a guitar require setting up before making the switch from 9's to 10's?
my friend says yes due to the tension the guitar neck was used to and stuff, but my dad says it's such a minimal change that it won't matter and won't hurt the guitar, and the guitar doesn't need setting up when changing the guage of strings from 9's to 10's.

second. is it good/bad/ok to store a guitar without strings?
i don't plan on doing this, but i was restringing my guitar and i was putting on fretboard cleaner and polish and things so i didn't have my strings on my guitar for an hour or so while the stuff dried. my dad said it's bad for the neck to not have tension on it. is this true, or is it fine for a guitar to have strings taken off of it for say, a few days/weeks?
i don't think having strings off for an hour would make such a difference.

thanks
your dad's right about both things, to a degree on the second; it won't kill your guitar to be stored without tension.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
On the first thing: A change of that much probably won't make that much difference but if you're unsure then have it set up anyway, it certainly can't hurt.

Number two: It's not bad for your guitar to be de-strung while cleaning and all that kind of thing but if you're storing it for more than a few days you should leave it strung, more than a few days and you run the risk of the neck warping.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Try not to leave it unstrung for more than 24 hours. nothing particularly bad will happen, just a rule i go by.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
I tend to take the strings off, clean it up and put new one's straight on, if I'm not going to use it for a while then I leave the old strings on and change them later. An hour or so wouldn't matter.

As for the 9's to 10's, I switch between them regularly and there hasn't been a problem.
Quote by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for Half My Kingdom.
Quote by dbl93100
hey, i'm not a noob but i have 2 questions...

first, does a guitar require setting up before making the switch from 9's to 10's?
my friend says yes due to the tension the guitar neck was used to and stuff, but my dad says it's such a minimal change that it won't matter and won't hurt the guitar, and the guitar doesn't need setting up when changing the guage of strings from 9's to 10's.
the increase in string tension will be small, but definite when going from 9's to 10's.

give it a day for the neck to react to the increased tension, then check the relief.
if necessary, increase the tension on the trussrod to compensate for the increased relief.

Quote by dbl93100
second. is it good/bad/ok to store a guitar without strings?
i don't plan on doing this, but i was restringing my guitar and i was putting on fretboard cleaner and polish and things so i didn't have my strings on my guitar for an hour or so while the stuff dried. my dad said it's bad for the neck to not have tension on it. is this true, or is it fine for a guitar to have strings taken off of it for say, a few days/weeks?
i don't think having strings off for an hour would make such a difference.

thanks
i'd avoid leaving strings off for an extended period of time.
the tension of the trussrod balances with the tension of the strings.
this minimizes relief on the fretboard.
without tension of the strings, the tension of the trussrod will cause the neck to bow backward. putting new strings on will gradually bend the neck forward again. but why put the neck through those changes unnecessarily?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
There's nothing I can't tell you that hasn't been said. I only intend to interject with something I heard about a fella who was "debunking" the myth of storing a guitar without strings, claiming he had his axe in the attic with no strings for many years. He pulled it down, restrung it and said it could very well play better than it had before hand.

I wouldn't expect catastrophe.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."