How much of a downgrade would it be to go from my Hellraiser to an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst if I added a Seymour Duncan JB to the bridge and somethin else to the neck?

I know the face of the epi is alder which worries me, but all I have heard about them is good things. The FR on my hellraiser goes unused most of the time and makes switching tunings difficult. Plus the EMG's just don't cut it for any respectable clean sound through my Valvetronix. I need a more versatile guitar (my tribute to adam jones)

If it is a good switch, what upgrade other than pickups could I slap on it for under $200?
Agile AL-3100 Rootbeer Wide w/SD SH-15 in bridge
Washburn X10 -cheap
Ibanez GIO -cheaper
Peavey XXX Super 40 112
Vox VT15
Last edited by grizzlyadams at Nov 12, 2008,
Those play great! and if you like Tool (Im assuming) you will love it...thats the next LP I wanna get as I am a huge adam jones fan myself!

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
So you don't think it will be a sizeable downgrade? I don't want to step into something barely above my GIO.
Washburn X10 -cheap
Ibanez GIO -cheaper
Peavey XXX Super 40 112
Vox VT15
its a step down but not in a significant way - its a very different guitar then what you have so it really depends on your taste. I would take it in a heartbeat

ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
I love my Epiphone Standard :< With a Vox (and the standard factory pickups or w/e)

And i've played a hellraiser
Well my friend, i hear you about the floyd rose thing! I dont own and wont buy a guitar with a trem. I own both a hellraiser and a epi les paul standard. I wouldnt consider it much of a downgrade. Why would you care if others think it is a downgrade? if it suits your taste better, and its what you want to play then get it! If you like it, its a good guitar, if you dont like it, its a bad guitar.
I don't care what others think about it being an upgrade or not, I care whether or not this thing will have the quality behind it that my schecter did.
Washburn X10 -cheap
Ibanez GIO -cheaper
Peavey XXX Super 40 112
Vox VT15
I would say you should go play one for a while...thats the only real way to find out....but I would highly recommend it. Its quite different from what you have in terms of feel, and in terms of quality thats a matter of opinion - but again I wouldn't say its a real downgrade overall

ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Quote by grizzlyadams
I don't care what others think about it. I care whether or not this thing will have the quality behind it that my schecter did.

Then why are you asking for peoples opinion?
Quote by grizzlyadams
I don't care what others think about it. I care whether or not this thing will have the quality behind it that my schecter did.

Well i wouldnt sell the schecter to buy the epi. If thats what you are thinking of doing. Just keep the Schecter and save up for the epi. Is the trem the only thing you dont like about the Schecter?
No, I don't like the fact that I have to crank everything down to get a clean sound with the EMG's. It doesn't play as nice as some of the guitars I have tried out lately. I am selling the hellraiser and a case on craigslist right now.

How does this sound for a plan?
- Replace Epi pickups with SH-4 JB in Bridge and Pearly Gates or SH-2 Jazz in the Neck
- Buy locking tuners
- replace the string nut at the headstock (I hear it causes issues)
Washburn X10 -cheap
Ibanez GIO -cheaper
Peavey XXX Super 40 112
Vox VT15
Well ive never had to replace anything on my epi les paul standard. it stays in tune for a week with the stock grover tuners. And i still have the stock pups in. They sound fine for what i use the guitar for. I wouldnt even replace the nut until it gives you a problem. I dont know its all personal preference. I love my hellraiser, but i got the one with the string through body. I hate whammy bar gymnastics!
$725 obo, comes with a $120 Hardshell Gator case
Washburn X10 -cheap
Ibanez GIO -cheaper
Peavey XXX Super 40 112
Vox VT15
I would keep the Schecter myself. I like the Epi line but would never downgrade. I have played a few Schecter Hellraisers and I love them. If your not happy with the Floyd block it but you don't care for the EMGs so it's your decision. I still would keep it though.
if you like the schecter except the trem and pickups

get a hardtail c-1 blackjack
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Thats the answer! Block your trem, and change the pups in your hellraiser. The hellraiser is a better guitar than the epi les paul in my opinion. And with all the money and time you save, You can start saving for a gibson Les Paul.
how hard would it be to switch out my active pickups for passives If I decide to go that route?
Washburn X10 -cheap
Ibanez GIO -cheaper
Peavey XXX Super 40 112
Vox VT15
Last edited by grizzlyadams at Nov 13, 2008,
Or should I just stick it out and exchange the EMG 85 for an EMG 60 for better cleans. I am so tempted to switch to passives because I hear they sound better with the valvetronix amps
Washburn X10 -cheap
Ibanez GIO -cheaper
Peavey XXX Super 40 112
Vox VT15
I dont know how hard it would be. Everytime i have ever changed pickups i have had a tech do it. And thats what i suggest you do as well.