1.i'm deciding if i should slowly collect pedals or save up for a multi effect unit..... good thing about stompboxes is that you can have different brands of each pedal and you can arrange the order, but it costs more.... multi-effect is cheaper for all it has, but they are all same brand effects. What should I choose? I have a ds-1 pedal and i might sell it if i get a multi effect, but if i get stompboxes i'll get crybaby wah..( or vox wah. which is better?)
2. since i already have distortion pedal, what should i get next? I was thinking a wah wah pedal. I play alternative and christian rock(mostly Hillsong United), and in many songs(Hillsong) they use a wah pedal.. should i get something else, like chorus or delay?
3. wat do you think of my dis. pedal?
Vox > Crybaby, but it depends what you play, and what your willing to spend. the 535Q crybaby has very good reviews.

Stompboxes will always have better tone then ME's...that's why they cost more!
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"
to be honest with you i would suggest you accumulate pedals one by one, that way you can find the exact type of effects pedal you want for each effect. no two diff brands of effects pedals sound the same. i have found with one of those one pedal does all set-ups the effects are nice, but not overly adjustable and they dont have any signature tones in my opinion. dont get me wrong they do the job, but i myself would prefer to have each pedal all its own so that i can make sure they are exactly what i am looking for out of that effect, with no compromise.

mike
AGILE PS970/4000 (one off custom) :: JACKSON DKMGT :: DEAN SOLTERO
MESA Dual Rec (2CH) :: (2) AVATAR 2X12 cabs w/ celestions

BUGERA 6262 FOR SALE !!!
stompboxes for sure. MEs tend to be overly complicated and even the ones that arent that bad are still a hassle. plus you can choose the exact pedals and sounds that fit you. you can chose quality or quantity.
well the new ME pedals allow you to tweak your tone like crazy, but. If you only need like 3 effects don't get a ME just get them one by one. Find out what you want then compare cost.
My Gear:
Epiphone Classic Les Paul
Ibanez JS1000 w/ Seymour Duncan Jazz and Pearly Gates
Alverez Acoustic
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss GT-8

Add Me?
As everyone else has said, stompboxes are the way to go in most cases, they sound better through an amp for the most part.
And as for the DS-1, it's okay in an SS amp, but mine sounds like pure mud and fizz now that i have a decent tube.
But if it works for you, then its fine

╠═══════╬═══════╣

ENDLESS FEEDBACK MANIPULATOR σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Seperate stompboxes, that's how I'm doing it, I only have two so far tho :P
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
I started out with a multi-effect processor and I sort of regret owning it (see sig lol). I've slowly converted to a whopping 11 stompboxes now. I bought a bunch of craigslist.com (3 from one guy before a concert, 1 from another guy, one on ebay, most recent was in a guitar store). Only problem though is lack of current which is killing my tone at the moment. I've temporarily resolved that problem by taking the delay and chorus pedals out (as well as the multi-effect) because they were sucking up too much mA in my rig. And there are some really crazy effects that I don't think you can find in effect processors that you might want to check out depending on what styles of music you play. If you just play metal then you'll probably want a nice distortion pedal.
My Gear:
Gibson ES-335 (Dot)
ESP LTD MH-100QMNT
Spider III 75W
Digitech Whammy Pedal
Crybaby Wah
Epi Valve Junior Half stack
DS-1
Line 6 Floor Pod (FOR SALE!!!)
i have about 13 stomps and 2 multifxs. they gather dust most of the time. highly recommend the zoom g9 it its the best budget multi for tone (its got tubes)
Quote by ratzgame
If you just play metal then you'll probably want a nice distortion pedal.

But he's playing christian rock...not metal.

Regardless, I agree. Stompboxes infinitely trump ME's. I started with a Digitech GNX2 and have regretted it since. The sound quality definitely doesn't make up for the added complexity, and nothing beats picking and choosing each individual part of your tone.

The DS-1 is a pretty nice pedal (arguably the most popular of all time), though most prefer to mod theirs. You'll want to check the Gear Building & Customizing forum for that.
should i upgrade my ds-1 to something later on, like a better boss or a tube screamer? whats the difference between TS9 and TS808? I saw something called TS9DX(Turbo), what is the solo for?(I also saw Turbo Distortion in boss too) What distortion pedals are good? And whats the difference between the Vox and the Dunlop Wah Wah? and I should get Wah Wah next right?
As for wahs, I own a Vox Clyde McCoy, Crybaby, and a Steve Vai Bad Horsie 2--I personally would pick the Vox, but you should always try stuff out at the store before you buy if you can.

I have a Digitech RP7 floor processor that has a tube and I love it, but I mainly use it for coming up with new ideas and stuff like that...so basically I would go with individual pedals--for example, in my chain I have a Big Muff Pi and an MXR Phase 90, both of which have unique sounds that I can't get on my processor--the various fuzz and phase settings just don't have the same magic as the pedals.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
i play hillsong united myself. and i would get a delay. like the song "the time has come" the intro has a delay. and i few other songs by them have delay. and a few of there songs have the wah. so thats what i would get.
Another thing I want to add, you might want to look into a good noise gate and eq at some point--they definately make your sound a whole lot better, especially if you have a lot of gain.

I personally wouldn't dream of playing without my gate and eq.
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
Not to hijack his thread or anything,

But is danelectro or whatever fish n' chips a good eq pedal? it looks like a "simon says" toy so i'm iffy about buying one =\
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
What im doing, is getting a pocket pod, for effect testing and headphone amp. I inted to eventually get an OD pedal, and maybe a good wah pedal.
Gibson Les Paul Special Faded with Evo bridge and PAF Joe neck. Mesa Boogie Rect-o-verb.
Quote by rokknrollldude
wrathlegion, i would like to shake hands

Quote by AllUrBase
I assume you're playing just open strings, so not to scratch your frets.
Quote by DaddyBarbs
Not to hijack his thread or anything,

But is danelectro or whatever fish n' chips a good eq pedal? it looks like a "simon says" toy so i'm iffy about buying one =\

I used to play with a couple Danelectro pedals and they're not as bad as people make them out to be, especially for how inexpensive they are...they're definately not built to be abused, though, with the plastic casing and everything.
I use a Boss EQ, so of course I'm gonna say look into that if you have the money, but if you're on a budget and need an EQ, then by all means look into the Fish and Chips.
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
what's the point of eq pedals? don't we have eq in the amp? How could we make sound smoother with eq?
Quote by hatooku
what's the point of eq pedals? don't we have eq in the amp? How could we make sound smoother with eq?

With an amp you generally get only 3 bands--bass, mids, and treble.
With an eq you get more bands, therefore, you can tailor your sound with a lot more freedom and precision.
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
Quote by hatooku
So how do you know how to adjust the eq?

You use your ears...you listen and adjust/tweak the bands until it sounds good to you.
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
Quote by Sleaze Disease
You use your ears...you listen and adjust/tweak the bands until it sounds good to you.

i might also get that eq pedal. but when i do it would i put it before my sd-1 or after. and does eq make your sound less muddy.
Quote by Redsox4ever5955
i might also get that eq pedal. but when i do it would i put it before my sd-1 or after. and does eq make your sound less muddy.

I personally would put it before, that way it EQs your guitar's raw output (I put mine first in my chain, and my fuzz is second to last with 2 pedals in between), but you should try out both positions to see what sounds better to you and no it doesn't make it muddy.
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
Quote by Sleaze Disease
I personally would put it before, that way it EQs your guitar's raw output (I put mine first in my chain, and my fuzz is second to last with 2 pedals in between), but you should try out both positions to see what sounds better to you and no it doesn't make it muddy.

ok but i was meaning i have have eipi les paul. and the standard pups are muddy sounding. will the eq help to make it sound better. or what does the eq do for me.
Quote by Redsox4ever5955
ok but i was meaning i have have eipi les paul. and the standard pups are muddy sounding. will the eq help to make it sound better. or what does the eq do for me.

Theoretically, yes.
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
Quote by Sleaze Disease
Theoretically, yes.

ok cool, i think i am going to buy one. and do u think the Danelectro compressor pedal is good. or should i save and get the boss or my mxr?
And what do you do to ur amp eq when u have an eq pedal?set it to 0?

And also, what is a good eq pedal?

I heard the mxr ten band eq is pretty good, and it also has volume and gain...
What's the point of having a distortion pedal if you can adjust gain on the eq pedal?
Last edited by hatooku at Nov 15, 2008,