My guitar makes this humming noise that stops only when the strings are touched, it's a Fender Squire Stratocaster. I was told to "shield" my guitar. How do I go about doing this? Your help will be appreciated.
Quote by Guitar Skater

beat me to it
Quote by vintage x metal
My toilet has seen some scenes that one would describe as 'deathcore'
Quote by masterquest
My guitar makes this humming noise that stops only when the strings are touched, it's a Squier Stratocaster. I was told to "shield" my guitar. How do I go about doing this? Your help will be appreciated.

fixed
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by masterquest
My guitar makes this humming noise that stops only when the strings are touched, it's a Fender Squire Stratocaster. I was told to "shield" my guitar. How do I go about doing this? Your help will be appreciated.

your guitar needs grounding. one of your ground wires isnt attached correctly.

in addition if you would like to foil line the guitar pickup cavity.
then buy the self adhesive foil from stewmac. and cover the whole cavity, including the back of the guard, overlap the foil and run a little extra to a guard screw to ground it all.

for more info repost, and i wont offer up a stupid post like some others might.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
We its because its a low end guitar. You can try taking tin foil and folding it 3 times and place it in the pickup wireing area.
Like Jenny said, it's a ground wire. Check the wire that grounds to the tremolo claw plate in the back cavity, that would be the most obvious one that could be loose.
http://www.higgydude.com/pickup-cavities/63-tele-pickup-cavities.asp

that's a telecaster, but you can see how the cavity gets lined with foil, and how he uses a screw hole from the jack to help ground it.

with a strat, you would take the pups off the guard and line that too.

i know is sounds like a huge task, but if you know how to set up a guitar, it'll only take about 20 mins of work.

http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/electrics.html

start pics^

yeah you can solder wires to the foil and help ground it, like stewmac, or guitar nuts suggests, but just covering with foil should help.

you have a loose ground wire somewhere.
so also check that the wire in the trem cavity is attached to metal.
if it is then check that both wires are connected to the output jack.

if you cant find the wire, then when you have the guitar open check that the grounds are attached.

Quote by King of King V
We its because its a low end guitar. You can try taking tin foil and folding it 3 times and place it in the pickup wireing area.

ground wires can come off of any guitar. sure a starter-intermediate level guitar wont be as well put together, but i've got a lot of guitars and any guitar can develop a grounding problem.

also, you need to use adhesive and overlap, not toss some in the pup cavity.

^
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Nov 14, 2008,