i need some ideas what to learn next because i want to write songs but i have troulble writing the music not the lyrics. I can play Pretty much all of jack johnsons songs and thats the kind of music i want to write. I know my scales and notes so i just need advice on how to advance.
Quote by LeftyDave
Do they still make "Scratch-n-sniff" stickers? That'd be kewl, and if you get bored with playing, you can just smell your guitar. lol
Influences are all fine and good...we all learn stuff from our favorites and this becomes part of our playing style.

However, when it comes to writing original music, just listen to yourself...you're not writing Jack Johnson music, you're writing zman music...has nothing to do with Jack Johnson or Eric Clapton or anyone else.
but should i learn more than the basic theory or just start writing
Quote by LeftyDave
Do they still make "Scratch-n-sniff" stickers? That'd be kewl, and if you get bored with playing, you can just smell your guitar. lol
Apply the theory you do know and the sounds you like (I don't mean an artist's style, just whatever chords and scales call out to you) to dabble in creating riffs, solos, etc. When something in particular catches your ears, expand on it.

As for Jack Johnson, he uses a good bit of articulation (hammer-ons, pull-offs, etc.) that you might like to have. Lots of open chords & barre chords. There's nothing wrong with learning from your musical influences-- if it helps you build your own sound.
Last edited by LookAlive at Nov 13, 2008,
Hum a tune in you head and experiment with it using you knowledge of music theory or mess around with you guitar and eventually you'll come across something you like. The music you listen to or play with influence you a lot, people should not really be able to tell where you got them from.