ok i own two basses one with a high action one with a low, i absolutely despise the high action (plus i hate the bass in general so im trying to sell it). I know some people are bound to like them or they wouldnt make them so what are the pros and cons of a high action?
Quote by slap-a-bass
nothings good about high...i can't think of one thing

noone will buy it unless its nto noticible

You can play harder without getting buzz? It has a different tone?
Quote by Metalfreak777
Dude if i were you i'd look more at bands like Dragonforce, Dragonland, Dream Theatre and Power Quest, most of their songs are either in E major, A major, C major or D majhor

Quote by dmiwshicldply
ok i own two basses one with a high action one with a low, i absolutely despise the high action (plus i hate the bass in general so im trying to sell it). I know some people are bound to like them or they wouldnt make them so what are the pros and cons of a high action?

You know you can adjust the action at the bridge right (unless it is a really shitty bass)? It's not like you have to leave it at the factory setting. Also, some people like using a higher action for slapping and one plus is that it builds up finger strength. However, I would have to say that a medium to low action is preferable in almost all cases.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
To put it simply, high action can be used for digging in, and slapping...not much else. Fix it.
Nope, no sig here.
setting your action is a balance between playability and sound. sound should be the number one concern with any instrument. have it as low as you can before the tone starts to suffer, either because of buzz or clarity of the note. my friend has one bass set high for when he slaps and he swears by a higher action for slapping as its such an aggressive style.
I believe I read an interview with Anthony Jackson in which he said that high action gave better tone - the difficulty lies in getting a balance of playability and tone.

If you're enough of a tonefreak to hear such a subtle difference in tone, I suggest you set your bass as high as it is playable. Otherwise, set it only high enough so it doesn't buzz.
i know you can adjust the action i havent yet cause i dont ever play the thing. i was just wondering what peoples opinions were
Try adjusting it and see how you like it...you can never have too many basses, and having a bigger variety of tones to pick from is never a bad thing.
Nope, no sig here.
High action is relative, really. I like my action high so when I dig into my instrument, which I tend to in a heavy rock band, I don't get awful clicks on my attack. There's nothing more annoying than Field.. erm, clack, clack, clack. And it's a bitch to record, requires a lot of compression, and will result in the sound man turning you down because you're ruining the mix. So, what are the advantages of low action? Slightly easier to press? Wow, whoopie.

I think 99.9% of complaints against high action, or any action in general, are because necks are not bowed properly. If high action is unplayable, it's because the neck is considerably bowed. High action on a properly bowed neck plays better than low action on a hugely bowed neck.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
High action is relative, really. I like my action high so when I dig into my instrument, which I tend to in a heavy rock band, I don't get awful clicks on my attack. There's nothing more annoying than Field.. erm, clack, clack, clack. And it's a bitch to record, requires a lot of compression, and will result in the sound man turning you down because you're ruining the mix. So, what are the advantages of low action? Slightly easier to press? Wow, whoopie.

I hate those bridges you get on cheap basses where the string slides about when you pluck it, they get my blood up ! you dig in a bit, and the string just flaps about and buzzes...

Back to the subject at hand, If you can play it a bit harder it gives your sound a bit of punch. You can put emphasis on notes, Eg say you're just playing 8th's as rootnotes, instead of going bum-um-um-um-um etc. you can go DUNdunDUNdunDUN etc.
Being ancient and lazy I like a low action, the trouble is that it also makes my playing look easy and none musos then think bass is easy.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
Being ancient and lazy I like a low action, the trouble is that it also makes my playing look easy and none musos then think bass is easy.

Yeah but I mean come on... It's got to be the easiest instrument out there

To TS: If your tone starts to sound like ass when the action is low, try lowering the pickups.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Jonnomainman
Yeah but I mean come on... It's got to be the easiest instrument out there

To TS: If your tone starts to sound like ass when the action is low, try lowering the pickups.

It has only got four strings, looks pretty easy to me.

A high action gives you a massive increase in control over things like dynamics, like others have said though, it's about finding the balance.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!