Alright, so I love the way Frankenstrat looked around the time Van Halen's self-titled debut was released (The black-white non-locking trem "era" ), one of the best looks a strat could have IMO. Anyway, I'm thinking of trying a Frankenstrat clone. Through the magic of eBay and Squiers, I can get all the parts for about as cheap as Eddie got the parts for the real thing. The main thing driving the price is the cost of a Gibson Burstbucker(same pickup Eddie had on it originally, taken from an ES-335) Anyway, I was wondering if it's worth while to do this or if I should just buy a guitar rather than building one?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
I got a prewired pickguard from guitarfetish for mine:

Then I missed my other pickups and put them back in:

I think you should make your own, as long as you don't mind being told that EVH strats are totally played out.
I have an EVH styled Pickup if you need it =o but I'd have to sell it of course.
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Put more than just a bridge pickup in. There's honestly no reason to skimp on the other pickups just because EVH did it.
You should check out the Duncan Evenly Voiced Harmonic pickup or anything like that. The Custom Custom would be good to check out.

By the way, Eddie's pickup was a rewired Dimarzio pickup with an authentic P.A.F. magnet that replaced the Dimarzio magnets. It was wound a little hot.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Well, if you really want his pickup you could buy a pickup from a wolfgang/mm axis on ebay or buy this. In all honesty, you could get a pickup from an ES-335 that was the same year as Eddie's, throw it in your guitar, and it wouldn't sound like eddie. He changed pickups very often and rewound the ES-335 pickup too. Just goes to show you that it was his amp that his tone came from most.
A lot of misconceptions out there regarding his pups. He used plenty of guitars with different pickups of course but in the end it all sounded like Ed. Tone comes from your fingers not your wallet. Now having said all that here's the scoop from various sources including the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop.

The Seymour Duncan Custom Shop '78 model is a representation of how Ed's pickup was back in the day, during VH1 and VH2 albums. The story goes that Seymour himself had access to that exact pickup and thus copied it. Its got uneven coil windings, meaning one coil has more windings then the other among other things which give it its distinct tone. The new Frankenstrat pickup that was linked by Pac_man is made by Duncan also and is a representation of how the Frankie pickup is today! It is a regular floor model pickup, not a Custom Shop and its got a degaussed Alnico 2 magnet (magnets weaken over time) and of course you can get it aged and signed by the endorsement wh0re himself Mr. Van Halen for $350 Now when you order the '78 model its made for you directly, with your name on the box etc etc and so on, can be ordered in trembucker or regular spacing, different colored bobbins, single or four conductor wire and so on. Definitely a better deal and a kick ass pickup. I have it and its clear and has balls to boot.
The other option which some refer to it as Ed's 5150 tone is the Duncan Custom Custom. Personally any vintage type over-wound hotter pup will get you in the ballpark and won't break your bank.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by eyebanez333
Nice job! I have the same amp Check out my frankenstrat (link is in my sig)

... You dug this thread up... why?

And yeah. If you don't mind breaking the bank, Duncan '78 model.
How much would one of those be? Because if I can get it four-conductor and using two bar-magnets for true coil-splitting, I'd probably just get one of those and stick it in the bridge of the strat copy I've been working on repairing and upgrading.

Quote by necrosis1193
How much would one of those be? Because if I can get it four-conductor and using two bar-magnets for true coil-splitting, I'd probably just get one of those and stick it in the bridge of the strat copy I've been working on repairing and upgrading.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/custom-shop/humbuckers/78_model_great/
Ouch, $160 for a pickup...can't quite afford that much right now, any, erm, cheaper alternatives?

^

I know it's a good pickup, but why do Duncan feel the need to put "great" in the URL?

Edit: At DSOTM
Yea I dunno whats up with that great in the url

Its is and isn't a lot for a pickup. Mind you its wound by hand, on order for you personally, on an old machine on purpose, in a custom shop by a person who's very well respected and has been doing it for years. So for $160 I think thats a fair price.
Hmm...fair enough. Only problem is I literally don't have $160 to use right now. ><