who else does music at college?

mine ****ing sucks balls.

Full of people playing piano singing Ronan Keating songs.

With queer hair styles.

Whats your college expericences like?
Gear:

Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Fender Telecaster USA
Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone Sheraton
Jackson KE3 Kelly Pro
Boss Super Chorus
Boss Super Overdrive
MXR Carbon Copy
Morley Pro Series Wah/Volume/Distortion
t.bone wireless system.
It's pretty awesome. In a decent band playing the music i like!

Small writing in the middle of big sig.

Quote by andrew.tran
wat is wrong with people playing piano and singin to ronan keating?

Aside from the fact that its horrifying, I hear that most music colleges are FILLED with singer songwriters like that. I hate the idea of music college, a friend of mine went there, he formed a band with his college friends and the lecturers in the college didn't like the fact that they were a metal band, and it sucked because they were picked last for college gigs, meaning that they didn't get all the credits they could have for playing the college live shows.
I don't really like bands that form in music colleges, you can smell the pretentiousness a mile a way and its very easy to spot a band like that, filled with members who are great at their instruments who don't give a shit about the music and when playing live they usually look like they'd rather be elsewhere....
Quote by ravioli123
James, a type of sandwich:

A sandwich that consists of ham, turkey, roast beef, shredded cheese, nacho cheese doritos, and ranch on a toasted bun.
"Hey man lets go get a couple James's for lunch"
I am going to a technical college. People here are either the classic 'nerd' or they think they are 'gangsta'.

The music here isn't as bad as I thought it is. I heard someone play marilyn manson and was overjoyed but other than that one special guy, it is mostly linkin park and rap here.

I think I am the only one who actually listens to Cradle of Filth here... But what can you do?

This college was a hit or a miss, and I am currently on my third year, and I have come to the conclusion that this college was beyond a miss with me
I'm in college, and I hate it. My parents are paying my way through though, so I figure I'll just save up for a guitar and have a lot of free time to get better.
Hell of a lot better than highschool and probably better than working full time so I can't complain.
St. Mirren F.C
Champions of Renfrewshire Since 2006
SPL Survivors Since 2006
music college is pretty much worthless. good luck trying to get a job after it. The best thing to do my friend is to take "music education" this is usually a k-12 music teacher's major.
Quote by Argonaut
^ Wrong Kensai.

Quote by Sean-Man
I may be a Narcissist, But im the Best Narcissist
I went to college doing Music Technology.

It was good and i learnt a few things but some of the songs made were fookin rediculous!

Its hard when your in a class of 15 people and nobody listens to the same kind of music!
I See Through The Darkness My Way Back Home...
Hell, I'm goin to music college in a year...although at the induction most of the people there seemed to be metal heads, so they hopefully won't mind when I turn up playing mah rock n' roll.
Who does a music degree without learning piano. It's like doing an English degree without learning to spell.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
I go to South Birmingham College.

Doing a BTEC, some of the people in my class are pretty good, but we have a couple who aren't very good AT ALL!

And we only have like 7 people total in my class so...yea.....it sucks....
Its awesome.

I play metal all the time. I have a drummer who is the next Tim Yeung. yay.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Who does a music degree without learning piano. It's like doing an English degree without learning to spell.

What about bass? Guitar? Drums? Flute? Tuba? Clarinet? French horn? Violin?
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Worst comparison evar.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Not everyone in music college is there to get a degree, friend of mine plays drums and he was doing a course on Music Production or something like that. There are plenty of courses not to do with theory at all, such as Recording and whatnot.
I have to agree, that's a pretty horrible comparison. Getting a music degree without learning piano is more like getting an English degree without learning it in a certain accent
Quote by ravioli123
James, a type of sandwich:

A sandwich that consists of ham, turkey, roast beef, shredded cheese, nacho cheese doritos, and ranch on a toasted bun.
"Hey man lets go get a couple James's for lunch"
I annoy my roommates with my guitar playing if that counts

Quote by tands
college blows, highschool ftw

wrong
Quote by seljer
I annoy my roommates with my guitar playing if that counts

wrong

Same here except it's drums with me.
My music class is full of moshers with long hair and black clothes who all like rock music what a bunch of sad-asses, haven't they ever heard of Ronan Keating?!
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
"IT practitioners" which somehow changed to "IT & business" so i spend my day playing COD4 on lan and sitting on youtube, im in class right now
I am, and the music industry wont all be full of people who are into the same stuff as you so its probably best if you learn with people who arnt the same as you, our college class is like that and having a mix of people from diffrent musical tastes is really more realistic to what the music industry will be like and all that.....
" Did You know, in Tibet, if they want something, do you know what they do? They give something away."

"Do they ? That must be why they're such a dominant global power."
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Quote by Sixp0under
Worst comparison evar.

no, this is actually a pretty good analogy. Pretty much ever college will require you to take a secondary instrument, if no piano. But considering that piano and guitar are the only two instruments that can play choral and melody lines its a good one for say a trumpet major to take.

I'm looking to take bass as my secondary instrument, but i still have to take a proficiency exam on piano showing that i can do all the basic skills.

Anyone ever heard of Aural Skills? that has got to be the worst part of being a music major. I really don't need to be able to look at a line of music and be able to sing it on the spot...
Quote by Steve The Plank
Maybe you should just eliminate the idea of being a LEAD guitarist or a RHYTHM guitarist and just come to terms with being a guitarist.

Quote by Mike Huber
I used to steal legos from my friend. He always had the coolest pieces.
I was a French horn performance major at one point, then I realized that I wasn't enjoying it, it was a shitload of work (I took 10 classes first semester and 9 second semester, usual courseload is closer to 5, maybe 6), and it would mean next to nothing upon my graduation. So I switched majors and now I'm doing a double major with computer science and math really enjoying it. That along with the club ultimate team keeps me really busy, but it's tons of fun.
I'm not doing music at school, but I'm doing broadcasting, which includes radio... So I guess my program sort of applies...

One of my best friends goes to Recording Arts College in Toronto.
signatures are budget.
I'm sat here now, in college doing Music Business.
I'm here for 3 years, then I'll do Music A Level. I'll be 21 when I leave.

At the moment it's pretty lame. All people do is pretty much regurgitate shit family guy jokes.. constantly. And shout stupid random noises.

The songs suck dick. They're all 4-basic-chord crap. I haven't come across a song with a lead part yet.

I'm the only student here who likes Blues/Jazz, the rest are pretty much br00tal metal fans, even though my knowledge of metal surpasses a fair majority of theirs. Oh, apart from when there's a teacher playing a blues/jazz piece/song, then all of a sudden everybody's a freaking expert on the stuff.

Oh, and apparently it's not normal to read books. Yeah, college is the cats pajamas.

+, being in Music Performance, BTEC, you get all the retards in this course who just want to get from under their parents feet. There are people here who can't play a freaking barre chord. It's ridiculous.

Roll on university.
Last edited by Kyle.E at Nov 13, 2008,
My college is all acoustic guitar players who all play with capos and write "deep/meaningful/artistic" lyrics. There are times when I like it, and there are times when I can't stand it.
University of Northern Colorado have a good jazz and classical music program. Too bad most of the time when I have to listen to people play, they bored the crap out of me. Don't see many original bands here either and if I do they're usually emo bands or acoustic players.