Currently I have a Squier SE Special Strat and a Squier SP-10 amp.

I am looking to upgrade at Christmas and get either a VOX AD15VT Amp or Epiphone SG-G310 Guitar.

The G310 is $300 and the VOX AD15VT is 390 with a pedal. I can only get 1 but I will eventually save up for the other.

Which one should I get?
Amp first.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
If you think the feel of your guitar is hampering your playing, get the guitar. If you don't like your tone, get the amp.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
I don't really like the strat style and I prefer playing SGs. I only got the strat package because I knew nothing about guitars and it was my first.

EDIT: If I got the SG what would be the best strings to get and how much do Gibson pickups cost.
Last edited by random_B-RAD at Nov 13, 2008,
I wouldn't get the Vox if I was you.
Quote by random_B-RAD
I don't really like the strat style and I prefer playing SGs. I only got the strat package because I knew nothing about guitars and it was my first.

EDIT: If I got the SG what would be the best strings to get and how much do Gibson pickups cost.

Don't get Gibson pups.
I looked at Gibson P90 pickups but 250 dollars seams a waste. It is almost the same amount as the guitar.

What are some good pickups to get, I heard the G310 pickups are really bad.
Quote by random_B-RAD
I looked at Gibson P90 pickups but 250 dollars seams a waste. It is almost the same amount as the guitar.

What are some good pickups to get, I heard the G310 pickups are really bad.

Use the money you would have spent on pick-ups and buy a g-400.
Pickups were something extra I was going to get as extra. I'm not sure If I will be able to get them. But If I am allowed to get a bit extra I will get the G400.
I say get the amp first... Remember, amps are the greatest factor in tone, pickups/wood/etc make up the last 10% or so.

G400 >> G310. If you can afford the extra cost, do it.

And yes, Epiphones for the most part (the cheaper ones anyway, I've never really looked at the top of the range ones) do have pretty bad pickups, so if you're looking for a great tone you'll need to replace them.
Quote by Horlicks
I wouldn't get the Vox if I was you.

Don't get Gibson pups.

dude, why the f not? they're some of the best pups
Quote by trashbeast

Emg's and SD are better and Gisbons cost twice as much.
I decided to get a Guitar.

Should I get a G400 with new gibson strings or should I get the G310 with custom pickups and new strings.
Quote by random_B-RAD
I decided to get a Guitar.

Should I get a G400 with new Gibson strings or should I get the G310 with custom pickups and new strings.

I say the G-400 and not Gibson Strings cuse Gibson Strings dont have not personality like Elixers, Ernie Ball's or D'Addario but seriously why not the amp the amp is way better then the guitar remember Wal-mart guitar and Vox AC30 is better then Wal-mart Amp and Gibson Les Paul Custom to everything you like

Wal-mart guitar and Vox AC30 = Sound
Wal-mart Amp and Gibson Les Paul Custom = sound
Fender Telecaster
Squire Vintage Modified '70s bass
Quote by Felttoaster
I say the G-400 and not Gibson Strings cuse Gibson Strings dont have not personality like Elixers, Ernie Ball's or D'Addario but seriously why not the amp the amp is way better then the guitar remember Wal-mart guitar and Vox AC30 is better then Wal-mart Amp and Gibson Les Paul Custom to everything you like

Wal-mart guitar and Vox AC30 = Sound
Wal-mart Amp and Gibson Les Paul Custom = sound

I totally agree with the wal-mart theory. Can you try your guitar on a friends amp or take it to a shop and "test" their amps to see the difference? It's worth a shot.
Last edited by cranium2001 at Nov 13, 2008,
If I get AD15VT I will have about another 100 dollars to spend. Should I get an AD30VT or get some upgrades on my guitar.

What upgrades are good? I was thinking some new strings and pickguard (so it looks cool ) and some picks that don't gradually go sharp and put ground up pick on your pickups.
Quote by random_B-RAD
If I get AD15VT I will have about another 100 dollars to spend. Should I get an AD30VT or get some upgrades on my guitar.

What upgrades are good? I was thinking some new strings and pickguard (so it looks cool ) and some picks that don't gradually go sharp and put ground up pick on your pickups.

I would probably go for the bigger amp myself. 30 watts in a modeling amp(or any amp) would be better. Strings and picks are pretty cheap. As far as a pickguard goes you could definitely sacrifice that for more amplifier.
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
Emg's and SD are better and Gisbons cost twice as much.

Not everyone plays metal, and IMO I dont like active pups.
Since this guy is on a budget and asking about pickups, Has anyone had any experience with the pickups GUITARFETISH.com sells? Ive read great reviews on them. And the price is right. But im just not sure about them.

And, i would go amp first. But i guess it really just depends what you want and think you need more since you are planning on upgrading both anyways. In my opinion i would stay away from modeling amps, ive just never heard one that sounds quite right. I hate that digital sound. But its just my opinion, apparently some people actually do like it. But i am 39 years old, im from the old school. I've been playing since i was 13. And VOX does make nice amps, i do have one. But its not a modeling amp.
Last edited by IPlaySchecter at Nov 15, 2008,
Quote by trashbeast

No, they're not.

Quote by GuitarMusic4894
Not everyone plays metal, and IMO I dont like active pups.

SD does passives, if you didn't know it. Awesome passives.
ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by DespisedIcon at Nov 15, 2008,