Im looking for books to teach myself guitar. Im wanting to learn the fundamentals and theory of guitar before I move into more advanced things but if those are in the book then thats even better. Im into metal but wanna learn the basics first. If you have any suggestions then let me know im looking for one formatted for maybe a week by week thing as in it will teach me one thing, I work on it for a week then i move on to the next subject. Let me know. Thanks.
Last edited by Shazda at Nov 13, 2008,
It'll generally take more then a week for you to have somthing down solid. A guitar book isn't somthing you want to completely digest and throw away in a month or two, it's a lesson/practice guide and a reference you can use for years.

That said, depending on how much you already have under your belt, there are a few options open to you. If you're just starting out or have less then a year going for you, try the Mel Bay or Hal Leonard book 1 and move up from there. If you already have a bit of playing under your belt and want to really delve into theory, I highly suggest Matt Smith's chop shop. It's a great book that goes in depth into major scales, pentatonics, chord construction, alternate tunings, slide guitar, and a whole lot more. I've had it for a couple years now and I'm constantly finding new things to learn and it makes for an excellent scale and theory reference.

Hope that helps!
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play