Page 1 of 3
Just came back from Subway

Bit extreme way of making money, but, Charging 20p to now "toast" your sub which use to be free =O. Tisk.

All though its not allot, the staff seemed embaresed with it lol.
Wait they're charging to toast it now?!
Like it wasn't expensive enough in the first place!!!

I love subway but seriously...
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
It might only be some branches though, but, i've heard other people mention it too.
Dude that's lame. I love Subway, but I don't want to have to pay to toast my sub. That should be free.
sig goes here
It's all branches in the UK.

HMRC have started collecting VAT on toasted subs but not on cold subs.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Ah the woes of not being fat..
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by Lemoninfluence

haha, That must have been a funny meeting "...You what!?"
Ahh well I might be safe then, I live all the way down in Tassie.
sig goes here
Quote by Lemoninfluence

Seriously? That's taking the piss, even for this government.
Quote by CraigKing
haha, That must have been a funny meeting "...You what!?"

that's the reaction I get when I explain this to customers.

although to be honest, having it toasted should cost you extra as the toaster oven isn't free to purchase or run.

Quote by smb
Seriously? That's taking the piss, even for this government.

I think the logic behind it is that, having it toasted is a luxury and thus removes it from the 'essential items' category that are exempt from VAT

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence

although to be honest, having it toasted should cost you extra as the toaster oven isn't free to purchase or run.

Shush. Don't use logic to destroy our raging. >_>
sig goes here
I really fancy a subway now...
My Gear:

Washburn 6 String Bantam Series

Fender Mexican P-Bass

Farida Stratocaster

Peavey TNT115S
Quote by consecutive e
Ah the woes of not being fat..

...are largely outweighed by the woes of actually being fat.
that is actually ridiculous. i hate some of the ridiculous laws surrounding V.A.T. - for instance that you don't have to pay it on Pringles because they are cakes, not crisps.
But this is really really stupid.
Member of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Last.fm
I thought they've always charged for toasting, but it's been a while since I've had subbers...
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Quote by Lemoninfluence

I think the logic behind it is that, having it toasted is a luxury and thus removes it from the 'essential items' category that are exempt from VAT

subways been f'ing minted without the charge until now.
Quote by Lemoninfluence

/thread.
i work in a subway and we charge 40p, i do feel stupid telling people how much it is to get it toasted now
Subway to start with is super expensive already and it doesn't fill me up, a price hike for toasting would be dumb
i play drums and guitar :
Quote by red_hot_chili18
subways been f'ing minted without the charge until now.

I'm just saying there should be a price difference between having it toasted and not having it toasted.

and how do you know the financial status of each shop?

we sell food. that generally means we do business at lunch times, tea times and the odd snacker in between. that means we have plenty of time where the shop is taking no money, but employees, bills etc. still need paying.

if they were to absorb the VAT chances are they'd go out of business.

Quote by ashlew
i work in a subway and we charge 40p, i do feel stupid telling people how much it is to get it toasted now

it's different for different items in our one.

Quote by element4433
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Nov 13, 2008,
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I'm just saying there should be a price difference between having it toasted and not having it toasted.

and how do you know the financial status of each shop?

we sell food. that generally means we do business at lunch times, tea times and the odd snacker in between. that means we have plenty of time where the shop is taking no money, but employees, bills etc. still need paying.

if they were to absorb the VAT chances are they'd go out of business.

it's different for different items in our one.

cmon dude subways rich as f uck its all over uk usa etc etc its like charging someone to use a toilet.

i for one am not using a subway from now on.
subway is franchise operated. each store or group of stores has their own owner which they only have mild guidelines that they must follow. ive worked at one, actually still do, and ive herd nothing of charging to toast at mine, but thats upto my owner, not corporate. sucks for you guys though having to pay. but hey, a little insider information, they got new flatbreads coming out within a week or so that are pretty damn tasty. i know theres gonna be a chicken florentine and a steak one. maybe another herd spiced chicken as well. we have all the crap in the store, ive only eaten the spinach artichoke spead with chicken on a flat bread, none of the other crap yet. about as filling as a 6 inch sub. maybe more.
Quote by red_hot_chili18
cmon dude subways rich as f uck its all over uk usa etc etc its like charging someone to use a toilet.

You're stupid... Just don't get it toasted...
Quote by red_hot_chili18

The shops are franchises, not centrally owned.

let's look at it this way.

VAT is 17.5%

what's the VAT on a £5 sub? it's nearly a pound extra. not to mention the extra energy used to actually toast it.

both of those factors eat into the profits of the owner, who usually is just an average guy.

you paying 20-40p extra for something that puts at least a pound of extra overhead onto a sub isn't that bad.

Quote by element4433
Quote by red_hot_chili18

It isn't subway doing it, I don't know what VAT is but from what you guys say it seems like an English tax. So it isn't like Subway is making a profit off of it they are just pushing the tax on the consumer. Which has been done well since forever.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
That's a fucking disgrace.

The fact that this has been brought on by the government is even worse.
Quote by tayroar
It isn't subway doing it, I don't know what VAT is but from what you guys say it seems like an English tax. So it isn't like Subway is making a profit off of it they are just pushing the tax on the consumer. Which has been done well since forever.
Value Added Tax, I think it's similar to what Americans call "Sales Tax"
Quote by freedoms_stain
That's a fucking disgrace.

The fact that this has been brought on by the government is even worse.
Value Added Tax, I think it's similar to what Americans call "Sales Tax"

Ah well we still don't have to pay tax on it. YAAAAY!!!
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
They better start dishing out some BJs if they want me to keep eating their sandwiches.
When you think about it, they're charging you almost 1p for every extra second your food is cooked, and in the places getting charged 40p, more than that.

I mean that's all toasting is, slightly more cooking.
Meh, Subway isn't really that nice anyway.

I go to Greggs during college, their pastries are so damn cheap.
Quote by Lemoninfluence

But they already have the ovens there to make the little pizza's.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by Tom_hatton
Meh, Subway isn't really that nice anyway.

I go to Greggs during college, their pastries are so damn cheap.

cheese and ham bake = love
" Did You know, in Tibet, if they want something, do you know what they do? They give something away."

"Do they ? That must be why they're such a dominant global power."
Quote by loubot123
cheese and ham bake = love

I had one yesterday, along with a sausage and bean melt

They're kinda wierd though really. They charge about £2 for a baguette, yet you can buy hot, better pastries for about 90 pence each.
Page 1 of 3