Poll: would you think it will work?
Poll Options
View poll results: would you think it will work?
yes
6 8%
no
39 55%
maybe
26 37%
Voters: 71.
Page 1 of 2
we have only just thought of it today and are going to look into it deeper to see if it is possible for us.

well basically we want to set up a company, justme and my mate, and build guitars to meet what people want so someone will tell us what they want and then we will build it to exactly what they want and then we will put like an extra £20 or so on top of the bill what was needed to make the guitar. we thought it would be a good idea and it will bring us in a bit of income but i want to ask you guys if you think this thing could actually work.if you guys could leave some constructive feedback, critism or just a good luck will do fine but i dont want anyone just going "not going to work" or "no" because that doesnt really help lol. say why

thanks

ryan

My names Trevor and I hate to say it, but I have a very small penis.
The time it would take to build a decent guitar would mean that the £20 cost you'd be adding to your parts would probvably give you an hourly rate of maybe 20p each or something.
In short, you'd have to charge a lot more to really make a living out of it, let alone do well.
Quote by MightyAl
The time it would take to build a decent guitar would mean that the £20 cost you'd be adding to your parts would probvably give you an hourly rate of maybe 20p each or something.
In short, you'd have to charge a lot more to really make a living out of it, let alone do well.

This.

When I built my guitar in my spare time, it came to about £150/£200, and took me a fookin' age!
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by MightyAl

Yeah, this basically.

For that reason, I'm out!
Wait, so you're going to charge £20 extra to the cost it took to make the guitar? So you're going to make 40 dollars per guitar? What the hell is wrong with you? At least aim to make a profit if you're going to be putting in that much work.
Quote by saphrax
Yeah, this basically.

Although I don't recall anyone asking for an investment.....
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by saphrax
Yeah, this basically.

I love references I can understand. If you can work hard enough to pull this off then there is no reason it shouldn't work but it's akways a risky buisness getting into these kind of things.
i just used that as an example so put an extra like £200 on ?

edit:
i know it was a bad example tbh lol sorry

Quote by i-love-aimee

Probably too much.

You need to balance it depending on materials used, time spent, etc.

I'm guessing you're quite young and have no business experience what-so-ever?
Quote by GLP_Arclite

You'd have to be a professional woodworker or at least skilled in it somehow. You can't just go out, chop down a tree, and then start making a guitar with it, it has to be of certain types of wood, crafted to particular shapes. I'm also assuming you mean electric guitars, in which case you'd need to have some sort of skill in electrical engineering to solder all the circuits together etc.

That is why I don't think your idea will work.

Though Yngwie malmsteen was making his own guitars at around 16 years old. But that's because he's pro.
Gear

Fender Stratocaster in Red.

It's all I need.

The Anti-Anti-Ibanez Militia!
haha right you are i am 15. doing applied business though lol (y)
but i know i need to base it on that. this is why im asking for feedback and stuff like that so i know what i will be doing

Do you have any knowledge of constructing music instruments, any business connections, any promotion connections, any labourers, any initial investment or any source of materials?

EDIT: Doing applied business does not mean that you run a business. You should look at the people who are on the business course at my college.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
And at 16, there's no way you're going to be still interested in this once you realise just how much time and effort goes into it.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

ok sam but i could learn to put the circuit together and i will practise before actually doing it im going to build my own guitar before anyway.

No-one has ever thought of this before. You plan to make something and sell it but charge slightly more for it than the cost of parts? It'll never take off.
Quote by saphrax
Yeah, this basically.

Quote by metacarpi

Although I don't recall anyone asking for an investment.....

LMFAO
I See Through The Darkness My Way Back Home...
i know just mentioned it and rabid:

no i have basically no connections really i am literally starting from scratch. so i will have to make some but we dont want to be a big compan just like a guitar a month will be ok.

Quote by i-love-aimee

edit:
i know it was a bad example tbh lol sorry

Well, it would help to know a little more detail, I suppose.
Like, do you plan to basically assemble guitars(as in buy the body, neck, hardware), or are you actually going to start with wood and work from there?
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
I think it depends...what's the demand for customer guitars over there?? The economy is bad here so people aren't spending much money on anything. And if they want something, and can do themselves, that's what they do.

VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by i-love-aimee
haha right you are i am 15. Failing applied business though lol (y)
but i know i need to base it on that. this is why im asking for feedback and stuff like that so i know what i will be doing

Fixed
Right?
A friend of mine tried to start a guitar building company recently.
While the guitars he built are exquisite, there was next to no customers for it and it's just a side project now.
I wouldn't bother.
well i think i would really enjoy itmetacarpi

Quote by i-love-aimee
well i think i would really enjoy itmetacarpi

You might enjoy the idea of it, but seriously, it's hard work, and can be really, REALLY tedious.

And people your age get bored of things quicker than the average goldfish forgets things. No offence, just an observation, I was the same at your age.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

the poison: oi! :P and im actually not failing =] easy double A* anyone can get lmfao it just commom sense. and thanks oli 88

ye no offence taken metacarpi i appreciate the advise and to be honest what everyone is saying is putting me off the idea but i just feel i could do it. it just whether i would get the customers and would they pay really.

mightyal: build from scratch not assemble from pre made parts

You know you'd need money to start this right?... And it probably wouldn't work seeing as people can get the schematics off of the web and can build their own guitar for less than what you would charge
Quote by i-love-aimee
ye no offence taken metacarpi i appreciate the advise and to be honest what everyone is saying is putting me off the idea but i just feel i could do it. it just whether i would get the customers and would they pay really.

Well, you're still young. Start out doing it for the fun of it.

I started and I had no idea just how tricky and how much work actually went into it.

If you do it for fun first, there are no pressures to do it, you can take your time, and you get experience at it, and a chance to find out if it's something that you want to take further.

Like you say, you're only 15, you've all the time in the world mate.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

You need to actually build a guitar before even considering this. A guitar a month isn't exactly an easy thing to do. Even if you have a full shop at your disposal and no school or job to attend you're not going to be cranking out a guitar per month anytime soon unless you have previous experience. I say you build one first and then consider whether you think what you're asking is reasonable.
Quote by i-love-aimee

... you're not gonna write up your own buisness expenses are you?

/grammar insult
I think all the problems with this idea have already been mentioned but basically these are the major issues

1)You have no practical knowledge of running a business
2)You have no practical knowledge of building guitars to peoples specifications
3)You won't have a reputation to back you up (people tend to go to reliable people who have been building guitars for many years)
4)Building a guitar would probably take up more time than you could afford
5)The current economic climate means people aren't spending as much
6)You probably don't have most of the equipment that a business would require (for shaping, sanding, wiring etc)
7)You would have to build a few guitars first to show people that you knew what you were doing, which would cost a fair amount of money.
8)The fact that your 16 will put the majority of people off dealing with you (too young)
9)Advertising costs money, and there is a massive amount of competition for attention on the internet. Not many people are going to stumble across you.

basically I don't think its a great idea at the moment
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Quote by i-love-aimee
we have only just thought of it today and are going to look into it deeper to see if it is possible for us.

well basically we want to set up a company, justme and my mate, and build guitars to meet what people want so someone will tell us what they want and then we will build it to exactly what they want and then we will put like an extra £20 or so on top of the bill what was needed to make the guitar. we thought it would be a good idea and it will bring us in a bit of income but i want to ask you guys if you think this thing could actually work.if you guys could leave some constructive feedback, critism or just a good luck will do fine but i dont want anyone just going "not going to work" or "no" because that doesnt really help lol. say why

thanks

ryan

My mate and I. Why? Because it's simple grammar
Need Singing Advice?; Read the first page then ask questions.

Quote by punkman_123
Damn Auals, you're messed up. :P

Quote by ZanasCross
This just reminded me of the time that my brother in law texted his mom on the night after his wedding. All it said was "Consummated."
Quote by i-love-aimee
i know just mentioned it and rabid:

no i have basically no connections really i am literally starting from scratch. so i will have to make some but we dont want to be a big compan just like a guitar a month will be ok.

youd do all that for a tenner each a month??

i really dont think you've thought this through.

its a nice idea, but aside from the fact that its uberhard work, i certainly wouldnt trust a 16 year old who has no experience, and no connections for parts etc with my guitar.

i have no connection or experience, why dont i just do it myself? that way i save 20 quid.
--------------------i'm definitely the alphaest male here--------------------
thepoison: i know that is why we will raise atleast £500 before we start and then get a order. so we have the money to build it. and yes but we will be doing the labour work for them if they havnt got the time to build the guitar.....

metacarpi:i understand, i think i might scrap the idea lol i just think i would enjoy it and that but like you said there is a lot of work to go into it so i probly dont know how much work it would be and ye when i build my first guitar i will take my time with it, see how much work goes into it and consider if i would like to do it as job. and ye true i would like to own like my own guitar shop one day i know i would love that =D

mattvl: and sounds like alot and alot of work into it and ill take that into consideration

sorry for late reply had to have tea =/

lol, 20 pounds wont get you anywhere.
Just throw like 200 pounds on top of the price
kthxbai.
i know it wont i already have come across that OMGWTFBBQ and yes true guys.

Quote by FunkasPuck
its a nice idea, but aside from the fact that its uberhard work, i certainly wouldnt trust a 16 year old who has no experience, and no connections for parts etc with my guitar.

i have no connection or experience, why dont i just do it myself? that way i save 20 quid.

This
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
you guys will work a week on a guitar .. to make 20 bucks out of it.
soooo you'll have 80 bucks together, 40 each to buy food, electricity, insurances, ... + you wouldn't have enough money to buy the materials for a new guitar

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

we wouldnt do a guitar a week will put more than 20 pounds on it and we wouldnt need to pay for food and that lol only 16

Page 1 of 2