Can someone explain the phenomenon of being good/great on one guitar and completetly sucking when you switch to a different one? This is what has happened to me, and there is really not THAT much of a difference between the two IMHO. I've got my Les Paul which i sound and play great on, and I've got a Charvel strat type guitar that no matter how hard i practice, i still sound awful with. And i'm not just talking about sound, rather playing ability. I not fluid on it, my sweeps will suck, my leads will suck, my chords will suck, but then i can just pick up my Paul and eat it for lunch WTF? This makes absolutly no sense to me at all. They are both have the exact same string brands/gauges (Ernie Ball 9s) and played through the same amp with no setting adjustments or anything like that. And I find this ridculous. Can any one explain this?
Different wood densities, action is different, possibly different sized frets, thickness of the neck, just to name a few

There are many things that could cause this...
Probably 22 and 24 fret difference? had same problem here!
Gear:
ESP LTD EC-401FM STB
Ibanez AR307
Bugera Infinium 333XL
London City Bulldog
Line 6 Pod HD 300
Digitech Digiverb
Wishlist:
Pedalboard
It can be hard. I played my friend's Friends First Act Guitar, and i play a Ibanez RG120. The neck dident have smooth motion, the strings were heavy gauges, mine super lights, the neck had less frets. I takes time to be able to play on a new instrument. But with proper practis and determination you can play on anything.
I think its all about those tiniest details. Your hands remember all the details and anything thats off makes your technique different. I bet if you raise the action on the guitar you're used to your playing would suffer at first until you adjust. Same thing goes for a different guitar.
Line 6 SpiderValve 112 - Strymon SV Pre; G12-K100
Ibanez RG Custom Built - Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz
Line 6 M13
could be the different string spacing, since your so used to your LP it's throwing you off.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by lyingfromyou
Different wood densities, action is different, possibly different sized frets, thickness of the neck, just to name a few

There are many things that could cause this...

The action on both guitars are set up to the way i like it (low) and I've pretty much had them for the same amount of time.

The only real difference between the two is that the Paul is 24.5 inch scale and the Charvel is 25.5. I don't see how it could make that much difference but it does somehow.
Last edited by Pizza The Hut at Nov 13, 2008,
The frets on Gibsons are closer together.

...but honestly I think its mental.
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
String spacing/slight change in scale length might be enough to feel v.different. You'll get used to switching.