Okay. Ive had a new RG120 from Ibanez for about 5 months now. The strings that it came with have put up with hell and finally broke on me about two weeks ago.

Well now it wont stay in tune for shit.
im talking like...ill tune it. set it down (wont even play it)
and five minutes later, everything is a step down or two.

Is it the gauge that i may have changed? Im using .11s now - dont know what it was originally but it seems the same. D'addarios or whatever. They sound excellent so i dont really wanna go back to the lighter ones (assuming i changed guages) if i can avoid it.

Any ideas? Im assuming it has something to do with those two screws in the back of the guitar. Thats what my friend said but i dont know which way to turn it. Theyre pretty much all the way inside the guitar (as in, nearly completely screwed it)

Should I loosen them? or should I tighten them?
BTW - is it worth noting that i used tremelo a lot before i changed strings and it didnt really ever go out tune? I like using it - so if any remedy denies the bar, i might cry. However Its a sacrifice cause i wanna keep in tune. Haha.
- ChrisBob
I don't have an Ibanez, so I'm not sure what those screws would do, but it might have been the way you wound the strings on the tuner, i.e., they could be slipping. Still, though, maybe it has something to do with what you're talking about, but you'll have to get some advice from another ibanez guy.

Also, I just restrung my Strat with .11's for the first time, and I'm having no problems keeping it in tune, so you shouldn't have to change string gauges again.
Kay. Ill keep it in mind. I was just worried cause it seems the tremelo system is a bit higher (like...the bridge is at an angel) than it was before.

Its alright - ill take it to a techie unless someone else can give me answer and save me the trip :P thanks for the quick answers!
- ChrisBob
Your problem is most likely that you changed, unless by some freak chance you guitar was factory strung with .11's. Which is highly unlikely. Now if it was strung with .11's you might want to try stretching the strings.
Quote by RocknRollRay
If you make a clone of yourself, then have sex with yourself,

Is it incest or masturbation?
Quote by wtf290
It's not incest, but it's not masturbation.
It'd be closer to incest than masturbation, but I don't think there's a word for it.
Quote by ScottElwood
Incesturbation?
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
It's also good to make sure the tremolo is level to the body.

how do i do this?
- ChrisBob
Quote by Trynstopme
how do i do this?

Just Unscrew the screws (Turning left) until it is level. Then tune until it is a little flat. then use the little fine tuners on the tremolo to tune it perfectly. It may take a while, but hey, its worth it.
If your bridge is sitting at a higher angle, you probably did go up a gauge, but it's really no big problem. You just need to get your bridge balanced again. If your tremolo claw (the part that's screwed into the back of the guitar with several springs hooked to it) is almost all the way against the body, you'll need to add more springs. You can get them at most guitar stores that carry replacement parts. The heavier your strings, the more tension they put on your bridge, which is why you need more springs, either that or push your tremolo claw further back.
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
Did you make sure you stretched the strings?

+1 at this point...
Yeah, screw in the two screws that are attached to the springs in your back cavity to lower the bridge. Turn them in a few turns, then retune and check the bridge angle, and repeat, until it's where it was before.
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
Just Unscrew the screws (Turning left) until it is level. Then tune until it is a little flat. then use the little fine tuners on the tremolo to tune it perfectly. It may take a while, but hey, its worth it.

Wait you need more springs. If you turn left it will go higher. What a mistake.
Quote by Stickymongoose
If your bridge is sitting at a higher angle, you probably did go up a gauge, but it's really no big problem. You just need to get your bridge balanced again. If your tremolo claw (the part that's screwed into the back of the guitar with several springs hooked to it) is almost all the way against the body, you'll need to add more springs. You can get them at most guitar stores that carry replacement parts. The heavier your strings, the more tension they put on your bridge, which is why you need more springs, either that or push your tremolo claw further back.

Gotcha. that worked to get the bridge back in. i screwed em down the rest of the way and its level again. I think stretching the strings more might help me too.

The angle of the bridge scared the hell out of me - this is my third guitar and its my first with any kind of floating trem. the other two were much easier but i love using this one for pulling and dives. its so much more fun. haha. Ill let you guys know about any more help i might need. otherwise f*ck it and to the tech i go! haha.
- ChrisBob
If the bridge is higher, you're gonna have to adjust the tension of the bridge, or else it'll never be in tune.

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
Just so you know. I ment turning RIGHT.

I did that :P

Thanks everyone. If it doesnt keep itself in tune after today im sendin it to a tech.

Massive thanks and props to everyone. :]
- ChrisBob
hey i read ur thing about ur strings messin up and i think it is just cuz they are new. they need to be broke in.....it may take a while....i had the same problem.....just tune it up before u play every time and eventually they will stay tuned
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
Did you make sure you stretched the strings?

+2 at this most important of points
Without a doubt this is the problem, so stretch your strings.

Your new strings don't sound great because they're .11's, they sound great because they're new and your old strings were 5 months old...a brand new set of 9's which is what it had on originally would have sounded just as good.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com