Hello there,

i have a few questions about some stuff that are in my way of progressing.
please tell me how i can get better at a certain part or what i am doing wrong and maybe send me some links for exercises on the spicific technique.

- when i bend a string with 2 or 3 fingers, sometimes when i release the bend i get a soft ring from the string above the one i have just bended so the bend and release will sound sloppy since i will hear the other string ringing in the far distance.
i noticed it was usually my index finger or middle finger that hit the other string.

- when i play a lot of barre chords in a row with hammer-ons and pull-offs in between, like in the verse of Under The Bridge by RHCP my muscles between my index finger and my thumb start to cramp up and i cant keep on playing, am i pressing to hard with my thumb to hold the barre chord or is this just lack of practice/stamina?

- im practicing my alternate picking at the moment for accuracy and speed so i can play Last Resort from Papa Roach, got it accuracte till about 300 bmp atm but when i try to go faster it will sound sloppy and it looks like my left and right hand are out of time with eachother. i can fret it at 350 bmp with my left hand only, and pick it at 350 bpm with my right hand only. but they just dont seem to work together....

oh, and i have been playing for 3 months now, so i know i shouldnt expect to get everything perfected yet.

Thanks in advance for the advise/tips
Last edited by Robvv at Nov 13, 2008,
Quote by Robvv

- im practicing my alternate picking at the moment for accuracy and speed so i can play Last Resort from Papa Roach, got it accuracte till about 300 bmp atm but when i try to go faster it will sound sloppy and it looks like my left and right hand are out of time with eachother. i can fret it at 350 bmp with my left hand only, and pick it at 350 bpm with my right hand only. but they just dont seem to work together....

I don't know the song, but errr 350 bpm? I don't know how you can play at that tempo, unless it's 4th notes only in a 4/4 time signature or a weird time signature?
What your doing wrong:

Playing it at 350bpm.

Lying to us.

Not practicing enough.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
1) ur just bending wrong, happens to me sometimes, just bend with 2 fingers, but i a little down so lonly ur pointer hitsthe other string.

2) man up, just keep playing even if u think you can't, it'll be easier every day

3) u've been playing only and u wanna play 350bpm??? jeez man, calm down, there is no song that is 350 bpm that i no (other then trill pick). just practice
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
1) You should always (especially during bending) mute all the strings that you are not playing.

2) Practice more.

3) Practice more.
Regarding your bending problem. What probably happens is that you hit an ajacent string with your nail, which will produce unwanted string noice. If you touch the adjacent string with the part beneath the nail, it won't happen.
Moreover, you should palm mute unwanted strings with the palm of your picking hand. This will make your bending a lot cleaner.
thanks for the advice,
and sorry about the 350 bpm thing. guess thats just my lack of musical knowledge.
when i count 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4 its 90 bmp so that my metronome ticks on every "1"

ow, 1 more thing, with my picking hand i place my pinky and ring finger, or just my pinky on the pickguard.
does that matter while picking or should i unlearn that and practice with floating hand / resting palm at the bridge only?
Last edited by Robvv at Nov 14, 2008,
Nope all I can tell you is it took me about a year to learn the basics enough that I could actually use them well in a song. With that being said you gotta pratice things like this take time lots and lots of time!
In all honesty the only thing you're doing wrong is expecting too much, too soon.

Slow down, be patient and try not to worry about what you don't know and instead focus on getting good at the things you do know.

The trick to getting good at the guitar is very simple, it all boils down to attention to detail. Every piece of music you learn or even a single technique requires you to do certain things, if you get them right then you'll get the sound you want, get them wrong and you won't - of course there's also the small matter of your ears, ultimately they're whatr tells you if you're doing things right or not.

The problem everyone has is trying to do things quickly before they've actually learned to do them. you have to spend time working at a slow speed, usually a snail's pace, in order to first teach yourself whatever it is you need to know to play something. One you know what it is you need to do then you can start thinking about speeding things up, but even then it's going to be a gradual process - getting "good" takes a long time, we're talking years, not weeks or months...just keep that in mind and be patient.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com