Hey UG. I recently bought a Jcm900 4101. It is great, but the one thing that bugs me is that the volume pots are a bit weird...

I get no sound from 0 volume to about 9 o'clock, and then the sound rapidly increases, so at about 9 its fine at bedroom level, but the tiniest twitch of the knob puts it up into MEGALOUD territory, even though it is only an adjustment of a teensy fraction. Now i know this amp is oldish and thats what I put this down to, but is there anything I can do to fix / improve this? If not then its no big deal, just more of an annoyance as it is hard to set the right volume.

CHeeeers UG
What's the difference between a chickpea and a lentil?
I've never paid to have a lentil on my face!
You could simply replace the pot or have somebody do it for you.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
yeah my amp does that too, i dont think that theres really all that much you can do about it to be brutally honest my good man.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You are a bad man...I like you

Quote by gillehy
you sir should be knighted

Quote by Sleaze Disease

It's so true.

I

MUSIC!!!
Quote by skateblockade
pull off the knob and clean it

This could help but I think that the pot is just old, usually cleaning them is for when they're "scratchy".
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Well, it wouldn't be to expensive to just replace the pot and see if that fixes it.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Yeah pots are pretty cheap, if you can do it yourself it will be an easy and cheap repair.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Quote by thsrayas
Yeah pots are pretty cheap, if you can do it yourself it will be an easy and cheap repair.

hmm you wouldn't happen to know the correct value and whether it should be log or linear for the pots?

The pots in question are the master volume from channel A and channel B of a JCM900 4101

Thanks
What's the difference between a chickpea and a lentil?
I've never paid to have a lentil on my face!
I'm not sure about the log or linear, but it should say the value on the pot itself.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
it should have a clue as to the taper of it. for example it might say "AUDIO100k" which would be a log taper and a value of 100k. they are more likely to indicate if they are audio-log tapered than linear. google will surely eventually find some hobbyist that refers to stock values in their mods, or email someone at Ceriatone possibly.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R