Page 1 of 2
the VM and CV series squier are quite good
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
the VMs rival the MIMs, the CVs are real good too
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by CaptainJack666
the VMs rival the MIMs, the CVs are real good too

yeah

ive played a VM jazz and CV jazz, next on the list is a MIM jazz

the only thing i didnt like about the CV jazz was the finished on the neck but thats personal preference

Quote by froggyman
seriously...i didnt know that....i digg that bitching blue finish on the blue 60's CV p-bass....thanks!

im diggin the tort on white 60s jazz

EDIT:
http://www.squierguitars.com/products/popup.php?root_dir=&web_root=&img=prod_images/basses/0303075505_xl.jpg&name=Classic+Vibe+Jazz+Bass%26reg%3B+%9260s&node0=1#bottom

Last edited by Vampire 255 at Nov 13, 2008,
Quote by froggyman
i dig tortoise shell too but my main concern with it(and chrome) is that is would show scratches easily

yeah, scratches dont bother me too much if they aint too big tho

Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
Anything but Squier- they are cheap cheap cheap guitars.

Squier basses actually are good quality unlike their strat/tele model knock offs.

I would get an MiM in most cases but the VM and CV Squiers are as nice and in some cases better than their MiM counterparts.
^ what anarkee said

when i next go into the city ill try and find a MIM jazz to try so i can give a fair comparason

In the case of Classic Vibe series and the VM P-bass and the Fretless Jazz your better off getting the MIM.

The CV's and VM's may be well built, sure they have the Hi mass bridge and the Duncan Designed Pick-ups (which are probably marginally better than the Stock MIM parts), sure you can mod them but you can never fix the the crappy Basswood or Agathis body. The MIM has an Alder of Ash body, which is just tonally superior, IMO.

The exception is the Fretted VM Jazz which has a Maple body, which could potentially be something that you may value.
Oh Im sorry i read your post wrong. The MIM in my opinion sounds better then most quires but it all depends. You can take a MIM and spif it up. Throw a bad-ass bridge on it and etc...
There are afew high end squiers that are worth looking into, but fender MIM is really good value, and it says fender on the head
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
I think its just an unscrew job, would leave holes in the pickguard though!
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Quote by froggyman
i never got the point of them....what are they for its on the bottom away from my thumb

They're for your fingers, and you strum with your thumb. It's a playing style that was popular back when they were designed.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Squier deluxe, classic vibe, and ESPECIALLY Vintage Modifed kick the SHIT out of mexican standard, and I would venture beat some of the american standards. Not many, but some. That Squier VM Jazz bass is a STEAL.
i tried out the Squier VM fretless jazz a few days ago.

its beautiful
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
I have a MIM Jazz and the VM Precision. Right off the shelf, the VM Precision sounds beautiful with that nice gritty P-bass sound, especially when played with a pick. My MIM Jazz was just tonally meh, until I threw in an extra $150 for a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder and a Badass II Bridge. So my Jazz Bass that now has about $550 into it for me to get the tone I wanted out of it, while the VM Precision came just set for only $250. Grab some new strings, too.
Quote by Anjohl
Squier deluxe, classic vibe, and ESPECIALLY Vintage Modifed kick the SHIT out of mexican standard, and I would venture beat some of the american standards. Not many, but some. That Squier VM Jazz bass is a STEAL.

That's going way too far. My squier VM jazz--stock--would be about on par with my MiM p-bass, not better not worse. It's a good deal for sure, but not really better.

Fit and finish are about the same if not a little worse on the squier.
Pups are standard beginner crap on both. (Don't remember electronics on squier, but the MiM had high quality stuff inside.)
MiM are shielded much better.
Decent bodies on both.
Hardware is equal quality on both.

Both have been modded a bit and the p-bass is currently in the lead with a badass II bridge. All I really did with the squier was throw in some decent pups and it's quite the beast now. Better than a stock MiM for less money, but not for $280us.

The only american fenders it could be better than would be absolute lemons that any knowledgable purchaser would take back anyway.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Fit and finish are about the same if not a little worse on the squier.
Pups are standard beginner crap on both. (Don't remember electronics on squier, but the MiM had high quality stuff inside.)
MiM are shielded much better.
Decent bodies on both.
Hardware is equal quality on both.

the pick ups on the VM jazz are duncan designed
the pick ups on the MIM P are standard fenders

neither of them are BEGINNER CRAP.

they arent the best, but they aint majorly crappy.

Quote by Vampire 255
the pick ups on the VM jazz are duncan designed
the pick ups on the MIM P are standard fenders

neither of them are BEGINNER CRAP.

they arent the best, but they aint majorly crappy.

I know this, and I stand by what I said. I love fender, but it's standard p bass pups are pretty low end, and the duncan designed are about the same, maybe a bit better, though I shouldn't compare the duncan designed jazz pups to a p-bass pup. I'll concede that beginner crap was too strong, but there's definately a level of lameness in both of them, especially the P.
Quote by DeltaFunk
They're for your fingers, and you strum with your thumb. It's a playing style that was popular back when they were designed.

haha i used to play like that when i first got my bass, didnt know that it was actually an accepted style
The duncan designed (and performer line) aren't bad pickups, at all. They easily outdo the Fender standard p'ups.

But, anyone who sits here telling me that the Squier VM and CV series is better than the mexi series is an idiot. Let's look at the facts.
VM and CV are agathis, not that great a tone would, while the MIMs are alder. The frets and necks on the MIM's are smoother and better done than the VM and CV, higher qulity tuners on the MIM's and higher quality electronics on the MIM's, too. There is a reason that the MIM's cost 450 and the VMs and CVs cost 280-400, becuase they're cheaper. Now, if you were to get a VM or CS and upgrade the electronics, pickups and level the frets and get a new nut: then it would be better than the MIM, but then you're at a price over the MIM and you still have a dead sounding agathis body.

I'm not saying the VMs and CVs aren't good instruments, I'm just saying: they're not the holy grail of basses that everyone makes them out to be. Are they good for the price? Absolutely. Are they better than MIM's? Absolutely not, at least not without upgrades.

here's what I'd recomend: true duncan pups (whatever you prefer, vintage, hot or qtr pound), CTS pots, Switchcraft jack, orange drop capacitor and a Bad Ass II bridge. With those upgrades, you'll get a FANTASTICALLY AMAZING bass at a great price. But you'd get a better bass if you got a MIM and did those upgradese.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
^
the VM jazz is maple tho

Quote by Vampire 255
^
the VM jazz is maple tho

so? that doesn't make the quality of the bass any higher, just personal preferance on the bass. We're talking about quality, not maple vs. rosewood or colors or crappy binding vs. no binding. On a basis of pure quality (both of build, parts and tone), the VM's do not hold up to Mexi's.

I've personally rather by an artice white mexi P-bass, throw a bad ass on it, throw a duncan in it and a new pickgaurd and call it a day than get the VM P-bass and spend forever leveling the frets and putting a new nut on and then putting the bad ass and duncan in it and still have a crummy sounding agathis body.

That's just me, though.
Quote by Thomme
just personal preferance on the bass.

dude, u just practically ko'd urself with that line

Plug in a mexican fender, and then plug in a Squier VM. If your ears don't agree with me, you should get them checked. Unless you like flat empty tone..in that case, grab all the mexicans you can!

Seriously though, the Fender mexicans pale in build quality to the VM line also...just HOLD a VM instrument in your hands, guitar OR bass, the build quality is SUPERB.

And I am not defending the line this strongly out of some sort of "buyers remorse"...I used to own a mexican standard, and I don't own a single VM...but I have played them a LOT.

I don't agree with Fender producing instruments outside the US or Japan, it sullies their brand name. I think they should get rid of the Mexican fenders, and refit the factory to make high end squiers like the VM and CV series. One thing I like about gibson is that you don't have to check serial numbers to ensure you are getting a quality american made instrument.
Quote by Vampire 255
dude, u just practically ko'd urself with that line

no, Maple vs. Rosewood is not an issue of quality, maple vs. rosewood is an issue of personal preferance. If you like maple enough that you're willing to sacrifice quality, that is your personal opinion of how important a maple neck is, not a fact pertaining to the quality of the bass.
Quote by Anjohl
Plug in a mexican fender, and then plug in a Squier VM. If your ears don't agree with me, you should get them checked. Unless you like flat empty tone..in that case, grab all the mexicans you can!

Seriously though, the Fender mexicans pale in build quality to the VM line also...just HOLD a VM instrument in your hands, guitar OR bass, the build quality is SUPERB.

And I am not defending the line this strongly out of some sort of "buyers remorse"...I used to own a mexican standard, and I don't own a single VM...but I have played them a LOT.

I don't agree with Fender producing instruments outside the US or Japan, it sullies their brand name. I think they should get rid of the Mexican fenders, and refit the factory to make high end squiers like the VM and CV series. One thing I like about gibson is that you don't have to check serial numbers to ensure you are getting a quality american made instrument.

yeah, the week they shipped the VM's out, I scoured the state to try and find one to try out, when I finally did, it was singlehandedly the most disapointing bass I've ever tried in a store, not because it was so terrible, but I had such high expectations. After the CV series came out, I hunted down a 50's p to try, and once again, disapointed. They are not the end all amazing best bass ever that people say they are. They're great for the money, but the MIM's are just built better and made from better materials. You have to think, "why are the VM's cheaper than the MIM's, even though they have more appointments?" Take the VM P-bass and a Mexi bass and don't plug them in and just try them out. The Duncan Designed do sound better than the mexi standard, true, but I upgrade to true duncans, anyway, so it makes no differance. The agathis body, to me, just sounds dull and iffy.
He isn't talking about maple vs rosewood he's talking about the VM Jazz BODY being maple.

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Satin
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender Am Telecaster
Bad Cat HotCat 30R

Korg Pitchblack
Xotic BB Preamp
TC Flashback X4
Strymon Timeline
EHX POG 2
JHS Double Barrel
Page 1 of 2