So an idea would be to take a scale ( natural minor for example ), and bend each note to the next one. As far as licks are concerned, you have to know what scale or arpeggio the lick is based upon. Then record yourself playing this exercise, and check the recording to make sure you're doing it right. Do no trust only your ear at first, as there are many things involved at the same time and you will be better off with an objective representation of what you've been doing, like a recording. If you cannot record yourself with a computer, use your digital camera, your camcorder, or your cellphone

This is quoted from a collumn. I'd like to do the exercise but I don't really understand what it is. I don't get this line: As far as licks are concerned, you have to know what scale or arpeggio the lick is based upon.
I'm dutchie y'know
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
I think it's saying that you try and play a riff by bending to every note from the note directly below it which is in the key (or as it says the scale the lick is based on).
you have to know what note to bend the note up to (meaning what scale it is from), so you know whether to bend a half step or whole step (or more).