I've had my squire for a long time and the volume knob has become extremely loose. Can anyone tell me how I can go about replacing it? I have been looking around but haven't been able to find any info on this. Also, I don't have any experience moding or working on guitars (ie. taking them apart), so please also let me know what I'll need and how to do it.
Thanks a ton!!!!
ummmm........
you probably wont need to replace it..

..whats loose about it?

..does the plastic knob fall off?
or does it just wiggle around alot?

clear up what you mean by 'loose', and I'll try to help
is it the shaft thats loose?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Either try to slide the ends of your fingers around underneath the knob and pull, or carefully slide a credit card (or something similar) and a crew driver underneath, using the card to protect the pick guard, and carefully pry it off. Tighten the washer underneath, and replace the knob, or if need be get a new knob
same here with my tone knob, but they wires just broke of, and it seems bent
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Quote by james4
you probably wont need to replace it..

..whats loose about it?

..does the plastic knob fall off?
or does it just wiggle around alot?

clear up what you mean by 'loose', and I'll try to help

The knob wiggles around a lot to the point that it feels like it could just come off at any time...but it hasn't ever fallen off.
ummmm........
Quote by snails
The knob wiggles around a lot to the point that it feels like it could just come off at any time...but it hasn't ever fallen off.
still not that definitive.

either your knob is loose on the shaft

-or-

the pot isn't fastened securely to the pickguard

-or-

the pot is falling apart inside.

my guess would be choice #2. fix this, and fast, or the wires will eventually break.

remove the knob by pulling straight up.
you might need to wrap an old shoelace under the skirt of the knob to help pull it up.
then rotate the end of the shaft one way, then the other.
does the threaded bushing move?

if so, the nut needs to be tightened.
but DON'T tighten it, without holding the pot from rotating.
if you don't prevent the pot from rotating, you'll put so much stress on the wires that they will break.
removing the strings and the pickguard will be the most direct way to have access to hold the body of the pot and prevent it from rotating while tightening the nut.

if the bushing doesn't move, but the shaft feels loose and wiggly, replace the pot.

if the knob comes off very easily and the shaft feels secure when rotated, CAREFULLY spread the shaft apart. use caution. it is very easy to overdo it when spreading the halves of a split-shaft.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.