I have a cheap ass guitar (Ibanez GRX) and a pretty crappy amp (Peavy Rage 158). Still, I can get a not-that-awful sound using a Zoom MultiFX pedal.
However... I would like to get a much better tone both for my amp and to record in my computer. I have been doing some research and the Line 6 POD models have caught my attention because of their amp modeling features.
My question is: are they as good as they look? Can I really get a Mesa Boogie sound through my horrible gear? or at least, will my guitar sound way better when I record? If so, which model do you think I should get? If not, is there any other amp modeler you can recommend?
Keep in mind that my budget is ~ $200 to $300.
Thanks in advance for all your suggestions.
they actually sound great if you have good speakers for the output. line 6 amps SUCK though.
Another Line 6 fan. Anyway, the Pods are really nice, but they need to be tweaked quite a bit. And not all Line 6 amps suck. The SS Spiders are not that great, but they're an entry amp. Vettas, Spider Valves, and Flextones sound quite good actually.
Line 6 SpiderValve 112 - Strymon SV Pre; G12-K100
Ibanez RG Custom Built - Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz
Line 6 M13
Cool. Thanks but I don't really have the budget (or desire) to buy a new amp right now. A friend lends me a great amp whenever I gig so I don't really need to buy a new one as long as I keep freeriding.

Ok, so the PODs are actually good. But how good? Do they sound "almost like" the amps they're modeling or just "kinda nice". Moreover, are they good both for distorted and clean sounds?

I'm a little ignorant gear-wise so I need a lot of help here. All your answers are greatly appreciated.
I get a nice recto tone through my Pod 2.0. It's obviously not 100% perfect, but it's damn close. I would really recommend the 2.0 with the footswitch for all your recording needs.
The Prime Factorisation of the number of the beast : 2x3x3x37
PODs arent bad, but line 6 amps are pretty awful. Try out a Boss ME pedal, they are better than PODs, or try a Digitech RP-500 i think it is. Digitech pedals arent too bad i dont think.
Hey man, I ended up buying the POD 2.0, I wanted to be able to record with some nice tones and I didn't want to have to buy an amp...

1.) Distorted Sounds - There are about two or three halfway decent presets for dist tones, and one is almost exclusively for lead...They did manage to give one preset, I think it's 6A that sounds pretty damn good when you tweak it a bit...I found a guy on YouTube that uses it to record as well (KillerBuckEye or something like that) and he had a website where he listed all the tones he got out of it, in his case: BFMV, KSE...etc. so you could check that too.

2.) Clean Sounds - A whole mess of good clean tones, they sound especially good with the chorus and delay effects...you can get twangy to acoustic, really versitile.

Of course, all this depends on what pick-ups your guitar has...I've got passive EMG's (equiv. to the 85/81) and they sound very good for both the dist. and clean tones...but If you've still got stock ibanez pups, you may want to switch 'em out.

I saw your budget is up to 300 bucks...the POD 2.0 is 200, and for the rest you could either by a new set of pups (Seymour Duncan Hotrodded Set(?)) or an amp of speaker to run the POD through. I bought a shit crate amp, and with the POD, I can get some AMAZING tones out of it, granted this is BY NO MEANS a tube amp modeller....

*edit* Forgot you had an amp already, use that as your speaker and by some new pups....

Good luck with your choice...

-B
To qotsa, an RP-500 is also a lot more than a POD.

A POD will help your sound but it's not going to sound just like a Mesa since your amp will add it's own tone to the modeling the POD does. If you want it to sound closer to what the POD sounds like you'll have to use headphones or a PA/keyboard amp. Although you will probably be better off just getting a new amp in the long run.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Ok, maybe I didn't make myself clear enough. I'm not really looking for new or better effects. I already have a Zoom MultiFX and I'm comfortable with it. What I'm looking for is some hardware to improve my overall tone. That's why I was checking the PODs.
Well if you want better tone then you're better off getting a new amp than a POD.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
TyrsFromAbove37: Thanks a lot man. Great suggestion. Maybe I'll do that. Get the POD 2 and new pickups.
thsrayas: Yeah, I want to get a Mesa Boogie in the long run. And by that I mean in 4 or 5 years. Or more. That's why I want a quick fix right now.
This is funny but I actually have the best amp you can buy, a mesa roadking combo, but it stays at the rehearsal space. In my apt I have a line6 spiderIII 30w 112 cheapo and at low volumes it actually sounds VERY CLOSE to my mesa!!!!!!!!! (i am not crazy) OK, past level3 it SUCKS, and you could never use it for more than a practice amp but the built in gate is great for quiet practice. It is way quieter gain than on the mesa. Having said that there has been some times I have to turn it on twice before the sound works, so they are also not very reliable. Just thought I'd let you know from the only person in the world who has both a mesa and a line6spiderIII30w 112.
Last edited by Tempoe at Nov 13, 2008,
Awsome. And I guess I can assume that the POD models Mesa Boogie amps even better than that Spider amp you're talking about right? After all, that's what it's supposed to do. Am I wrong here?
Yeah man, no problem, I'm on the same track as you, looking to upgrade to that "perfect" amp in about 3 years...too bad they phased out the Mark IV...

One thing I ought to mention that I forgot to: getting the pups installed will cost at least 50 bucks, probably more, so take that into account...and Don't try to do it yourself unless your handy with electronics and soldering...
Quote by Tempoe
This is funny but I actually have the best amp you can buy, a mesa roadking combo, but it stays at the rehearsal space. In my apt I have a line6 spiderIII 30w 112 cheapo and at low volumes it actually sounds VERY CLOSE to my mesa!!!!!!!!! (i am not crazy) OK, past level3 it SUCKS, and you could never use it for more than a practice amp but the built in gate is great for quiet practice. It is way quieter gain than on the mesa. Having said that there has been some times I have to turn it on twice before the sound works, so they are also not very reliable. Just thought I'd let you know from the only person in the world who has both a mesa and a line6spiderIII30w 112.

I'm sorry but if you think that a Roadking sounds similar to a Spider III then you must be tone deaf or you need to tweak your Roadking more.

Quote by TyrsFromAbove37
Yeah man, no problem, I'm on the same track as you, looking to upgrade to that "perfect" amp in about 3 years...too bad they phased out the Mark IV...

One thing I ought to mention that I forgot to: getting the pups installed will cost at least 50 bucks, probably more, so take that into account...and Don't try to do it yourself unless your handy with electronics and soldering...

They're working on the Mark V now so you can look forward to that or you could get a used Mark IV.

And TS, you might as well learn how to solder if you're going to change the pickups in your guitar (I wouldn't recommend it since a pickup change isn't going to sound much different through modeling software, you should just save your money for a better guitar/amp) and for maintenance like new pots, switches, etc.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Last edited by thsrayas at Nov 13, 2008,
I have never tried the pod stuff but I assume that it is even better.
Quote by thsrayas
I'm sorry but if you think that a Roadking sounds similar to a Spider III then you must be tone deaf or you need to tweak your Roadking more.

You obviously can't compare the two, the Roadking is SO awesome and I am quite familiar with all of the possible sounds you can get from it. Honestly the gain level adds quite a lot of hum and kind of bugs me for a $3,000 amp but I don't hear it when I am playing. Anyways for 1/20 th the price the line 6 solid state sounds pretty good.
Quote by Tempoe
You obviously can't compare the two, the Roadking is SO awesome and I am quite familiar with all of the possible sounds you can get from it. Honestly the gain level adds quite a lot of hum and kind of bugs me for a $3,000 amp but I don't hear it when I am playing. Anyways for 1/20 th the price the line 6 solid state sounds pretty good.

We're not comparing price here, we're comparing tone. You said that a Spider III sounds pretty close to a Roadking and if you seriously think they're similar tone wise then why do you think there aren't more musicians gigging with Spiders instead of Mesas?
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Quote by thsrayas
We're not comparing price here, we're comparing tone. You said that a Spider III sounds pretty close to a Roadking and if you seriously think they're similar tone wise then why do you think there aren't more musicians gigging with Spiders instead of Mesas?

Yes we are... in a way. And I'd bet that there are a lot more musicians gigging with Spiders instead of Mesas, precisely because of the price. Still, thanks a lot for the helpful input.

But that's not the discussion in here. Do you guys have any more suggestions/opinions/info? Perhaps soundclips?
Quote by NiTrO_FrEeZiNg
Yes we are... in a way. And I'd bet that there are a lot more musicians gigging with Spiders instead of Mesas, precisely because of the price. Still, thanks a lot for the helpful input.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but have you even thought about this for a second? Musicians want the best sound they can get, which isn't going to come from a small, cheap, practice amp. Most musicians are willing to save their money to get better tone and famous musicians can easily afford expensive amps.

Look at the second and third paragraph http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesa_Boogie it has a list of famous users who use Mesa amps, there are a lot of famous musicians who use Mesas because of their amazing tone.

Now granted Line 6 hasn't been around for very long, less than 20 years, compared to Mesa, almost 50, but their products aren't used as extensively by pros because they don't appeal as much as established brands.

Now if you still want to dispute this, go ahead and find a list of musicians who are using Spiders and we'll talk, or you could just search Line 6 Spider on this site and see how many people hate them.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Quote by Highwaytohell
Why dont you just get a better amp ?

It tried that but he wants to put a band aid on a broken leg.

TS seriously, you'll be much better off getting a new amp instead of a POD unless you want to play through headphones a lot.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Quote by thsrayas
blah blah blah

Look. I don't know why you're assuming that musicians are only famous people. It is fucking obvious that the average Joe can't spend $10,000 on a hobby. That's why I said that there are a lot more musicians using relatively cheap 15W amps rather than $6,000+ professional amps. I am not getting a new amp because I am definitely not a pro AND I don't have the money. I know, I want to put a band aid in a broken leg. FOR NOW.
Quote by NiTrO_FrEeZiNg
Look. I don't know why you're assuming that musicians are only famous people. It is fucking obvious that the average Joe can't spend $10,000 on a hobby. That's why I said that there are a lot more musicians using relatively cheap 15W amps rather than $6,000+ professional amps. I am not getting a new amp because I am definitely not a pro AND I don't have the money. I know, I want to put a band aid in a broken leg. FOR NOW.

Did I ever say that most musicians are famous? No, I didn't. You said gigging musicians and I used famous ones for a comparison. Go to a local gig, check out their gear and ask them how much they spent on it, I'm willing to bet they've spent at least several hundred on their amp alone. Better yet, go find me somebody that's gigging with a Spider, especially a 15W.

Fact is there aren't a lot of serious guitarists who use 15W SS amps because they're pretty much just practice amps. You don't need to be a professional guitarist in order to appreciate good tone, and you're not going to get it through a Peavey Rage and a POD.

No, not everybody spends $10,000 on a hobby, did I ever say you should? No, I didn't. I said you should save your money and get a better amp. You can get a pretty good used amp if you would save a couple hundred more dollars instead of wasting your money on something that really isn't going to sound that great.

I was trying to help you save money in the long run. You're better off suffering with a sub par tone for a while and getting a good amp than slowly upgrading and wasting a lot of money.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Quote by thsrayas
Did I ever say that most musicians are famous? No, I didn't. You said gigging musicians and I used famous ones for a comparison. Go to a local gig, check out their gear and ask them how much they spent on it, I'm willing to bet they've spent at least several hundred on their amp alone. Better yet, go find me somebody that's gigging with a Spider, especially a 15W.

Fact is there aren't a lot of serious guitarists who use 15W SS amps because they're pretty much just practice amps. You don't need to be a professional guitarist in order to appreciate good tone, and you're not going to get it through a Peavey Rage and a POD.

No, not everybody spends $10,000 on a hobby, did I ever say you should? No, I didn't. I said you should save your money and get a better amp. You can get a pretty good used amp if you would save a couple hundred more dollars instead of wasting your money on something that really isn't going to sound that great.

I was trying to help you save money in the long run. You're better off suffering with a sub par tone for a while and getting a good amp than slowly upgrading and wasting a lot of money.

Cool, thanks a lot man.