Whenever I change my strings they seem to get the blackish "dust" on them quite quickly; it has been about 4 days since ive changed my strings and they are already feeling rough. I use ernie ball slinkies but it has seemed to do this with any other string also. Can any tell me how to stop this from happening?
Happens to all strings when you don't clean your instrument. The oils/dirt and grime on your hand rubs off and gives you that black grit on your strings.

Get a plain white cotton rag and a little dot of 3-in-1 oil (about $5 at any hardware store) and wipe down each string after you get done playing. Another thing that helps is washing your hands each time before you play, so there's less dirt and oil there that can build up on your strings. It'll make em last longer and sound better. Also, a little dot of 3-in-1 on your nut, bridge, and tuners where the strings contact will help to avoid snapping.

In addition, get a polish cloth ($3 - 5 at any guitar shop) and wipe down the body of your guitar also. The same grime you find on your strings will also collect on the body, bridge, fretboard, and anywhere else you touch like knobs and switches. It's a good practice to wipe down the body often, take a cue tip and clean around the pickups and bridge, and to wipe down your fretboard whenever you change strings. If you maintain your instrument it'll serve you well for years to come!
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
clean ur hands. clean ur guitar when the old strings are off. make sure the winder and watever ur using to cut the string is clean. dont do it in a dusty dirty garage.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I, sir, salute you!

Epiphone sg
behringer gmx1200h
MY MINI V BUILD!!!